BackOffice Setup for Recreation & Entertainment
After setting up BackOffice, check out part 2: iPad Register for Recreation & Entertainment.
Recreation-based businesses, such as dance studios and music schools, must accept deposits, sell services, and manage customer relations. Set up these and other key features in BackOffice before using the register.
Table of Contents
Add Items, Services, & Deposits
Whether you’re selling a lesson, merchandise, or a deposit, set up an item for it in BackOffice.
If you have any questions about adding or managing items, visit our Inventory FAQ.
Items and Services
- Click 'Items' and select 'Items List'.
- Click 'Add New'.
- Select 'Create' under 'Basic Item'.
- Fill in the item's details:
Priced | How the register rings up the item price.
- In BackOffice: Item has a predetermined price set in BackOffice.
In Store: Cashier enters the sales price at the register.
Unit Price: A fixed price per unit (oz, lb, ft, etc.) sold.
Sales Price | The amount a customer pays.
Taxable | yes or no. Determines whether tax is charged on the item.
Track Inventory | True or False. Determines whether the item’s quantity on hand is tracked.
Use ‘False’ for items that don’t have a physical quantity on hand, such as lessons and deposits.
- Click 'Save' to finish creating the item.
- Enable the deposit tender in your Tender Settings.
- Create an item using the steps outlined above.
Name: Deposit / Lesson Deposit / etc.
- Check the 'Liability' box and select 'Deposit' from the dropdown.
- Click 'Save' to finish creating the item.
Paper and Email Receipts
A receipt is a record of payment, but it also gives the customer a link back to the business. Customize receipts with contact information, your website, and social media links.
- Click 'Settings' and select 'Receipts and Tips'.
- Select the 'Paper Receipt' tab.
- Fill in as much 'Business Info' as desired.
- Click 'Save'.
For information on the settings we didn’t cover, check out the Paper Receipts support article.
Email receipts contain all of the business information from the paper receipt with some added frills.
- Select the 'Email Receipt' tab.
- Fill in the information to appear on the email receipt.
- Logo | Upload your business logo for the top of the receipt.
Logo URL | Enter a URL to make the logo a clickable link.
Receipt Heading | A heading that appears under the logo.
Promotional Message | A message that appears under the Receipt Heading.
- Banner | Upload an image or enter text to appear above the social media links.
- Yelp, Facebook, etc. | Check the ‘Show’ box and enter social media links.
- Click 'Save'.
Check out the finished receipt here.
Head over to the full Email Receipts support article for more in-depth setup help.
If you have employees, add them to BackOffice so they can use the register. In BackOffice, you can track their sales and time clock punches.
If you have questions about adding or managing staff, visit our BackOffice FAQ.
Watch our Add Staff video below:
- Click 'Staff' and select 'Staff List'.
- Click 'Add Staff'.
- Enter at least a first name, last name, register code, and click 'Save'.
Register Code | For clocking in / out, ringing sales, and cashier functions.
Register Manager | Check this box to give access to manager controls.
BackOffice Manager | Check this box to assign the employee their own BackOffice login.
Don’t see ‘BackOffice Manager’? Visit our Staff Troubleshooting guide for help.
Learn about employee settings and permissions in the full Manage Staff support article.
Enter customer information to track customer deposits and purchases, contact details, and engagement with the social media links on email receipts.
If you have an existing set of customers, set up each one at a time through the customer list.
Questions about adding or managing customers? Visit our BackOffice FAQ.
- Click 'Marketing' and select 'Customer List'.
- Click 'Add Customer'.
- Enter the customer's information and click 'Save'.
To learn how to manage customers at the register, visit the full Manage Customers support article.
Customer Purchase History
Check a customer’s purchase history to see when they last stopped by and what they bought.
If you have questions about customer reporting, visit our Reporting FAQ.
- Select a customer from the Customer List.
- Click 'Item Purchase History'.
This shows the customer’s entire history, complete with totals and the individual items they bought.
Track the growth of your customer base and see how customers interact with email receipts using the Marketing Dashboard.
- Click 'Marketing' and select 'Marketing Dashboard'.
Refer to the Customer Growth section to see how your customer base grows on a daily basis and to identify top customers.
Email Receipt Interactions
Use the Email Receipt Interaction section to see how often cashiers send email receipts and how frequently customers click the links inside.
For a full explanation of the Marketing Dashboard, visit our Marketing Dashboard article.
Here are a few more features that recreation/entertainment businesses find helpful.
Set up preset named discounts so employees can apply commonly used discounts at the register.
Watch our Creating Named Discounts video below:
- Click 'Settings' and select 'Discounts'.
- Click 'Add Discount'.
- Set the parameters of the discount and click 'Save'.
Visit the Discounts support article to learn about what each discount setting means.
Use MailChimp to send email marketing campaigns to customers. The customer information added at the register and in BackOffice automatically syncs to MailChimp once set up.
- Click 'Settings' and select 'MailChimp'.
- Click 'Login'.
Don’t have a MailChimp account? Click ‘Sign Up’ to create one.
- Enter your MailChimp username and password and click 'Log In'.
If you receive an error while logging in, visit our MailChimp Integration Troubleshooting guide for help.
- Select a MailChimp list to sync customers to and click 'Done'.
Check out the MailChimp Integration support article for more detailed setup help.
Give your Point of Sales Specialist a call to order gift cards. Once the cards arrive, set up a Gift Card inventory item in BackOffice to issue them at the register.
For questions about ordering, processing, or setting up gift cards, visit our Gift Card FAQ.
- Click 'Settings' and select 'Tenders'.
- Check the box to enable 'Gift Card'.
- Go to the Items List and add a new basic item.
- Set the item up and click 'Save'.
Name: ‘Gift Card’, Priced: ‘In Store’, Liability: Checked, Tender: ‘Gift Card’
Learn about using gift cards at the register over in our Gift Cards support article.