BackOffice Setup for Food Trucks
After you set up your BackOffice, check out part 2: iPad Register for Food Trucks.
BackOffice is where you begin to set up your business in ShopKeep. Create the food truck’s menu, set up ticket printing, and design your receipt before moving on to the iPad register.
Table of Contents
Build Your Menu
Set up all of the truck’s dishes, add customization options, and organize the menu so it’s easy for the cashier to navigate.
If you have any questions about adding or managing menu items, visit our Inventory FAQ.
Watch our Build Your Menu video below:
Add Menu Items
Add the items the food truck offers so the cashier can quickly ring in customer orders at the register.
- Tap 'Items' and select 'Items List'.
- Click 'Add Item'.
- Fill in the menu item's details.
Name | What the menu item is called. This appears on the button layout, receipts, & reporting.
Department | A general grouping used for item organization, reporting, and ticket printing.
Category | A subset of Department that is used for ticket printing.
Sales Price | The amount customers pay.
Track Inventory | True or False. Determines whether the menu item’s quantity is tracked.
Set countable items like retail goods or bottled drinks to ‘True’.
Set made-to-order items or those without a quantity to ‘False’.
- Tap 'Save' to create the item.
Visit our Adding Items support article for help with any of the parts we did not cover.
Add modifiers to an item to let customers customize their order. Modifiers represent the different options a customer has when they order – like the kind of cheese on a burger.
- Click the 'Modifiers' tab.
Groups – Single Choice
These are for either/or choices you give the customer. For example, a burger can be cooked medium or medium-rare, but not both.
- Tap 'Add a Group' and enter a group name.
- Enter the group’s default selection.
- Tap 'Add another option' to fill out more choices.
Add to price | Amount to add to the sales price if selected.
Green Check | The “default” choice the item starts with.
Trash Can | Deletes the group / option.
- Press 'OK' to save changes.
Options – Multiple Choice
Think of these as add-ons: extra toppings, customization options, etc. The customer can select as many different multiple choice modifiers as they’d like.
- Click 'Add an option'.
- Enter a name and optional ‘Add to price’.
- Press 'Add another option' to add more.
- Press 'OK' to save changes.
Set up “NO” options to let visitors exclude ingredients that normally come standard with the dish.
- Tap 'Add an option'.
- Enter a name and optional ‘Discount when OFF’ price.
- Click 'Add another option' to set up more.
- Press 'OK' to save changes.
For more on modifiers, including how to copy them from one item to another, visit the Item Modifiers support article.
A well organized layout means the difference between frustrated cashier and a clean, simple interaction with the register.
- Tap 'Items' and select 'iPad Button Layout'.
- Type the name of an item to find it on the list.
- Drag and drop the item into a position on the layout below.
Check out the Inventory Layout support article to learn how to create additional pages and change button colors.
Tickets contain details a cook needs to prepare an order, including selected modifiers and cashier notes. Tickets print whenever a cashier tenders a sale or saves a check with items assigned to a printer group.
If you have questions about your ticket printer, visit our Hardware FAQ.
- Set up your ticket printer and connect it to ShopKeep.
Visit our SP700 Setup article for help completing this initial setup.
- Click 'Settings' and select 'Printers'.
- Click ‘Add New’ and select ‘Printer Group’.
- Enter a 'Name' and select departments/categories of items for ticket printing.
- Select the printer(s) you want to print tickets for the group's items and click 'Save'.
To learn how to manage ticket printer assignments on the item level, visit the SP700 Setup article.
Receipt and Gratuity Settings
Enter as much information as you want to print on receipts and choose how customers sign and tip for credit card transactions.
- Tap 'Settings' and select 'Receipts'.
The receipt is a record of the customer’s order and payment. The receipt can also include useful information like a Twitter handle which customers can use to locate your truck.
Most food trucks prefer to print customer receipts. If you’d like to set up email receipts, see our Email Receipts support article.
- Click the 'Paper Receipt' tab.
- Fill in as much Business Info as desired.
Gratuity Settings and More
To finish up, set how customers will sign and tip for credit card sales and complete your receipt customization.
- Click the drop down for 'Tips and Signature' and select your preference.
Most food trucks choose ‘Tip and signature on screen’. This is quicker than printing a credit card signature slip.
- (optional) When selecting 'Tip and signature on screen', enter three suggested tip amounts.
- Enter any additional info you want to include in the 'Extra Text' field.
- Click 'Save' to finish up.
Visit the Paper Receipts support article for more details on each part of the receipt.
“Staff” is ShopKeep’s term for anyone who works on your food truck. The cashier needs the register to handle orders and the cook needs register access to clock in/out.
If you have any questions about adding staff, visit our BackOffice FAQ.
- Tap 'Staff' and select 'Staff List'.
- Click 'Add Staff'.
- Enter at least a first name, last name, register code, and tap 'Save'.
Visit the Manage Staff support article to learn about editing/deleting staff members and changing employee settings.
Do you run promotions or offer a meal discount to employees? Set up custom preset discounts to speed up transactions where a discount is needed.
Watch our Creating Named Discounts video below:
- Tap 'Settings' and select 'Discounts'.
- Click 'Add Discount'.
- Fill in the details and click 'Save'.
Visit the Named Discounts support article to learn about discount settings and how to apply discounts at the register.