for Printing Labels
Before getting started, visit our DYMO LabelWriter Setup article to set up your label printer.
For printing labels in bulk, DYMO’s LabelWriter software can be more efficient than ShopKeep Label Printing. This guide covers how to export your inventory items and import them into LabelWriter for label printing.
Check out our video on printing labels with the LabelWriter software below.
Table of Contents
LabelWriter vs. ShopKeep Label Printing
ShopKeep offers two label printing options to accommodate all our merchants, find out which would work best for you based on your label printing needs.
DYMO LabelWriter Software
DYMO’s software designed for the LabelWriter series of printers. Use this if you:
ShopKeep Label Printing
ShopKeep’s in-house solution for printing labels. Use this if you:
Learn all about ShopKeep Label Printing here.
Download Software, Templates, and Inventory
Before printing, you’ll need DYMO’s LabelWriter program, label templates, and a spreadsheet of your BackOffice Inventory.
DYMO LabelWriter Software Downloads
- Download the LabelWriter version for your computer.
- Open the file, then follow the Installation Wizard to finish installing LabelWriter.
Label Template Downloads
ShopKeep only supports using LabelWriter to print the DYMO labels listed below. Buy your labels and download the appropriate LabelWriter template.
DYMO Bookspine Labels (1″ x 1.5″)
DYMO Medium Labels (2.25″ x 1.25″)
Inventory Spreadsheet Download
LabelWriter creates labels from a spreadsheet of your BackOffice inventory (Stock Item Export). Follow the steps below to download your inventory spreadsheet.
- In BackOffice, click 'Analytics' and select 'Stock Items'.
- Download the .CSV spreadsheet to your computer.
With all the files installed and downloaded, you’re ready to open and use DYMO LabelWriter.
- Open the previously downloaded label template.
The template file will be named similar to: LabelWriter_[SIZE]_Label-Template.label
- In the top left, choose 'File' > 'Import Data and Print' > 'New'.
- Choose 'Next' on the Getting Started Wizard.
- Select 'Browse' and open your inventory spreadsheet.
The spreadsheet file will be named similar to: storename_stock_items.csv
Printing Your Inventory
With your Inventory spreadsheet imported, map it to match the DYMO label template.
- Check the box for “Use first row as field names”
- Drag and drop Store Code (SKU) into the first field on the label.
Delete the space after Store Code on the label, or barcodes WILL NOT SCAN.
- Drag the 'Price' and 'Name' fields onto the template. Enter the name of your business in the 4th box.
- When finished mapping, press 'Next' in the lower right.
- Select the labels you want to print and click 'Print'.
Uncheck the box for any items you don’t want to print or make duplicate rows for multiple labels.
Having issues printing labels? Visit our DYMO Troubleshooting guide for help.