for Grocery Stores
If you haven’t set up your BackOffice yet, visit part 1: BackOffice Setup!
With BackOffice setup complete, it’s time to get familiar with your register. Learn how to sign in and out, ring up sales, and use some of the additional features we recommend for grocery stores.
Table of Contents
Sign In & Out
Employees sign in with unique register codes to run transactions on the register. Management can then track sales by employee by running an X/Z report or by filtering the Transactions Report by employee.
Sign In & Out
Employees must sign in to start using the register. After entering their register code, employees remain signed in until they manually sign out.
- On the Sign In screen, enter your 4 digit register code and tap 'Sign In'.
If you cannot sign in, visit our Login/Access Troubleshooting guide for help.
- Tap the menu button and press 'Sign Out' to return to the Sign In screen.
Signing out allows another employee to sign in with their code.
Auto Sign Out
Enable Auto Sign Out to force employees to sign back in after a period of inactivity. This helps guard against cashiers mistakenly processing sales under someone else’s code.
- Open ShopKeep ShopKeep iPad Settings.
- Toggle on 'Auto Sign Out User', then tap 'Auto Sign Out After'.
- Select the amount of idle time before the register automatically returns to sign in screen.
Visit our Auto Signout article to learn how to sign employees out immediately after every transaction.
Ring Up a Sale
From adding items to accepting payment, learn the basics of running a sale on your new iPad register. Before following along, make sure to open a shift to get things started.
If you have any questions about using the register, visit our iPad Register FAQ.
Watch our Ringing Up a Sale with Unit Priced Items video:
Add & Remove Items
To get the sale started, add the customer’s purchase items to the Transaction screen. Don’t worry if you make a mistake, you can always remove items before completing the sale.
- Tap an item's button, scan its barcode, or search for it to ring it up.
- Make a mistake? Swipe right-to-left across an item and tap 'Delete'.
Or, tap Discard at the top to clear the entire screen.
Sell a Unit Priced Item
Fruits and veggies are examples of items your grocery store may sell in bulk by weight. These are unit priced items and here’s how to ring them up.
- Add a unit priced item to the sale.
- Use the keypad to enter the quantity and tap 'Done'.
- Need to change how much? Tap the quantity and enter a new amount.
Complete the Sale
After ringing up the customer’s purchase, collect their payment to finish up the transaction.
- Choose the customer’s payment method.
- For Cash, enter how much the customer gives you and tap 'Cash' to confirm.
- Print or email the receipt (optional) and tap 'Done'.
Visit our Using the Register guide to learn how to perform returns, reprint receipts, and use other register functions.
Last but not least, here are a few more register features designed to make running your grocery easier.
When staff clock in and out for each shift, management can accurately track their hours worked. With an active internet connection, time punches sync automatically to BackOffice.
- On the Sign In screen, enter your 4 digit register code.
- Tap 'Clock In' to record a time punch.
If you cannot clock in or out, visit our Login/Access Troubleshooting guide for help.
- Enter your code and tap 'Clock Out' to punch out.
Visit our Using the Time Clock article to learn how to view employee time punches in BackOffice.
Credit Card Threshold
Set a credit card signature threshold to speed up credit transactions at the register. Any sale under the selected threshold will not require the customer to sign.
- Open ShopKeep iPad Settings.
- Tap 'Card signature threshold'.
- Choose a value between 0 and 25.
No signature required at checkout for any sale under this amount.
If you need help setting up credit card processing, visit our related support article.
Enable one of the settings below so your cashiers don’t need to tap Print Receipt or Email Receipt for every transaction. Instead, receipts can be set to print / email automatically.
- Open ShopKeep iPad Settings.
- Tap to toggle 'Always print receipt' or 'Always email receipt'.
Visit our iPad Settings for ShopKeep article to learn about the other settings in this section, like ‘Mask customer name and email’.