for Quick-Service Restaurants
If you have not set up your BackOffice yet, visit part 1: BackOffice for Quick-Service Restaurants.
From ringing up orders to applying discounts, this guide covers important register functions used to run a quick-service restaurant, such as a café or fast food business.
Table of Contents
Ring Up an Order
This section covers basic ordering skills. Learn to begin an order, select modifiers, and accept payment.
If you have any questions about ringing up orders, visit our iPad Register FAQ.
Watch our Ring Up an Order video below:
Start the Order
Every transaction, large or small, begins with the same few steps. Sign in to the register to start ringing up a customer’s order.
- Enter your register code and tap 'Sign In'.
If you can’t sign in, visit our Login / Access Troubleshooting guide for help.
- Tap a menu item to add it to the sale.
- (Optional) Swipe right to left across an item and tap 'Delete' to remove it.
Or, tap Discard at the top to clear the entire screen.
To learn how to change item quantities and modify the order in other ways, visit our support article here.
Items with Modifiers
For items with modifiers, the cashier must make extra selections to tailor the menu item to a customer’s liking.
- Add an item with modifiers to the sale.
- Select some modifiers to customize the item.
If you have not yet set up modifiers, visit our BackOffice guide for help.
Single Choice Modifiers
These appear in named groups with the base option selected by default. Tap to choose a different option.
Add-ons and “NO” Options
These multiple choice modifiers are housed in a single ‘Options’ group. Tap to select or unselect as many as the customer wants.
- Tap 'Done' to confirm the selections.
- (Optional) Tap the line item to change the selected modifiers.
Wondering which modifiers are most popular? Visit the Modifiers support article to learn how to find out.
Complete the Sale
When a customer is ready to pay, select their payment tender and print/email a receipt to finish the sale.
- Select the customer's payment tender.
Here we will use ‘Cash’.
- For 'Cash', enter the amount the customer hands you and tap ‘Cash’.
- If necessary, give change, then select a receipt option (optional) and tap 'Done'.
Visit the Split Tender article to learn how to split the order total between multiple different tenders.
Tips & Gratuity
Customers enjoy the ease of leaving a tip on the iPad and businesses appreciate the simplicity of paying out credit card tips to their staff.
Watch our Tips & Gratuity at the Register video:
Leave a Tip
- Tap 'Credit'.
- The customer swipes, taps, or inserts their credit card or uses Apple Pay.
Trouble reading the card? Visit our Credit Card Readers Troubleshooting guide.
- The customer chooses a tip option and signs the screen.
Choose a Suggested Tip, enter a Custom Tip, or No Tip.
- The cashier taps 'Charge'.
- Select an option for receipt (optional) and tap 'Done'.
Check out the Tips and Gratuity article to learn about tipping on paper receipts.
Pay Out Gratuity
Do a single payout for all gratuity and split it evenly amongst your staff or check the shift report to see how much each person accrued throughout the shift.
- Sign in to the register as a manager.
- On the Control Panel, tap 'Pay In / Payout'.
- Choose 'Non-Cash Gratuity'.
Total gratuity for this register’s shift is displayed. This total is unaffected by payouts.
- Enter an amount to pay out and tap 'Continue'.
- Enter a comment (optional) and tap 'Done'.
- Tap 'No Sale' to open the drawer and remove the cash.
To learn about other kinds of payouts, visit our Pay Ins & Payouts support article.
Discounts at the Register
You saw how to create custom discounts in our BackOffice guide. Now, learn how to apply a discount to an order at the register.
Watch our Discounts at the Register video:
- Tap the discount button for a line item or the entire transaction.
- Select a discount to apply to the sale.
- If the discount is open, enter its amount/percent and tap ‘Done’.
- For discounts requiring manager verification, have a manager enter their register code and tap ‘Verify’.
For more on discounts, both at the register and in BackOffice, visit our Discounts article.
Here are a couple of settings handpicked to help make serving customers much more efficient.
- Open the iPad's 'Settings' app.
- Scroll down on the left side and tap 'ShopKeep'.
Card Signature Threshold
Set a signature threshold to streamline credit transactions. Sales that are under the amount you pick will not require a customer signature.
- Tap 'Card signature threshold'.
- Choose a value between 0 and 25.
Always Print / Email Receipt
Want customer receipts to automatically print or email by default? Switch on one of these options to shave a few seconds off the time it takes to complete an order.
- Toggle one or both of the switches on.
Visit our iPad Settings for ShopKeep article to learn about other ShopKeep settings.