Barcode Scanner Troubleshooting
Table of Contents
- Connection & Pairing Issues
- My iPad’s Bluetooth Settings say the scanner is “Not Connected.” It won’t switch back to “Connected.”
- After pairing with my personal iPad, the scanner won’t pair with my business iPad.
- Scanning on the iPad
- My items aren’t appearing when I scan them on the iPad, is the scanner working?
- I just added new items and they’re not appearing when I scan them.
- After pairing the scanner, the iPad keyboard isn’t coming up anymore.
- Miscellaneous Issues
- I lost my scanner’s charging cable. Help!
- I lost my scanner’s manual and need the barcode to factory reset it or change its connection mode (HID vs iOS).
Connection & Pairing Issues
This section covers connection issues that might appear after you’ve connected the scanner.
My iPad’s Bluetooth Settings say the scanner is “Not Connected.” It won’t switch back to “Connected.”
Make sure the scanner is powered on and near the iPad. Then, follow the steps below.
- On the iPad, open Settings and tap 'Bluetooth'.
- Press the Bluetooth info icon ('i') next to the Socket CHS device.
- Tap 'Forget This Device'. Then, 'OK'.
- Tap 'Socket CHS' in your Bluetooth settings to reconnect the scanner.
After pairing with my personal iPad, the scanner won’t pair with my business iPad.
The scanner can be connected to only one device at a time. Reset it to factory settings to pair with another iPad.
- Hold the large scan button until the laser disappears.
- While continuing to hold the scan button, tap the small power button once.
- Keep holding the scan button until you hear the scanner beep.
- Release the scan button. The scanner will beep 5 times and turn off.
- Power the scanner back on and pair it with your iPad.
Scanning on the iPad
Having problems with the scanner after you’ve connected it? We’ve got you covered.
My items aren’t appearing when I scan them on the iPad, is the scanner working?
Check to see if your scanner is actually paired with the iPad and communicating with ShopKeep from inside the register app.
- Open ShopKeep, and visit the Transactions screen.
- Tap the item search field in the top right and scan a barcode.
- If no numbers appear in the search field, reconnect the scanner to the iPad.
- If numbers do appear in the search field, tap 'Get Updates' and try again.
If you don’t see ‘Get Updates’ on the Control Panel, it’s because you’re not logged in as a manager. Have a manager log in to the app.
I just added new items and they’re not appearing when I scan them.
If you entered a UPC for the item in BackOffice, check that you entered it correctly. Then, tap Get Updates from the register Control Panel to sync with your BackOffice and try again.
If the problem persists, use the steps above to check if the scanner is talking to the iPad.
After pairing the scanner, the iPad keyboard isn’t coming up anymore.
Quickly double-tap the small power button on top of the scanner to open and close the iPad’s keyboard. Or, put the scanner in iOS Mode and the keyboard will pop up automatically when needed.
I lost my scanner’s charging cable. Help!
Not to worry… Just visit the ShopKeep online store to order a replacement.
I lost my scanner’s manual and need the barcode to factory reset it or change its connection mode (HID vs iOS).
First, remove the scanner’s battery cover to locate its model number and determine which set of barcodes you need. The command barcodes need to be printed and cannot be scanned from a screen.
If changing the scanner’s mode, forget the device on your iPad, scan the barcode, and reconnect it.
View barcodes here: