ShopKeep Register for
If you have not set up your BackOffice yet, visit part 1: BackOffice Setup for Food Trucks.
For food trucks, the register needs to be efficient so the line moves and orders get out quickly. This guide covers ordering, payments, and some extra settings designed to help speed things up.
Table of Contents
Orders at the Register
From starting an order to accepting payment, here are some processes you’ll use every day on the register.
If you have any questions about ringing up orders, visit our Register FAQ.
Begin an Order
Ring up a customer’s menu items, tweak their order with modifiers, and tender the sale to print tickets to the ticket printer.
- On the transaction screen, tap an item to add it to the order.
- (Optional) If an item has modifiers, make selections and tap 'Done'.
If you have not yet set up modifiers, visit our BackOffice guide for help.
- (Optional) Tap the ticket notes field to add notes for the cook.
- Select the customer's payment tender to complete the sale.
A ticket automatically prints for any items assigned to a printer group.
Visit our Running Sales article to learn about additional ordering actions, such as changing quantities or removing items.
You saw how to create custom discounts in our BackOffice guide. Now learn how to apply a discount to an order at the register.
Watch the Discounts at the Register video below:
- Tap the discount button for the entire order or for a line item.
- Select a discount to apply to the sale.
‘Open’ means the cashier enters the discount amount/percentage.
Visit our full Discounts article to see how discounts appear on receipts and reporting.
Customers use Apple Pay because it is a fast and convenient way to pay. A food truck must be set up with a compatible payment processor and credit card reader to be able to accept Apple Pay.
- Tap 'Credit' to tender an order.
- Have the customer hold their device within 1″ of the credit card reader.
Apple’s Wallet app opens automatically and allows the customer to select a credit card.
- The customer’s device prompts them to scan their fingerprint or face to approve the sale.
If the sale is not approved, visit one of our Credit Card Reader Troubleshooting guides for help.
- The cashier finishes the sale like a normal credit transaction.
Visit the full ShopKeep and Apple Pay support article for more information.
Customers paying with Apple Pay or a credit card can leave a tip at the register. For convenience, most food trucks prefer for customers to sign and tip on the register’s screen.
If you have any questions about leaving or paying out gratuity, visit our Advanced Topics FAQ.
If you have EMV payments enabled or are using a Clover All-in-One Credit Card Reader and Printer, your process will be different than the steps below. Visit one of the following articles for help:
- Select 'Credit' to tender an order.
- The customer swipes their credit card or taps their Apple Pay device on the reader.
- The customer selects a tip option and signs the screen with their fingertip.
Choose a Suggested Tip, enter a Custom Tip, or No Tip.
- The cashier taps 'Charge' and completes the sale.
Visit our Tips and Gratuity support article to learn how to pay out tips and view tip reporting.
Some food trucks operate without internet, so their sales do not sync to BackOffice until the register has an active internet connection. For an immediate overview of sales activity, view or print an X or Z report directly from the register.
- Select 'Shift Report' from the Control Panel.
- Scroll down to view the X/Z report information on screen.
- (Optional) Tap 'Print X Report' or 'Print Z Report' to print a copy to a connected receipt printer.
If the report does not print, visit one of our Printer Troubleshooting guides for help.
Visit our X and Z Reports article to learn how to reprint a Z report from a previous shift.
Here are a couple handpicked settings that food trucks can use to customize how the register works.
Card Signature Threshold
Set a card signature threshold to decide when customers have to sign for credit card transaction and when they do not.
Using a Clover All-in-One Credit Card Reader and Printer? Visit our Using the Clover Mini article to learn how to set your device’s signature threshold.
- Open ShopKeep iPad Settings.
- Tap 'Card signature threshold'.
- Select an amount to set as the threshold.
Any sale below the threshold will not require a signature.
Always Print/Email Receipt
Switch on an automatic receipt option so cashiers don’t have to manually make a receipt selection at the end of every transaction.
Note: This feature is only available on the ShopKeep Register for iOS.
- Open ShopKeep iPad Settings.
- Toggle the switches to set your preference.
Visit the full iPad Settings for ShopKeep article to learn about other settings you can enable.