R7000 Nighthawk Smart Wireless Router
The R7000 Nighthawk Smart Wireless Router is a great solution for setting up your Wi-Fi network. This article details how to get started; if you need to purchase the router, visit the ShopKeep Store.
Table of Contents
In the Box
Follow these easy steps to get started with your new router. Make sure you check out our Best Practices for Network Setup article for some important networking recommendations.
- Remove the cap from each antenna. Screw the antennas into the posts on the back of the router.
For best performance, place the outside antennas at a 45° angle and make the center antenna at a vertical angle.
- Turn off the modem by unplugging it from power.
- Plug the ethernet cable into the yellow port in back of the router and the other end into the modem.
- Plug the modem into power to turn it back on and press the power button on the router.
- On the iPad, open Settings and connect to the router's WiFi network.
The network name (SSID) and password (network key) are printed on the bottom of the Nighthawk.
- Launch a web browser. The NETGEAR genie loads automatically. Follow the steps on screen to connect to the internet.
Log into the router to setup or configure various settings: update your network name, change the WiFi password, create a guest network, and more!
- Connect to the router's network from your iPad or another Wi-Fi capable device.
- Open a web browser. Then, visit: www.routerlogin.net.
- Enter your user name and password. The default user name is: admin and default password is: password.
- Welcome to the Basic Setup page. This contains all of your settings, network status information, etc.
To change the router’s admin password, select Advanced > Administration > Set Password.
Creating a Guest Network
If you want to open the network up to customers, create a guest network. Customers will be able to access the internet without connecting to your secure private network.
- On the Basic Setup page, tap 'Guest Network'.
- Check the 'Enable Guest Network' box.
- Name the guest network and press 'Apply' to save changes.
Resetting the Router
If you run into any trouble during setup or while using the router, you can reset the router back to factory settings.
- Use a paper clip to hold the 'Reset' button for at least seven seconds. Wait for the router to reboot.