To improve your experience, we’d love your feedback on how and why you use the Support Site!
TAKE THE SHOPKEEP SUPPORT SITE SURVEY NOW>>
Sales by Department Report
Check out the Sales by Department report to see how each of your departments are doing: which generate the most sales, discounts, returns, and more!
Table of Contents
Run the Report
From BackOffice, run the Sales by Department report for an overview of departmental sales activity.
- Click 'Analytics' and select 'Departments'.
- To change the default view, click the date icon and choose a preset or custom range, then click 'Retrieve'.
Read the Report
Learn how to analyze the Sales by Department report to maximize its data to benefit your business.
The charts at the top show the top 10 best performing departments by quantity sold & total sales amount.
The Table View provides detailed information about departmental sales activity over the selected time frame.
Sort the table by clicking any column header with arrows.
Totals | The total amount of each column.
Quantity Sold | The total number of items from that department that were sold.
Sales Amount | Total sales amount before discounts, returns, gratuity, and tax.
Quantity Returned | The total number of items from that department that were returned.
Returns Amount | Total amount refunded before tax, gratuity, and discounts.
Costs | The cost of all sold items minus the cost of the returned items.
Cost is calculated using the weighted average cost of an item at the time of sale.
Discounts | The discounts on all sold items minus discounts on returns.
Want to see more detail on discount usage? Check out the Sales by Discount report.
Gross Margin | Percentage of revenue left after accounting for cost and discounts.
Net Sales | The Sales Total, minus the Returns Total, and minus Discounts.
Filter the Table View
Use the filter tool to hide departments or columns you do not want to see.
- Click 'Filter'.
- To hide a department, search for it and uncheck the box. To show the department again, recheck the box.
Use Select All or Clear to show or hide all departments at once.
- To hide a table column, click 'Show/Hide Columns' and uncheck a box.
To show a column, recheck the box.
- On the table, click any row to view the items purchased from that department.
Print the Report
Use the Print feature to optimize the report to print from any printer connected to your computer.
- Click 'Print'.
- Wait for the report to open in a new tab in your browser.
The report is displayed based on the filter and sort parameters applied.
- Select 'File' from your browser’s menu and choose 'Print'.