To improve your experience, we’d love your feedback on how and why you use the Support Site!
TAKE THE SHOPKEEP SUPPORT SITE SURVEY NOW>>
This guide is meant to help you fix common BackOffice inventory issues. Whether you’re having trouble browsing items or using Bulk Management, continue below for help.
Table of Contents
- Inventory Item Issues
- The Items List only displays 10 items.
- An item’s quantity is stuck at 0 and unaffected by sales / returns.
- Some items have a negative quantity.
- I added new items but can’t ring them up on the register.
- The cost / quantity of an item is wrong.
- How do I delete an inventory item?
- Bulk Management Issues
- “Imported file is invalid”
- There were errors with my Bulk Management job.
Inventory Item Issues
This section focuses on problems you may encounter while browsing and managing inventory items.
The Items List only displays 10 items.
By default, the Items List displays the 10 most recently modified stock items.
- Click to change the number of items per page.
- Click through the page numbers to browse the rest of the items.
An item’s quantity is stuck at 0 and unaffected by sales / returns.
This means the item’s ‘Track Inventory’ setting is disabled. Sales and returns are still recorded, but the system does not keep track of the number of units on hand.
Follow the steps below to begin tracking an item’s quantity.
- Select an item from the Items List.
- Turn on the 'Track Inventory' setting.
For basic items, change ‘Track Inventory’ to ‘True’ and click ‘OK’.
For items with variants, toggle on ‘Track inventory’ and click ‘Save’.
- Adjust quantity on hand to the appropriate amount.
Some items have a negative quantity.
When an item’s quantity is 0 and you continue selling it, the quantity becomes negative.
I added new items but can’t ring them up on the register.
Whenever you add items, Get Updates on the register to sync the iPad with BackOffice.
The cost / quantity of an item is wrong.
If you need to fix just the quantity of an item, use Adjust Inventory.
Visit our Weighted Average Cost article to learn how use Bulk Management to fix incorrect item costs. Be aware that changing cost in this way will overwrite your items’ average cost calculations.
How do I delete an inventory item?
Delete an item in BackOffice to completely remove it from your inventory.
If you delete an item and re-add it later, labels printed for that item will not scan at the register. New item labels will need to be printed.
- Select an item from the Items List.
- Click 'Delete' or 'Delete Item'.
- Click 'Continue'.
Bulk Management Issues
This section focuses on issues you may run into while using the Bulk Manage Items feature.
“Imported file is invalid”
If you see this error or run into an error page after uploading a Bulk Management spreadsheet, it means your import file was saved incorrectly. Visit the Spreadsheets for Bulk Imports article for help saving the spreadsheet in the correct format.
There were errors with my Bulk Management job.
The first step in resolving Bulk Management errors is to figure out what went wrong. Luckily, there is an error log that accompanies every faulty Bulk Management job.
- On the Bulk Management page, click 'Download errors (CSV)'.
- Open the file in spreadsheet software.
If you don’t have spreadsheet software, try Open Office for free.
- Review the first column to see each item’s error:
Name already used – An item with the same Name exists in inventory or in the import. Item names must be unique. Remove all duplicates from the file.
- CSV file contains duplicate item names – Multiple items on the import spreadsheet have the same name. Item names must be unique. Remove all duplicates from the file.
- Name can’t be blank – The Name field was left blank. Fill in a name for each blank item.
- Name is too long – Item names must be less than 255 characters. Shorten the name of any item over this length.
- Option Name cannot have more than 25 characters – Option Names must be less than 25 characters. Shorten the name of any Option over this length.
- Option Value(s) cannot be blank if Option Name has a value – Each Option must have some Values. Add values to each Option.
- Option Value(s) cannot contain a value of Option Name is blank – Each set of Option Values must have a Name. Add an Option Name for each set of Values.
UPC must be either 8, 12, or 13 digits – ShopKeep only accepts UPC codes that are 8, 12, or 13 digits long. Fix UPC codes that do not match this length. If UPC’s are in scientific notation or missing leading 0’s, check the formatting of this column.
UPC may not begin with 2, 4, or 5. – UPC codes cannot begin with a 2, 4, or 5. Fix UPC codes that begin with these numbers. If UPC’s are in scientific notation or missing leading 0’s, check the formatting of this column.
UPC already used – An item with the same UPC exists in inventory or in the import. Fix UPC codes that are duplicates. If UPC’s are in scientific notation or missing leading 0’s, check the formatting of this column.
UPC may only contain digits – UPC codes cannot contain letters, only digits 0-9. Remove any letters from your UPC’s.
Cost and Quantity must both be zero when Track Inventory is ‘false’ – Set Track Inventory to ‘true’ or leave Quantity and Cost blank.
There is no Tax Group called ‘(tax)‘. Please use an existing group or create a new one. – Tax groups must be manually added to BackOffice before you can assign items to them.
If all of your items use the same tax rate, delete the ‘Tax Rate’ column and try the import again.
Register Status must be either active or inactive. – The Register Status column can only accept a value of ‘active’ or ‘inactive’. Set the status of each item to one of these values.
No item associated with ID – ShopKeep needs each item’s Item UUID to modify or delete items in bulk. Run a fresh Stock Items Export and try again.
- Correct each error and re-import the affected items.