QuickBooks® Integration: Advanced Topics
With QuickBooks Integration set up, now learn about using ShopKeep with QuickBooks. Review how to update account mapping, check reports in QuickBooks, & properly track liabilities like gift cards.
Table of Contents
Update Account Mapping
Advanced users can change which QuickBooks accounts receive each piece of ShopKeep data. Account mapping updates take effect during the next shift and do not affect any data already in QuickBooks.
We recommend making account mapping changes before any data syncs to QuickBooks to avoid potential issues.
- In BackOffice, click 'Settings' and select 'QuickBooks'.
- Click 'Update Account Mapping'.
- Click through the tabs on the pop-up to navigate the different types of accounts.
Don’t see a pop-up? Learn to disable your pop-up blocker here.
- Use the drop-downs to select new QuickBooks accounts.
- Press 'Save' to save changes.
Explore the journal entries and Sales Receipt that post to QuickBooks as well as some other useful reports.
Having problems with sales syncing to QuickBooks? Visit our QuickBooks Troubleshooting guide for help.
- Log in to QuickBooks the day after a shift is closed.
- Click 'Reports'.
- Search for 'Journal'.
- Select an entry to view.
Tenders Entry | Begins with TE, R# (register), S# (shift), and the date. This posts if there are sales/returns in the shift. This entry includes: total amount tendered, tax, totals by tender, and credit card gratuity.
Click for a sample view of the Tenders entry
Cash Drawer Entry | Begins with CD, R# (register), S# (shift), and the date. This posts if there are drops/payouts in the shift. This entry includes: safe drops and all types of payouts.
Click for a sample view of the Cash Drawer entry
***Both entries also display the opening/closing manager, opening/closing amount, and drawer shortage/overage in the Memo field.
Only see one journal entry for a shift? Visit our QuickBooks Integration Troubleshooting guide for more information.
Each shift also gets a QuickBooks Sales Receipt. The Sales Receipt shows a breakdown of total sales for each ShopKeep department.
- Navigate to the Journal report.
- Click 'Sales Receipt' to view.
Sales Receipt | Begins with SR, R# (register), S# (shift), and the date. This entry posts if there are sales/returns in the shift. The Sales Receipt includes: sales totals by department, returns, and discounts.
Other Recommended Reports
Check out some other frequently used reports like: Profit and Loss, Balance Sheet, Sales by Product/Service, and Sales by Department.
Profit and Loss | This report shows total income (sales, returns, and discounts) and expenses.
Click for a sample view of the Profit and Loss report
Balance Sheet | This report shows total assets (cash drawer cash, undeposited funds, ‘buy inventory’ payouts) and liabilities (sales tax, total outstanding gift card balance, and credit card tips).
Click for a sample view of the Balance Sheet
Sales by Product/Service Summary | This gives a breakdown of sales by ShopKeep department and includes total returns and discounts.
Click for a sample view of the Sales by Product/Service Summary report
Sales by Department Summary | This displays total net sales for each ShopKeep store syncing to QuickBooks. To view this report, you must enable ‘QuickBooks Departments’ during integration setup for each ShopKeep store and must turn on location tracking in QuickBooks.
Click for a sample view of the Sales by Department Summary report
- Click 'Reports'.
- Search for and click on a report.
- Select a predefined or custom date range and click 'Run Report'.
Gift Cards & Liabilities
Extra steps need to be taken in both ShopKeep and QuickBooks to ensure that sales of gift card / gift certificate liabilities are tracked properly.
Liabilities in ShopKeep
Put gift card / gift certificate liabilities in their own department to make tracking in QuickBooks easier.
- In BackOffice, click 'Items' and select 'Items List'.
- Search for and click on the item you use to issue gift cards / gift certificates.
- Set the item's department to 'Gift Card'.
- Press 'OK' to save changes.
- 'Get Updates' on each iPad.
- Follow the steps for QuickBooks in the section below .
Liabilities in QuickBooks
Update the accounts that liabilities post to so they are correctly accounted for in QuickBooks.
- Log into QuickBooks the day after closing your first shift.
- Click 'Reports'.
- Search for and click on 'Product/Service List'.
- Select 'GIFT CARD'.
- Change the 'Income Account' to 'SK-Gift Card Liability'.
If you changed your account mapping, select the account used for gift card tenders.
- Check 'Also update this account in historical transactions' and press 'Save and close'.