QuickBooks® Integration: Advanced Topics
With QuickBooks Integration already set up, now learn about using ShopKeep with QuickBooks. Change account mapping, properly account for liabilities, and view reports.
Table of Contents
Change Account Mapping
Advanced users can change which QuickBooks account receives each piece of ShopKeep data. Do this before any data syncs to QuickBooks to avoid potential issues.
- In BackOffice, click 'Settings'.
- Then, select 'QuickBooks'.
- Choose 'Update Account Mapping'.
- Use the drop-downs to select new QuickBooks accounts.
- Press 'Submit' to save changes.
Sales data syncs to QuickBooks daily at 4 am only after shifts are closed. Check out the journal entries that post and explore some other useful reporting options.
ShopKeep creates two journal entries for every shift: the tenders entry and cash drawer entry.
- Log into QuickBooks the day after your shift was closed.
- Click 'Reports'. Then, search for and click 'Journal'.
- Click to view an entry.
Tenders Entry | Begins with TE, R# (register), S# (shift), and the date. It posts if there are sales or returns in the shift. The tenders entry includes: total amount tendered, sales tax, totals for each tender, and credit card gratuity.
Click to see a sample Tenders entry.
Cash Drawer Entry | Begins with CD, R# (register), S# (shift), and the date. It posts if there are drops/payouts in the shift. The cash drawer entry includes: safe drops, payouts, buy inventory payouts, and credit card gratuity payouts.
The sales receipt shows a breakdown of sales by department.
- Navigate to the Journal report.
- Click 'Sales Receipt' to view.
Sales Receipt | Begins with SR, R# (register), S# (shift), and the date. It posts if there are sales or returns in the shift. The sales receipt includes: sales totals for each department, returns, and discounts.
Other Recommended Reports
Check out some other frequently used reports like: Profit and Loss, Balance Sheet, and Sales by Product/Service Summary.
Profit and Loss | This report shows total income (sales, returns, and discounts) and expenses (payouts).
Balance Sheet | This report shows total assets (cash drawer cash, undeposited funds, ‘buy inventory’ payouts) and liabilities (sales tax, total outstanding gift card balance, and credit card tips).
Sales by Product/Service Summary | This report shows a breakdown of sales by department over a period of time.
- Click 'Reports'. Search for and click on a report.
- Select a predefined or custom date range and click 'Run Report'.
Gift Cards & Liabilities
Extra steps need to be taken in both ShopKeep and QuickBooks to ensure that sales of gift card / gift certificate liabilities are tracked properly.
Gift Cards & Liabilities in ShopKeep
Put gift card / gift certificate liabilities in their own department to make tracking in QuickBooks easier.
- In BackOffice, click 'Items' and 'Items List'.
- Search for and click on your gift card / gift certificate item.
- Set its department to 'Gift Card'.
- Press 'OK' to save changes.
- 'Get Updates' on each iPad.
Gift Cards & Liabilities in QuickBooks
Update the accounts that liabilities post to so they’re accounted for correctly in QuickBooks.
- Log into QuickBooks the day after closing your first shift.
- Click 'Report's. Then, search for and click 'Product/Service List'.
- Click 'GIFT CARD'.
- Change the 'Income Account' to 'SK-Gift Card Liability'.
Or, if you edited your account mapping, select the QuickBooks account used for gift card tenders.
- Check 'Also update this account in historical transactions' and press 'Save and close'.