To improve your experience, we’d love your feedback on how and why you use the Support Site!
for Quick-Service Restaurants
BackOffice is your first step in running a smarter business with ShopKeep. Set up your menu, assign register access to employees, and design your receipts all from one central hub.
Table of Contents
Build Your Menu
Before you can sell your world famous coffee, you need to set up your menu in BackOffice. Check out the sections below to add a menu item, tweak its options, and put it on the register layout.
If you have questions about adding or managing menu items, visit our Inventory FAQ.
Watch our Build Your Menu video:
Add Menu Items
To get started building your menu, add each menu item one at a time.
- Click 'Items' and select 'Items List'.
- Click 'Add New'.
- Select 'Create' under 'Basic Item'.
- Fill in the menu item's details.
Category | A subset of Department that is used for ticket printing.
Sales Price | The amount customers pay.
Track Inventory | True or False. Determines whether the menu item’s quantity is tracked.
Set countable items like retail goods or bottled drinks to ‘True’.
Set made-to-order items or those without a quantity to ‘False’.
- Click 'Save'.
For more on adding items, like how to track cost, visit our Adding Items article.
Set Up Modifiers
Add modifiers to an item to allow customers to customize their order. Modifiers represent the different options a customer has when they order – like the size of a drink.
- Click the 'Modifiers' tab.
Groups – Single Choice
These are for either/or choices you give the customer. For example, a cup of coffee can be small or medium, but not both at the same time.
- Press 'Add a group' and enter a 'Group name'.
- Enter the group’s default selection.
- Use 'Add another option' to fill in more choices.
Add to price | Amount to add to the sales price if selected.
Green Check | The base or default choice the item starts with.
Trash Can | Deletes the group / option.
- Press 'OK' to save changes.
Add-ons include extra toppings, customizations, etc. Customers can select as many of these multiple choice modifiers as they want.
- Click 'Add an option'.
- Enter a name and optional 'Add to price'.
- Use 'Add another option' to add more.
- Click 'OK' to save changes.
Set up “NO” options so customers can exclude ingredients that normally come standard with an item.
- Click 'Add an option'.
- Enter a name and optional 'Discount when OFF' price.
Discount when OFF | Amount to subtract from the price if the customer doesn’t want the ingredient.
- Click 'Add another option' to set up more.
- Press 'OK' to save changes.
For more on modifiers, like how to copy them from one item to another, visit our Item Modifiers article.
Register Button Layout
An organized button layout makes it easy for cashiers to find menu items and quickly add them to a customer’s order.
- Click 'Items' and select 'iPad Button Layout'.
- Type the name of an item to find it on the list.
- Drag and drop the item into a position on the layout below.
For additional help with your button layout, like how to add more pages, see our Inventory Layout article.
Staff & Privileges
Managers need to be able to open and close the shift, cashiers need to ring sales, and prep staff need to clock in and out. Set up each staff member so they can use the register.
If you have questions about adding your staff, visit our BackOffice FAQ.
Watch our Manage Staff & Privileges video:
Add each of your staff members to give them register access and to track their contact details.
- Click 'Staff' and select 'Staff List'.
- Click 'Add Staff'.
- Fill in the employee's information.
Enter at least a first name, last name, & register code,
Register Code | For clocking in / out, ringing sales, and cashier functions.
Register Manager | Check this box to give access to manager controls.
BackOffice Manager | Check this box to assign the employee their own BackOffice login.
- Hit 'Save' to finish up.
To learn more about adding employees in BackOffice, visit our Manage Staff article.
Set Manager Privileges
Manager privileges allow you to restrict access to particular discounts so employees need manage approval to apply them.
- Click 'Settings' and select 'Discounts'.
- Choose any discount or 'Add Discount' to create a new one.
- Check 'Requires Manager' to enable permissions.
- Click 'OK' to confirm.
Check out our full Manage Staff support article for more information.
Receipt & Gratuity Settings
Enter the business details that will print on customer receipts and decide how customers will sign and tip for credit card transactions.
Most quick-serve businesses prefer to print receipts since it’s quicker than emailing them. If you want to set up email receipts, see our Email Receipts article.
Watch our Receipt and Gratuity Settings video:
- Click 'Settings' and select 'Receipts'.
- Click the 'Paper Receipt' tab.
The receipt is a reminder of a customer’s experience at your business. Enter your business information to give them a record of where they ordered that delicious pastry last week.
- Fill in as much Business Info as you’d like.
Gratuity Settings and More
Finish your receipt setup by configuring the Tips and Signature setting for credit transactions and add additional info to the bottom of your receipt.
- Click the drop down for 'Tips and Signature' and select your preference.
Many quick-serve eateries prefer ‘Tip and signature on screen’. It’s faster and saves paper.
- For 'Tip and signature on screen', set the suggested tips that show on the register screen:
Choose amount or percentage and specify how much for each.
- Enter any additional info you’d like to include in the 'Extra Text' field.
- Click 'Save' to finish up.
To learn about the other tip and gratuity options, check out our Tips and Gratuity article.
Maybe everything you sell is taxed the same or maybe you sell other goods that require a different rate. Learn to set up tax rates so you charge the right amount at the register for every item.
If you have questions about tax reporting, visit our Reporting FAQ.
Watch our Manage Tax Settings video:
Set the Default Rate
The default tax rate is the percentage that is automatically applied to all of your taxable stock items.
- Click 'Settings' and select 'Taxes'.
- Click the default tax group.
In this case, Sales Tax is selected as the default.
- Enter your rate and press 'Update'.
(optional) You can also give it a new name.
Additional Tax Groups
Create additional tax groups for items that are taxed at a rate different from your default (e.g. menu items vs. retail goods like mugs).
- Click 'Add Tax'.
- Enter a name and rate. Then, hit 'Save'.
- On the navigation bar, click 'Items' and select 'Items List', Then, pick an item.