BackOffice Setup for Recreation & Entertainment
After you set up your BackOffice, check out part 2: iPad Register for Recreation & Entertainment.
Recreation-based businesses like dance studios and music schools must accept deposits, sell services, and manage customer relations. Set up these and other key features in BackOffice before moving to the register.
Table of Contents
Items, Receipts, and Staff Setup
Begin your BackOffice setup with the basics. Add some items, customize receipts, and enter your staff.
Add Items, Services, & Deposits
Whether you’re selling a lesson, some merchandise, or a deposit, set up an item for it in BackOffice.
If you have any questions about adding or managing items, visit our Inventory FAQ.
Items and Services
- Click 'Items' and select 'Items List'.
- Click 'Add New'.
- Select 'Create' under 'Basic Item'.
- Fill in the item's details:
Priced | How the register rings up the item price.
- In BackOffice: Item has a predetermined price set in BackOffice.
In Store: Cashier enters the sales price at the register.
Unit Price: A fixed price per unit (oz, lb, ft, etc.) sold.
Sales Price | The amount a customer pays.
Taxable | yes or no. Determines whether tax is charged on the item.
Track Inventory | True or False. Determines whether the item’s quantity is tracked.
Use ‘False’ for items like lessons, rentals, and deposits that don’t have a physical quantity on hand.
- Click 'Save' to finish creating the item.
- Create an item using the steps outlined above.
Name: Deposit / Lesson Deposit / etc.
For help with any of the parts we didn’t cover, visit the complete Adding Items support article.
Paper and Email Receipts
A receipt is a record of payment, but it also gives the customer a link back to your business. Customize receipts with contact information, your website, and social media links.
- Click 'Settings' and select 'Receipts'.
- Select the 'Paper Receipt' tab.
- Fill in as much 'Business Info' as desired.
- Click 'Save'.
For information on the settings we didn’t cover, check out the Paper Receipts support article.
Email receipts contain all of the business information from the paper receipt with some added frills.
- Select the 'Email Receipt' tab.
- Fill in the information to appear on the email receipt.
- Logo | Upload your business logo for the top of the receipt.
Logo URL | Enter a URL to make the logo a clickable link.
Receipt Heading | A heading that appears under the logo.
Promotional Message | A message that appears under the Receipt Heading.
- Banner | Upload an image or enter text to appear above your social media links.
- Yelp, Facebook, etc. | Check the ‘Show’ box and enter social media links.
- Click 'Save'.
Check out the finished receipt.
Head over to the Email Receipts support article for more details.
If you have employees, add them to BackOffice so they can use the register. In BackOffice, you can track all of their sales and time clock punches.
If you have any questions about adding or managing your staff, visit our BackOffice FAQ.
Watch our Add Staff video below:
- Click 'Staff' and select 'Staff List'.
- Click 'Add Staff'.
- Enter at least a first name, last name, register code, and click 'Save'.
- Register Code | For clocking in / out, ringing sales, and cashier functions.
- Register Manager | Check this box to give access to manager controls.
- BackOffice Manager | Check this box to assign the employee their own BackOffice login.
Learn about employee settings and permissions in the Manage Staff support article.
Enter your customers so you can track their deposits and purchases, contact details, and their engagement with the social media links on email receipts.
If you have an existing set of customers, set up each one at a time through the customer list.
If you have questions about adding or managing customers, visit our BackOffice FAQ.
- Click 'Marketing' and select 'Customer List'.
- Click 'Add Customer'.
- Enter the customer's information and click 'Save'.
For more on customer management, see the Manage Customers support article.
Customer Purchase History
Check a customer’s purchase history to see when they last stopped by, what products/services they bought, and their history over the past 90 days.
If you have questions about customer reporting, visit our Reporting FAQ.
- Select a customer from the Customer List.
- Click 'Item Purchase History'.
This shows the customer’s purchase history over the past 90 days.
Track the growth of your customer base and see how customers interact with email receipts using the Marketing Dashboard.
Refer to the Customer Growth section to see how your customers base grows on a daily basis and to identify your top customers.
Email Receipt Interactions
Use the Email Receipt Interaction section to see how often you send email receipts and how often customers click the links inside.
Read more about the Marketing Dashboard in our related support article.
Here are a few more features that recreation/entertainment businesses find helpful.
Set up preset named discounts so employees can apply commonly used discounts at the register.
- Click 'Settings' and select 'Discounts'.
- Click 'Add Discount'.
- Set the parameters of the discount and click 'Save'.
Visit the Discounts support article to learn about what each part of a discount means.
Use MailChimp to send out email marketing campaigns to customers. The customer information added at the register and in BackOffice automatically syncs to MailChimp once set up.
- Click 'Settings' and select 'MailChimp'.
- Click 'Login'.
If you don’t have a MailChimp account, choose ‘Sign Up’.
- Enter your MailChimp username and password and click 'Log In'.
- Select a MailChimp list to sync customers to and click 'Done'.
Check out the MailChimp Integration support article for more detailed setup help.
Give your Point of Sales Specialist a call to get started with and order gift cards. Once the cards arrive, set up an item in BackOffice so you can sell them at the register.
If you have questions about ordering, processing, or setting up gift cards, visit our Gift Card FAQ.
- Click 'Settings' and select 'Tenders'.
- Check the box to enable 'Gift Card'.
- Go to the Items List and add a new item.
- Set the item up and click 'Save'.
Name: ‘Gift Card’, Priced: ‘In Store’, Liability: Checked, Tender: ‘Gift Card’
Learn about using gift cards at the register over in our Gift Cards support article.