This feature is only available for ShopKeep merchants on select pricing packages.
QuickBooks® Integration Setup
ShopKeep integrates with QuickBooks Online to automatically sync register totals to your QuickBooks account and simplify how you balance the books.
Watch our QuickBooks Integration Setup video:
Table of Contents
Add QuickBooks Integration
If QuickBooks integration is not part of your current pricing package, follow the steps below to upgrade to a package that includes QuickBooks integration.
- Sign into BackOffice as the Business Owner or as an employee with 'Manage Account' and 'Manage QuickBooks Integration' permissions.
Learn more about customizing BackOffice access here.
- Click ‘Integrations’ and select ‘QuickBooks Accounting’.
- Click ‘Add QuickBooks Integration’.
Don’t see this page? Contact us to ask about upgrading your pricing package.
- Follow the prompts to upgrade to a pricing package that includes QuickBooks integration.
- Follow the steps to sign up for a QuickBooks account or link an existing QuickBooks account.
Sign Up for QuickBooks
Sign up for an account to start using QuickBooks. Users who already have an account can skip ahead to the Enable QuickBooks Integration section.
- Sign into BackOffice as the Business Owner.
- Click 'Integrations' and select 'QuickBooks Accounting'.
- Click the link to sign up for a new account.
- Select 'Buy Now' or 'Free Trial' and pick a version.
Note: QuickBooks Self-Employed is not supported.
- Enter your information and click 'Create account'.
- Follow the remaining prompts to finish QuickBooks account setup.
- Complete the steps below to enable the QuickBooks integration with ShopKeep.
Never used QuickBooks before? Visit our Advanced Topics FAQ for links to helpful tutorials, webinars, and other resources from Intuit.
Enable QuickBooks Integration
Once you have a QuickBooks Online account, link it to ShopKeep to enable QuickBooks integration and begin automatically syncing register data.
Before enabling the integration for the first time, you must set up sales tax in QuickBooks Online. Failure to do so may result in syncing issues. For help setting up tax in QuickBooks, visit QuickBooks support.
- Disable your web browser's pop-up blocker.
- Sign into BackOffice as the Business Owner.
- In BackOffice, click 'Integrations' and select 'QuickBooks Accounting'.
- Click 'Connect to QuickBooks'.
- Enter your QuickBooks login information into the pop-up and click 'Sign In'.
Don’t see a pop-up? Learn to disable your pop-up blocker here.
- Click 'Connect'.
- Click 'Complete Setup'.
- Review how QuickBooks integration works, choose whether to post individual transactions or summaries to QuickBooks, and click 'Next'.
- Summaries (default) | Posts a summary of each register shift as a single Sales Receipt soon after the shift is closed.
- Individual Transactions | Posts each sale and return as a separate Sales or Refund Receipt soon after being performed.
- Click ‘Select Accounts’ to allow setup of the default ShopKeep accounts and items in QuickBooks and choose which QuickBooks accounts ShopKeep data will sync to.
- (Optional) Update the default QuickBooks account mappings.
- (Optional) Enable settings for posting locations, non-cash gratuity payouts, and cash expense payouts.
- Click ‘Save’.
- Click 'Done' to complete the integration setup.
Frequently Asked Questions
Continue below for answers to some common questions about QuickBooks Integration.
Which versions of QuickBooks does ShopKeep integrate with?
QuickBooks integration works with three versions of QuickBooks Online: Simple Start, Essentials, and Plus.
Note: The Self-Employed version of QuickBooks Online is not supported.
Can I use ShopKeep’s integration with QuickBooks for PC / Mac?
No. If using QuickBooks for PC/Mac, set up QuickBooks integration through the ShopKeep integration with SHOGO. Visit the QuickBooks® via SHOGO article to learn how to sign up.
Can I use ShopKeep’s QuickBooks integration internationally?
At this time, QuickBooks integration is only available to businesses located in the United States and Canada.
What information does ShopKeep sync to QuickBooks?
ShopKeep syncs sales, returns, tender amounts, taxes, discounts, and payouts that occur after enabling the integration. Depending on the posting method chosen during setup, this information will either post as a single summary or as a series of individual transactions. Other information, including data from shifts closed before setting up the integration, does not sync to QuickBooks.
Do I need to do anything to make my data sync?
If using the ‘Summaries’ posting method, you must close register shifts every day. For this posting method, data is sent automatically from ShopKeep to QuickBooks shortly after each register shift is closed. If a register shift is left open, totals for that shift will not sync to QuickBooks until after it is closed.
If using the ‘Individual Transactions’ posting method, no action is required as transactions will automatically sync to QuickBooks shortly after being completed at the register.
Can I manually import data into QuickBooks?
QuickBooks allows certain types of information to be imported, but ShopKeep cannot provide support to help with this. If you need help importing data to QuickBooks, visit QuickBooks Online Support.
I set up my QuickBooks Integration. Now what?
Visit our QuickBooks® Integration: Advanced Topics article to learn how to update account mappings, change posting methods, check which ShopKeep register shifts have synced, view pending transactions, and access QuickBooks reporting.
How can I get help with QuickBooks Integration?
Visit our QuickBooks Integration Troubleshooting guide for help solving some common problems.
If you have more questions about QuickBooks integration, visit our Advanced Topics FAQ.