Organizing your inventory in departments and categories not only makes it easy for you to find items in the Items List but also helps you track sales trends. Once items are entered into BackOffice, it’s easy to manage departments and categories.
Watch our Organize Inventory video below:
Table of Contents
Access the Items List
Follow the instructions below to navigate to your Items List.
- In BackOffice, click 'Items' and select 'Items List'.
Search for Items
You can search for items by description, UPC code, store code, department, category, or supplier.
- Use the 'Search' field to find an item or group of items.
- Click 10, 25, 50, or 100 to set the number of items you’d like to display on each page.
If you notice issues with items on your Items List, visit our Items Troubleshooting guide for help.
Sort the Items List
The Items List can be sorted by description, cost, price, margin, markup, quantity on hand, or total value.
- Click one of the headings to put the list in ascending order (A to Z, least to greatest).
- Click that same heading again to put the list in descending order (Z to A, greatest to least).
In the example below, the Items List is sorted in descending order by quantity on hand.
To learn how to view details about items with variants on the Items List, visit our Items with Variants in BackOffice article.
Departments & Categories
Browse the sections below to learn how to view your departments/categories, see the number of items contained in each, and delete ones you’re not using.
Departments and categories can help reveal which types of items are most popular. Visit the Sales by Department & Sales by Category Report articles to learn how to view sales in terms of these groupings.
Departments and Categories
Follow these steps to get started managing departments and categories.
- In BackOffice, click 'Items' and select 'Departments & Categories'.
Delete a Category
Use these instructions to remove unneeded categories.
- Make sure there are no items in the category you’re deleting.
If necessary, use Bulk Management to move items out of the category.
- Click the 'Delete' button.
- Click the button to confirm you’d like to remove the category.
Delete a Department
Deleting a department is just like deleting a category. Follow these steps to get started.
- Make sure there are no items in any category within the department.
If necessary, use Bulk Management to move items into another department.
- Click the 'Delete Department' link.