for Quick-Service Restaurants
If you have not set up your BackOffice yet, visit part 1: BackOffice for Quick-Service Restaurants.
With BackOffice set up, you’re ready to serve customers at the iPad register. Let’s learn about ordering, gratuity, discounts, and some extra settings to help speed up transactions.
Table of Contents
Ring Up an Order
This section covers some basic ordering skills. Learn to begin an order, select modifiers, and accept payment.
Start the Order
Every order, large or small, begins with the same few steps. Learn how to sign in and get started ringing up the customer’s items.
- Enter your register code and tap 'Sign In'.
- Tap a menu item to add it to the sale.
- Make a mistake? Swipe right to left across an item and tap 'Delete'.
Or, tap Discard at the top to clear the entire screen.
Visit the Using the Register article to learn more about starting orders, like how to change item quantity.
Items with Modifiers
For items with modifiers, the cashier must make some extra selections to tailor the item to a customer’s liking.
- Select some modifiers to customize the item.
Single Choice Modifiers
These appear in named groups with the base option selected by default. Tap to choose a different option.
Add-Ons and “NO” Options
These multiple choice modifiers are housed in a single ‘Options’ group. Tap to select or unselect as many as the customer wants.
- Tap 'Done' to finish up.
- Make a mistake? Tap the line item to make changes.
Want to see which modifiers are your most popular? Visit the Modifiers article to run a report.
Complete the Sale
Accept payment from your customer to finish up their order and complete the sale.
- Choose a payment tender.
Here we will use ‘Cash’.
- Enter the amount the customer hands you and tap ‘Cash’.
- If necessary, give change. Print/email the receipt (optional) and tap 'Done'.
Visit the Split Tender article to learn how to split the order total between multiple different tenders.
Tips & Gratuity
Customers enjoy leaving tips on the iPad. Businesses like how simple it is to pay out gratuity to their staff.
Check out our Tips & Gratuity at the Register video:
Leave a Tip
Customers can leave a tip when paying by credit card or Apple Pay. Make sure you’re set up for Tip & Signature on screen as previously recommended.
- Tap 'Credit'.
- Swipe the credit card through your reader or use Apple Pay.
Trouble reading the card? Tap ‘Manual Card Entry’ to key in the details.
- The customer chooses a preset or custom tip amount. Then, they sign the screen with their fingertip.
There’s also an option for No Tip.
- Tap 'Charge'.
- Select an option for receipt (optional) and tap 'Done'.
Check out the Tips and Gratuity article to learn about tipping on paper receipts.
Pay Out Gratuity
Do a single payout for all gratuity to split amongst your staff or check the shift report to see how much each person accrued.
- Sign in as a manager.
- On the Control Panel, tap 'Pay In / Payout'.
- Choose 'Non-Cash Gratuity'.
Total gratuity for this register’s shift is displayed. This total is unaffected by payouts.
- Enter an amount to pay out and tap 'Continue'.
- Enter a comment (optional) and tap 'Done'.
- Tap 'No Sale' to open the till and remove the cash.
To learn about other kinds of payouts, visit our Pay Ins & Payouts article.
Discounts at the Register
You saw how to create custom discounts in our BackOffice guide. Now, learn how to apply a discount to an order at the register.
Watch our Discounts at the Register video:
- Tap the discount button for a line-item or the entire transaction.
- Choose a discount.
For open discounts, enter the $ amount or % using the keypad and tap ‘Done’.
If required, enter a valid manager code and tap ‘Verify’.
For more on discounts, both at the register and in BackOffice, visit our Discounts article.
Here are a couple of settings hand-picked to help make serving your customers that much more efficient.
- Open the iPad's 'Settings' app.
- Scroll down on the left side and tap 'ShopKeep'.
Card Signature Threshold
Set a signature threshold to streamline credit transactions. Sales that are under the amount you pick will not require a customer signature.
- Tap 'Card signature threshold'.
- Choose a value between 0 and 25.
Always Print / Email Receipt
Want customer receipts to print or email by default? Switch on one of these options to shave a few seconds from the time it takes to complete an order.
- Toggle one or both of the switches on.
Visit our iPad Settings for ShopKeep article to learn about some more ShopKeep settings.