This feature is only available for ShopKeep merchants on select pricing packages.
ShopKeep Integrated Gift Cards
Sell gift cards, manage balances, and track liabilities from the iPad register while you keep track of sales and specific card information from the Gift Card Reporting Portal.
Watch our ShopKeep Gift Cards video below:
Table of Contents
Get Gift Card Processing
You need to set up processing and order cards before you can accept integrated gift cards at the register.
- Contact us to sign up for gift card processing and order gift cards.
Note: If you have questions about ordering, setting up, or processing gift cards visit our Gift Card FAQ.
Set Up Liability Tracking
Set up the gift card liability in BackOffice to enable integrated gift cards and specialized reporting. Then, create a stock item for selling gift cards at the register.
- Click 'Settings' and select 'Tenders'.
- Check the box next to 'Gift Card'.
- Go to the Items List and add a new item: Gift Card.
- Change 'Priced' to 'In Store'.
- Check the 'Liability' box and set 'Tender' to 'Gift Card'.
This will automatically make the item non-taxable.
- 'Save' the item. Then, place it on your button layout.
Gift Cards at the Register
Once you’re set up, learn how to use gift cards at the register.
Issue a Gift Card
Sell a gift card like any other item. Open pricing lets you choose the value when you sell it.
- Tap to add the Gift Card item to a sale.
- Use the keypad to enter the amount. Press 'Done'.
- Choose a tender to process the sale as usual.
- When prompted, swipe a gift card through your card reader.
- Tap the green button to add amount to the card.
- Tap 'Continue to Payment' to finish the sale and print / email a receipt.
Gift cards aren’t included in your total sales until the customer comes back to redeem. Learn how liabilities are accounted for in Liability Reporting.
Check the balance on a customer’s gift card, so they know how much they can redeem.
- Open the Control Panel and tap 'Gift Cards'.
- Swipe the gift card to see the balance.
Problems checking the balance? Visit our Cashier Functions Troubleshooting guide.
Redeem a Gift Card
Redeem gift cards by closing a transaction out, like normal, to the Gift Card tender.
- Tap 'More…' and select 'Gift Card'.
Don’t see the ‘Gift Card’ tender? Visit our Transactions Screen Troubleshooting guide for help.
- Swipe the customer’s gift card to charge it.
- If the gift card balance covers the sale, complete the transaction as usual.
- If the balance is insufficient, tap 'Add an Additional Payment' to finish the sale as a Split Tender.
Gift Card Reporting Portal
View sale / redemption totals by location, see the entire history of a single card, and generate other comprehensive reports on gift card usage. Check your account’s email for login credentials and follow the instructions below to begin.
- Log in here.
- Enter your reporting portal username/password and select 'Login'.
Check the email associated with your ShopKeep account for these credentials. After you log in for the first time, use Change Password to reset the temporary password.
Merchant Detail | Lists each individual gift card transaction across all business locations.
Click for a sample Merchant Detail report
Merchant Summary | Gives combined totals for each transaction type across all business locations.
Transaction types include: Load Amount (add amount to card) & Sale Amount (redeem card on a sale).
Click to view a sample Merchant Summary report
Location Detail | Select a business location to retrieve a list of its transactions.
Click to view a sample Location Detail report
Location Summary | Select a location to see summary totals for each transaction type.
Click to view a sample Location Summary report
Single Card History | Enter a card number to see every time it’s been loaded or used in a sale.
Click for a sample Single Card History report
Liability Detail | See the balance of every gift card for all locations as of a particular date.
Click for a sample Liability Detail report
Liability | Transaction totals for all locations up to the selected date including liabilities not yet redeemed.
Click for a sample Liability report
- Pick a date / date range and tap 'Run Report'.
- (Optional) Use the search field to filter the report based on the value of any column.
For example, search ‘Sale Amount’ to see only transactions where a gift card was used on a sale.
- (Optional) Select 'Export to CSV' or 'Export to Excel' to download a spreadsheet of the report.