Liabilities and Redemptions
Liabilities give you a way to sell store credit to customers that they can come back and redeem later. Learn how to set up liabilities, issue and redeem them, and view reporting on their usage.
Watch our ShopKeep Gift Cards video below:
Table of Contents
What is a Liability?
Liabilities are a separate class of inventory item and are accounted for differently than normal items. Learn below about what makes liability items unique.
Set Up a Liability Item
Enable a liability tender and create an inventory item so you can start issuing liabilities at the register.
- In BackOffice, click 'Settings' and select 'Tenders'.
- Under 'Redeemable', check a box to enable one of the liability tenders.
Visit our Tender Settings article to learn about the other tenders listed here.
- Click 'Items' and select 'Items List'.
- Click 'Add New'.
- Select 'Create' under 'Basic Item'.
Items with variants cannot be liabilities.
- Fill in the item's details.
Visit the complete Adding Items article to learn more about each field.
- Check the 'Liability' box and select a tender.
- Click 'Save' to save the item.
- (optional) Add the item to the button layout.
Issue a Liability
Issuing a liability gives a customer credit which they can redeem in-store at a later point. Sell a liability item at the register to issue a liability to a customer.
- Add the liability item to a sale.
- If the liability is priced in store, enter its sales price and tap 'Done'.
- To complete the sale, select how the customer is paying.
- If using ShopKeep Gift Cards, swipe a card to load the balance.
- Finish the sale like normal.
Redeem a Liability
Liability redemptions work like any other payment tender for sales at the register.
- Ring up a sale like usual.
- To complete the sale, tap 'More...' and select a liability tender.
- If using ShopKeep Gift Cards, swipe the gift card to redeem its balance.
- Finish the sale like normal.
Keep track of issued, redeemed, and still outstanding liabilities with the Gift Card Liabilities Report.
If you are using ShopKeep Gift Cards, visit the ShopKeep Integrated Gift Cards article to learn about additional reports available through the gift card reporting portal.
Run the Report
From BackOffice, run the Gift Card Liabilities report for an overview of liabilities issued and redeemed during a specific time period.
- Click 'Analytics' and select 'Gift Card Liabilities'.
- To change the default view, click the Date icon and choose a preset or custom range, then press 'Retrieve'.
- Toggle between 'Redeemed' and 'Issued' to view liabilities redeemed or issued.
- Click the 'Show Tender(s)' dropdown to view gift certificates, gift cards, or both.
- (optional) Click 'Export' to download a copy of the report.
Read the Report
Learn to read the Gift Card Liabilities report to see how popular liabilities are at your business.
The tiles at the top give a broad overview of liability activity.
Redeemed Liabilities | Total amount of liabilities redeemed over the selected date range.
Net Liabilities | The amount of outstanding liabilities the business still owes to customers.
The default reporting view shows details on redeemed liabilities.
Tender | Type of liability that was redeemed (gift card or gift certificate).
Total Amount | Amount of the liability that was redeemed.
Switching to Issued highlights how customers are purchasing liabilities.
Item | Name of the item that was sold to issue the liability.
Quantity | How many of the liability item was sold.
Linked Tender | Type of liability that was issued (gift card or gift certificate).
Total Amount | Amount of the liability that was issued.