iPad Register for Specialty Food Shops
If you have not set up your BackOffice yet, visit part 1: BackOffice for Specialty Food Shops.
Learn about some of the everyday register processes and features you’ll use to run your specialty food shop. In this guide we’ll cover how to ring up a sale, add a customer to a sale, apply discounts, and more.
Table of Contents
Ring Up a Sale
From starting a transaction to accepting the customer’s payment, learn the basics of running a sale in the sections that follow.
If you have any questions about ringing up sales, visit our iPad Register FAQ.
Check out our Ringing Up a Sale with Unit Priced Items video:
Start the Sale
With the register’s shift open, cashiers can begin a sale in just a few taps.
- Enter your 4 digit register code and tap 'Sign In'.
If you cannot sign in, visit our Login/Access Troubleshooting guide for help.
- Tap an item on the button layout to add it to the sale.
- Make a mistake? Swipe right to left across an item and tap 'Delete' to remove it.
Unit Priced Items
Cheese, candy, and other specialty shops tend to sell some of their items in bulk by weight. Here we’ll show how to ring up one of the unit priced items we created in the BackOffice guide.
- Add a unit priced item to the sale.
- Use the keypad to enter its quantity. Press 'Done'.
You can enter up to 4 decimal places.
- Need to change how much? Just tap the quantity and reenter it.
To learn how to create unit priced items, visit the full Unit Priced Items article.
Complete the Sale
Collect payment from your customer to finish up the transaction.
- Select the customer’s payment method.
- For cash, enter how much the customer gives you and tap 'Cash' to confirm.
- Select an option for receipt and press 'Done'.
Visit our Running Sales at the Register article to learn more about running, modifying, and finishing sales.
Add customers to your customer list so you can easily email receipts, send marketing emails, and track purchases. You can add or tag a customer to the sale at any point during the transaction.
Check out our Managing Customers at the Register video:
- Tap 'Select Customer'.
- Tap the + button.
- Enter your customer’s info and press 'Done'.
Include at least a first name, last name, or email address.
- When the customer comes back in the future, tap their name to tag them to the sale.
You can search for them by first name, last name, email, or phone number.
Customers you add at the register sync to BackOffice with an active internet connection.
Visit our Manage Customers article to learn how to manage customers in BackOffice.
Discounts at the Register
Learn how to apply custom named discounts created in BackOffice at the register.
Check out our Discounts at the Register video:
- Tap the discount button on a line-item or the transaction subtotal.
- Choose a discount.
If required, enter a manager code to authorize the discount and tap Verify.
For open discounts, enter the $ amount or % and tap Done.
Check out our full Discounts article to learn how to create discounts.
Here are a few more features we recommend for your business type. Follow along below to check them out.
Always Print / Email Receipt
Want customer receipts to print or email by default? Switch on one of these options to save your cashiers a step at checkout.
- Open ShopKeep iPad Settings.
- Tap either switch to turn on.
Mask Customer Information
Enable the Mask Customer Name and Email setting to protect your customer’s privacy when the register’s customer list is open.
- Open ShopKeep iPad Settings.
- Tap the switch to turn it on.
With this setting enabled, last names are hidden and email addresses are partially obscured.
Read our complete iPad Settings for ShopKeep article to discover even more register settings.