for Grocery Stores
If you haven’t set up your BackOffice yet, visit part 1: BackOffice Setup!
With BackOffice set up, now’s the time to start getting familiar with your iPad register. Learn how to ring sales, sign in and out, use the time clock, and more.
Table of Contents
Ringing Up a Sale
Take a look at how sales work on your new iPad register. Open your shift and get started.
If you have any questions about ringing up sales, visit our iPad Register FAQ.
Check out our Ringing Up a Sale with Unit Priced Items video:
- Ring up an item.
You can scan a barcode, tap a button, or search for an item.
- Make a mistake? Swipe right-to-left across an item and tap 'Delete'.
Or, tap Discard at the top to clear the entire screen.
Selling Unit Priced Items
Fruits and veggies are just two examples of items that your grocery store may sell in bulk by weight. These are unit priced items and here’s how to ring them up.
- Add a unit priced item to the sale.
- Use the keypad to enter its quantity. Press 'Done'.
- Need to change how much? Just tap the quantity and enter the new amount.
Completing the Sale
Collect payment from your customer to finish up the transaction.
- Choose the customer’s payment method.
- Enter how much the customer gives you. Then, tap the button to confirm.
- Select an option for receipt (optional), and press 'Done'.
For more information on all you can do at the register, visit our Using the Register support article.
Signing In & Out
Each employee signs in with their unique register code to run transactions on the register. Management can print a shift report from the register or filter the BackOffice Transactions Table to track sales by employee.
Signing In & Out
- On the Sign In screen, enter your 4 digit register code and tap 'Sign In'.
If you cannot sign in, visit our Login/Access Troubleshooting guide for help.
- Tap the menu button and press 'Sign Out' to switch employees.
Auto Sign Out
Enable Auto Sign Out on the iPad so cashiers have to sign back in after a period of inactivity. This helps guard against employees mistakenly processing sales under someone else’s code.
- Open ShopKeep ShopKeep iPad Settings.
- Tap the switch to turn on 'Auto Sign Out'.
- Press 'Auto Sign Out After' and choose an amount of time.
Visit our Auto Sign Out article to learn how to sign employees out immediately after every transaction.
Last but not least, here are a few more features for grocery stores.
Clocking In & Out
Staff clock in and out for each shift so management can accurately track hours worked. With an active internet connection, time punches automatically sync to BackOffice.
- On the Sign In screen, enter your 4 digit register code.
- Tap 'Clock In' to record the time punch.
If you cannot clock in or out, visit our Login/Access Troubleshooting guide for help.
- Enter your code and press 'Clock Out' to punch out.
Head on over to our Using the Time Clock article for more details.
Credit Card Signature Threshold
Set a credit card signature threshold so Jane doesn’t have to sign for her single pack of chewing gum, but Joe does have to sign for his tremendously large cartful.
- Open ShopKeep iPad Settings.
- Tap 'Card signature threshold'.
- Choose any value between 0 and 25.
No signature required at checkout for any sale under this amount.
Enable one of the settings below so your cashiers don’t need to tap Print Receipt or Email Receipt for every transaction. Instead, receipts can be set to print / email automatically.
- Open ShopKeep iPad settings in the Settings app.
- Tap either switch to turn on.
Visit our ShopKeep iPad Settings article to learn everything there is to know about the extra settings in the Settings app.