Best Practices for ShopKeep Apps
The point of sale system is one of the most important parts of a business. Keep ShopKeep Register and ShopKeep Pocket for iOS / Android running efficiently by updating each as needed and following the other best practices below.
Table of Contents
ShopKeep Register App
ShopKeep delivers new features, bug fixes, and more reliable performance with each update to our Register App. For the best possible experience, follow our directions to update your ShopKeep Register whenever a new version is released.
If you need help downloading ShopKeep, visit our Introduction to the iPad support article.
Supported Register Versions
Never delete the app unless asked by a Customer Care Advisor. You run the risk of permanently deleting register data by deleting the app or without properly deactivating your register.
Check Register App Version
- Sign in as a manager & tap the menu icon.
- Scroll down and press 'Overview'.
- Look next to 'ShopKeep Register Version'.
Visit our Diagnostics Screen article to learn about the other information available in this section.
ShopKeep Pocket App
As with the ShopKeep register app, it’s best to update ShopKeep Pocket when a new version is released to ensure that you receive the newest features and most reliable app performance.
If you need help downloading ShopKeep Pocket, visit one of these support articles:
Supported Pocket Versions
Check Pocket Version - iOS
- Open 'Settings'.
- Choose 'General'.
- Tap 'Storage & iCloud Usage'.
- Select 'Storage' and tap 'Manage Storage'.
- Find and tap on 'Pocket'.
- Look for the version number.
Check Pocket Version - Android
- Tap the Apps icon on your home screen.
- Tap the Settings app.
- Tap 'Applications', then 'Application Manager'.
- Tap 'PocketAndroid'.
- Locate the app version below the app name.
iPad and iOS
ShopKeep builds for the future by utilizing the newest iPad hardware and iOS software updates. Currently, we do not support Android tablets to run the ShopKeep app. To keep your ShopKeep Register running smoothly, follow the additional recommendations below.
Supported Models / iOS Versions
Check iPad Model / iOS Version
- Remove your iPad from its stand / enclosure.
- Check the back for a 5 character model number beginning with the letter 'A'.
- Look up your model number on Apple’s support site.
- Open 'Settings'.
- Press 'General'.
- Tap 'About'.
- Look at the number next to 'Version'.
Recommended iPad Settings
For the ShopKeep Register App to run most effectively, you should configure the following settings on your iPad. All of them can be found inside the Settings application.
Disable Automatic Updates to keep the iPad from installing app updates on its own. This puts you in control of when to update ShopKeep which ensures minimal disruption to your business day.
- Scroll down & tap iTunes & App Store.
- Tap to toggle 'Updates' off.
Auto-Lock puts your iPad to sleep after a preset amount of time. Set Auto-Lock to Never so your register’s screen remains on and active throughout every transaction.
- Tap 'Display & Brightness'.
- Press 'Auto-Lock'.
- Choose 'Never'.
Ask to Join Networks
This setting helps prevent the iPad from disconnecting from your Wi-Fi and automatically joining other nearby networks. If the iPad leaves the business’s Wi-Fi, it can no longer communicate with ethernet printers or credit card readers on that network.
- Tap 'Wi-Fi'.
- At the bottom, toggle on 'Ask to Join Networks'.
If your iPad does happen to connect to an outside network, try forgetting that network.