With Serverless Sync™ you can open a check on one register that uses ShopKeep.com, Inc.’s BackOffice servers and continue it on another. All checks stay in sync as long as you keep your iPads on the same WiFi network.
Watch our video on Serverless Sync:
Table of Contents
Before You Start
To ensure your system seamlessly handles Serverless Sync, we highly recommend that you follow these 4 steps:
- Update all registers to the latest version of ShopKeep.
Serverless Sync requires your iPads run version 2.6.2 or later of ShopKeep. All registers must be on the same version for it to work.
- Use the latest iPad hardware available from Apple.
In some high-volume environments, iPad 4’s (and earlier devices, including the iPad Mini) may experience significant issues. This may include checks not syncing, serious register lag, and speed issues. For best performance, use iPad Airs or later for all of your registers.
- Set up a dedicated WiFi router.
- The WiFi router must stand alone from the modem. DO NOT use a modem/router combo box.
- Don’t use shared or “public” Wi-Fi networks (like in a mall or government building). Instead, set up a dedicated wireless network for your registers.
- Don’t use a combination modem/router device. If you have one of these, put it in “bridge” mode and connect it to a dedicated router.
- Ensure that all of your ShopKeep registers are within 30 feet of your Wi-Fi router.
- Do not use Wi-Fi repeaters or range extenders.
- Ensure there is sufficient wireless signal strength to reach all of your ShopKeep Registers.
- Operate no more than 4 registers in one location with Serverless Sync.
This is our recommendation, but not a specific requirement. With more that four registers, you run the risk of more difficult troubleshooting and increased syncing / networking issues.
Check out our Best Practices for Network Setup article for other networking recommendations.
Set Up Serverless Sync
Serverless Sync runs seamlessly in the background for all of your registers that use ShopKeep.com, Inc.’s BackOffice servers. Get started with a few simple steps.
To prevent app crashes, close all register shifts before enabling or disabling Serverless Sync.
First, turn on Serverless Sync in BackOffice.
- Click 'Settings'. Then, 'General'.
- Check the 'Enable' box, press 'I’m ready!' to confirm, then click 'Save'.
- Click 'Settings'. Then, 'Register Licenses'.
- Give each register a name to help you identify it. Then, 'Update'.
With the back end set up, prepare your iPad registers to use Serverless Sync.
- Open the iPad’s 'Settings' app. Tap 'WiFi'.
- Make sure each register is connected to the same WiFi network.
- In Settings, tap 'Display & Brightness' and set Auto-Lock to Never.
Registers only sync when ShopKeep is running – if the screen is Locked, the registers are NOT IN SYNC!
Using Serverless Sync
Serverless Sync shares all your saved checks across your iPads that use ShopKeep.com, Inc.’s BackOffice servers. You can Split, Merge, and Transfer Checks as usual.
- Sign in to your registers as a 'Manager'.
- Tap 'Get Updates' (on all registers) to enable Serverless Sync.
Register List now appears under Diagnostics. Here, you can see all the registers sharing check information.
Troubleshooting Serverless Sync
If you get errors while managing checks, here are some solutions.
Check Not Found
You see this when the check is on another iPad, and that iPad is not in sync.
Visit our Checks Screen Troubleshooting guide for more help with syncing issues.