Specialty Food Shops
After you’ve set up your BackOffice, check out part 2: iPad Register for Specialty Food Shops.
Specialty food shops include candy stores, cheese shops, & other retailers that focus on one type of food product. Add your inventory, customize receipts, and set up other features important for this business type.
Table of Contents
Add Inventory Items
Inventory items are the various goods your business sells. Set up each of your items and arrange them on the register layout so cashiers can ring them up.
If you have questions about adding or managing items, visit our Inventory FAQ.
Unit Priced Items
Specialty food items, like cheese and fudge, are usually sold by the pound, ounce, or some other type of measure. These types of goods are known as unit priced items.
- Click 'Items' and select 'Item List'.
- Click 'Add New'.
- Select 'Create' under 'Basic Item'.
- Click ‘More fields…’.
- Fill in the item's details:
Name | Description of the item. Appears on receipts and in BackOffice reports.
Priced | Determines how the item gets rung up at the register.
- In BackOffice: Item carries a predetermined price set in BackOffice.
- In Store: Cashier enters the sales price at the register.
- Unit Price: Cashier weighs the item and manually enters its weight (oz, lb, etc.) or places the item on an integrated scale to automatically enter its weight (Android only).
Unit | Required for Unit Price. How the item is measured. Limited to 2 characters (lb, oz, etc.).
Sales Price Per Unit | What customers pay for each unit of the item.
Quantity | How much of the item is in stock.
- Click the default save option or click the arrow to select another save option to finish creating the item.
Save and create new | Save the current item and create a new basic item.
Save and keep editing | Save the current item and remain on the details page to make adjustments.
Save and close | Save the current item and return to the Item List.
The last used selection will be remembered as the default save option.
For more on adding items, like how to track item cost, visit our complete Adding Items article.
Cashiers tap the buttons on the register layout to ring up the items a customer wants. An organized register layout means cashiers can more easily locate the items they need.
- Click 'Items' and select 'Register Layout'.
- Type the name of an item to find it on the list.
- Drag the item into a position on the layout below.
For more on the register layout, like how to add pages, see our complete Register Layout article.
Customize Your Receipts
Paper receipts print quickly, but email receipts allow you to collect customer info for marketing purposes. Follow along below to customize both your paper and email receipts.
- Sign into BackOffice as an employee with the relevant permissions or the ShopKeep Register app as the Business Owner and open receipt settings.
In BackOffice, click ‘Settings’ and select ‘Receipts and Tips’.
In the iOS ShopKeep Register app, select ‘Receipt and Tip Settings’ from the Main Menu. For the Android ShopKeep Register app, tap ‘Setup’ on the register menu, then select ‘Receipt and Tip Settings’.iOS ShopKeep Register AppAndroid ShopKeep Register App
- Click the 'Business Info' tab.
- Fill in as much 'Business Info' as desired for receipts.
- (Optional) Click ‘Choose Image’ to upload a business logo for the top of email receipts.
- Click 'Save' to save changes.
- Click the 'Email Receipt' tab.
- Fill in the information to appear on the email receipt.
Logo Link | Enter a URL to make the logo a clickable link.
Heading | A heading that appears under the logo.
Message | A message that appears under the Receipt Heading.
None / Image / Text | Upload an image or enter text to appear above your social media links. For ‘Image’, tap ‘Choose Image’ to upload an image file. Banner images must be in .PNG, .JPG, or .GIF format and cannot exceed 70kB in size. For ‘Text’, enter a message.
Message Link | Enter a website URL to send customers to when they click the image or text banner.
Yelp, Facebook, etc. | Enter social media links and toggle the switches to make them appear on email receipts.
- Click 'Save'.
Check out the finished receipt.
Visit the full Receipt Setup article for help customizing additional settings for paper receipts.
Maybe you run promotions or give your staff a percentage off their purchases. Continue below to learn how to set up frequently used discounts so cashiers don’t have to enter discounts manually at the register.
Before creating some discounts, decide how you want them to actually apply to transactions.
- Click 'Settings' and select 'Discounts'.
- Pick how you want transaction-level discounts to work.
Subtotal | Apply discounts based on a sale’s subtotal, even if some items are non-discountable.
Total of only discountable items | Apply discounts based on the subtotal of only discountable items.
- Press 'OK' to save.
Add a Discount
With your discount settings configured, add your first custom register discount.
- Click 'Add Discount'.
- Fill in the details and press 'Save'.
Name | What the discount is called on the register when selected.
Receipt description | How the discount appears on the receipt.
Type | Choose to discount by a dollar amount or percentage.
Open | Cashier enters discount amount or percent at register.
Applies to | Allow the discount to be applied to items only, the overall sale, or both.
Requires manager | A manager needs to enter their code to authorize the discount.
Visit the full Discounts article to see how discounts work at the register.
Have an existing customer list you need to keep track of? Want to send email marketing campaigns to your customers? Continue below to learn about some more recommended features for specialty food shops.
If you have a list of your customers, add them in BackOffice to track the purchases they make at the register.
If you have questions about adding or managing customers, visit our BackOffice FAQ.
- Click 'Customers' and select 'Customer List'.
- Click 'Add Customer'.
- Enter the customer's information and click 'Save'.
At minimum, there must be a first name & last name or an email entered.
Check out our full Manage Customers article to learn how to add customers from the register itself.
MailChimp enables you to build and send email marketing campaigns to the customers you add in ShopKeep. Visit the MailChimp site to learn what it can do for your business.
- Click 'Integrations' and select 'MailChimp'.
- Click 'Login'.
If you don’t have a MailChimp account, select ‘Sign Up’.
- Enter your MailChimp username and password and click 'Log In'.
If you receive an error when logging in, visit our MailChimp Integration Troubleshooting guide for help.
- Follow the instructions on screen to create a list.
- Refresh your BackOffice, select a list, and click 'Done'.
Visit our full MailChimp Integration article for answers to some frequently asked questions.
Every holiday season, gift cards are always among the most gifted items. Get in on the action by offering ShopKeep gift cards at your business.
- Click 'Settings' and select 'Tenders'.
- Check the box to enable 'Gift Card'.
- Go to the Item List and add a new item.
- Set the item up and click 'Save'.
Name: ‘Gift Card’, Priced: ‘In Store’, Liability: Checked, Tender: ‘Gift Card’
Visit our complete ShopKeep Gift Cards article to see how to redeem gift cards at the register.