Sales by Discount Report
Track discount usage with the Sales by Discount report. See how often each discount is used, view the total amount discounted, and observe the impact discounts have on margins and profit.
Discounts deduct a dollar amount or percentages from sales at the register. Visit the Discounts article to learn how to set up your own preset named discounts.
Table of Contents
Run the Report
From BackOffice, run the Sales by Discount report for an overview of your store’s discount usage during a specific time period.
- Click 'Analytics' and select 'Discounts'.
- Click the Date icon to choose a preset or custom range, then click 'Retrieve'.
Read the Report
The Sales by Discount report can help you see which discounts are most popular and which cost you the most revenue. Learn to read this report so you can master its data and make more informed business decisions.
The bar charts show top 10 discounts by Sales Count & total amount discounted for the selected date range.
The term Other is a combination of all discounts outside the top 10.
- Hover over or tap on a bar to see the count/amount and percent of total for that discount.
The Table View provides more specific details about each discount for the selected date range. The first row, Totals, gives the total for each column.
The following table columns display by default:.
Net Discount % | Percentage of the Sales Amount minus Returns Amount that the discount deducted.
Net Discounts | Total discount amount applied to sales minus total discount amount applied to returns.
Returns Amount | Subtotal of all returns where the discount was applied.
Net Sales | Sales Amount minus Returns Amount minus Net Discounts.
Costs | Total business cost of sold items affected by the discount minus the cost of returned items.
By default, Cost is calculated using the weighted average cost at the time of sale for each item.
To use last cost, follow the steps here to disable the weighted average cost feature.
Gross Margin | Percentage of Net Sales left after accounting for cost.
Gross Profit | Net Sales minus Costs.
- Click any header with arrows to sort the table ascending. Click again to sort descending.
Filter the Report
Use the filter tool to hide discounts you don’t want to see or to enable additional table columns.
- Click 'Filter'.
- To hide a discount, search uncheck its box.
- To show a table column, click 'Show/Hide Columns' and check each box.
Export the Report
Download a copy of your Sales by Discount report to analyze and filter the data using spreadsheet software.
- On the Table View, click 'Export'.
- Wait for the export to be generated. Check the box to be notified by email when exports are ready for download (optional).
Exports ready in a few seconds will automatically download to your computer. Click ‘Close’ to close the message box.
Exports that take more than a few seconds to generate are downloadable via the Export Center when ready. Click ‘OK’ to close the message box.
- After downloading, the export is ready to open in any spreadsheet software.
Print the Report
Use the Print feature to generate the report in a printer-friendly format that can be printed or saved.
- Click 'Print'.
- Wait for the report to open in a new browser tab.
- Click 'File' on the web browser’s menu and select 'Print'.
You can also choose to save the print view as a PDF for easy sharing.