Star Integrated Weight Scale Setup
The Star Micronics mG-S8200 Scale integrates via a wireless Bluetooth or wired USB connection with your Android tablet or Sunmi T2 Lite to automatically enter the weight of unit priced items into the ShopKeep Register app as they are being sold. After setting up the scale hardware, connect the scale to a compatible register to begin using it to weigh unit priced items in ShopKeep.
IMPORTANT: Laws regulating the use of scales in commercial transactions vary by state and region. Before using a scale to weigh and sell products, you must research and follow all local guidelines. For example, some US states require scales to be registered and set up by a licensed technician. Not obeying these rules may result in fines and legal action against your business. Learn about the scale requirements for each US state here.
Table of Contents
In the Box
The Star mG-S8200 Scale ships with the parts listed below.
Scale Hardware Setup
Complete the basic steps of installing the scale weighing pan, connecting the scale to power, leveling the scale, and turning it on to prepare the scale to be connected to the ShopKeep Register app.
To learn how to properly care for the scale hardware after setting it up, visit our best practices guide.
- Place the scale on a flat, level, and stable surface.
- Set the pan base on top of the scale with the word ‘FRONT’ on the base facing up and toward the display on the scale.
- Insert the pan base screw into the center of the base and tighten it.
- Place the weighing pan on the pan base.
- Plug the AC adapter into the back of the scale and the other end into a power outlet.
Don’t have a power outlet close by? The scale can also operate on 4 AA batteries. To learn how to install batteries, visit page 95 of the included operation manual.
- (Optional) Connect the scale to a register via USB cable.
Plug the included USB cable into the back of the scale.Plug the other end of the USB cable into a USB hub (sold separately) or into any available USB port on a Sunmi T2 Lite.If using a Sunmi T2 Lite, skip steps 6c – 6d.Plug the USB hub into the charging port on the tablet.(Optional) If the hub has a charging port, plug in a charging cable and connect the other end to a power adapter to charge the tablet.
- For USB setup with an Android tablet, a USB hub (sold separately) compatible with your tablet is required. To charge the tablet when a USB hub is connected, use a hub with a built-in charging port. Using our supported Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2019) tablet? Purchase our recommended USB-C hub here.
- For USB setup with a Sunmi T2 Lite, no USB hub is required.
- Make sure the bubble in the level on the front of the scale is centered.
If the bubble is not centered, twist the 4 feet on the scale, as necessary, to adjust it. For additional help leveling the scale, see page 9 of the included operation manual.
- Press each corner of the scale to make sure all 4 feet are touching the counter.
- Press the ‘On/Off’ button to power on the scale, then wait for the scale to perform a self-check.
The self-check takes about 10 – 15 seconds. Once completed, the scale will enter weighing mode.
- If the scale does not display ‘0’ when no items are on the weighing pan, press the ‘→0←’ button to reset the zero-point.
- Follow the steps to connect the scale to the ShopKeep Register app.
Connect to ShopKeep
With the scale hardware set up, open the ShopKeep Register app on your Android tablet or Sunmi T2 Lite to connect the scale to ShopKeep and finish setup.
- In ShopKeep, open the register menu and tap ‘Setup’.
- Select ‘Weight scales’.
Don’t see ‘Weight scales’? Visit our troubleshooting guide for help.
- Toggle the switch next to the scale to enable it.
The scale is now ready to weigh unit priced items in ShopKeep.
Change the Unit of Measurement
The Star Micronics mG-S8200 Scale can weigh items in ounces, pounds, or grams with a minimum reading of 1 gram. Change the unit of measurement on the scale to match whatever is used for a specific unit priced item.
Below we will refer to the blue buttons under the display on the scale as F1, F2, F3, and F4 (from left to right), even though they are not labeled that way on the scale.
- Press the ‘Menu’ button.
- Press the F4 button.
- Press the F2 button until '12 UNIT' is shown on the scale display.
- Use the F4 button to select ‘↵’.
The currently selected unit of measurement will begin blinking.
- Use the F1 and F2 buttons to change the unit of measurement.
Select ‘OZ’ (ounces), ‘LB’ (pounds), or ‘g’ (grams).
- Press the F4 button to confirm the unit selection.
- Use the 'Menu' button to return to weighing mode.
Use the tare function on the scale to subtract the weight of a container used to help weigh an item, leaving the net weight of the item being weighed.
- Place an empty container on the scale.
- Press the ‘→T←’ button on the scale to tare the weight of the container.
The reading on the scale display will reset to 0.
- Place the item being weighed into the container on the scale.
The scale will display only the weight of the item because the weight of the container was removed using the tare function in the previous step.
- After weighing the item, remove it from the scale.
- If the scale does not reset to 0, press the ‘→0←’ button on the scale to clear the tare weight.
Weigh Items at the Register
At the register, ring up a unit priced item and place the item on the scale to have its weight automatically entered into the ShopKeep Register app on an Android tablet or Sunmi T2 Lite.
Scale integration is only available on the latest compatible versions of the ShopKeep Register for Android. This scale will not connect to the ShopKeep Register for iOS, the ShopKeep Register on The Mini / The Station, or ShopKeep Pocket. For help updating the Android ShopKeep Register app, visit the Introduction to Android article.
- In ShopKeep, ring up a unit priced item and leave the numerical keypad open.
- (Optional) Place an empty container on the scale and press the ‘→T←’ button on the scale to tare the weight of the container.
- Place the item being weighed on the scale.
- In ShopKeep, verify the weight entered into the quantity field, then tap ‘Done’.
Having trouble weighing items? Visit our troubleshooting guide for help.
- Remove the item from the scale.
If the scale does not reset to 0, press the ‘→0←’ button on the scale to clear the tare weight.
- (Optional) To override the weight entered from the scale, tap the quantity and enter a new value.
- Complete the sale in ShopKeep.
Turn the Scale Off and On
Turn the scale off when it will not be used for an extended period of time. When the scale is needed again, turn it back on.
- To turn the scale off, hold the ‘On/Off’ button for 2 seconds until only an asterisk is left on the display.
- To turn the scale on, clear any items off the weighing pan, press the ‘On/Off’ button, and wait for the display to show ‘0.00’.