Free Accounts with ShopKeep
Learn about the features and benefits of your free account with ShopKeep.
Table of Contents
What is a free ShopKeep account?
A free ShopKeep account allows you to use ShopKeep for a single location, with a single register and a single staff member. It includes unlimited inventory and detailed reporting for up to $5,000 in sales each month. If you are interested in adding additional registers, locations, or staff members or are running more than $5,000 a month in sales, you can upgrade at any time via BackOffice. You also have limited access to Customer Care who are only available via email.
Once you are signed up for a free ShopKeep account, get started by setting up BackOffice. BackOffice is the account management portal used to manage inventory, view detailed sales reports, and customize account settings. Sign in and get started.
Begin entering inventory items to sell. As you enter items, you will be able to add a series of details about each item including price, cost, and quantity on hand.
- Tap 'Items' and select 'Items List'
- Click 'Add Item'.
- Create a Basic Item to sell individual items or an Item with Variants to sell this item in variations.
- After adding items, create iPad buttons to easily access them at the register.
Paper and email receipts can be customized with your business location and contact information. Follow the steps below to set them up.
- From BackOffice, click 'Settings', then 'Receipts'.
- Choose the 'Paper Receipt' tab. Enter information about your store including location and printer settings.
- Click the 'Email Receipt' tab to set up email receipts with information such as your logo and how your customers can connect via social media.
Manage Tax Rates
Set the default tax rate and enter additional tax rates (if necessary) to be applied at the register. For more detailed information on managing tax rates, visit our Manage Tax Settings article.
- Click 'Settings', then 'Taxes'
- Select the default tax rate.
- Name the tax rate and enter the default tax rate.
- Click 'Update'.
- Return to the menu and click 'Add Tax' to create additional tax rates.
Set Up Hardware
The type of business you run determines the hardware you need. Visit our hardware homepage to learn which hardware solutions fit your business needs. Receiving a free card reader? Click here to learn how to set it up!
Once you’ve selected the right hardware for your business, check out our Setup Guides to learn how to set it up!
Credit Card Processing Setup
Easily and quickly set up integrated credit card processing from your BackOffice in order to run credit sales at the register. Sign up and if approved, you’ll receive a free ShopKeep credit card reader to swipe cards.
- In BackOffice, click 'Settings', then 'Payment Settings'.
- Enter the social security number and birthdate of the account owner on file and click 'Enable & get my free reader' to continue.
Your information for credit card processing setup is taken from billing and account information you entered when creating this account.
Click here to learn how to verify and update account information before proceeding.
- Click 'OK' to confirm setup and request free card reader.
- Return to 'Payment Settings' in the menu.
- Click 'Link bank account'.
- Enter your bank account information to allow for credit deposits, then click 'Link bank account'.
- Click 'OK' to confirm.
The bank account will begin receiving deposits within 1-2 business days.
- 'Get Updates' on the register to apply the changes.
You can now accept credit cards at the register.
Set up the ShopKeep register app on your iPad to get started running sales! Learn the basics below.
Download and Activate
Check out our Introduction to the iPad to learn how to download the ShopKeep app from the App Store. Activate the ShopKeep app to link your register and account.
- When the download completes, tap 'Activate Your Register'.
- Enter your store name and manager code.
Store Name: Your account name with no spaces or punctuation.
Manager Code: The default is 1234.
- Tap 'Activate'.
Open and Close Shifts
Open and close shifts to maintain accurate reporting and to balance the cash drawer each day.
Open a Shift
To start your day, open your shift to add your starting cash to the drawer.
- Enter your 4-digit manager code and tap 'Sign In'.
- Tap 'Open Shift' from the Control Panel.
- Enter the opening cash amount and tap 'Open Shift'.
This is the amount of cash in the drawer before making any sales.
Close a Shift
Close your shift at the end of the day for proper reporting.
- Sign into the register as a manager.
- Tap 'Close Shift' from the Control Panel.
- Enter the total cash in the drawer and tap 'Close Shift'.
Run Sales and Process Returns
Run a Sale
Run a basic sale at the register.
- Tap a button, search by name, or scan an item to the sale.
- Choose a payment tender.
For this example, we are using ‘Cash’.
- Enter the amount from the customer, and tap 'Cash'.
- If necessary, give change and print/email the receipt. Then tap 'Done'.
Process a Return
Take back sold items from customers at the register by running a return.
- Tap History / Returns on the Control Panel.
- Choose a sale or search for one by transaction number, last 4 digits on their credit card, or customer name, then tap 'Begin Return'.
- Select the items for return.
The highlighted items will be returned. Tap ‘Select all’ to return all items.
- Choose a tender to return to the customer.
- Select Print or Email Receipt (optional) and tap 'Done'.
In addition to the Bird’s Eye View that you see when logging in, here are a few of the most useful reports that ShopKeep offers.
The Analytics Dashboard is an overview of all register activity including sales, returns, discounts and more.
The Transactions Table shows every sale and return from a specified date range. Filter and sort the table, download customer receipts, and export your records to a spreadsheet for further analysis.
How to Upgrade
If you reach a feature that requires a paid subscription, follow the steps below to upgrade in BackOffice. With a paid subscription, you can add more registers, employees, and locations to your account.
- Click 'Upgrade' on the pop-up window.
- Enter billing contact and business address information.
- Enter credit card details, then click 'Submit'.
Your account upgrade is complete! Click below to learn about available features for upgraded accounts: