Cash Drawer Troubleshooting
This page contains solutions to issues you could encounter while using your cash drawer. From cash drawer connection issues to replacing the drawer’s keys, follow along below for some helpful suggestions.
Table of Contents
Most cash drawer issues are related to problems with receipt printers. Please make sure your printer is able to print properly first.
“Cash Drawer Failure”
This error message is usually related to a connection issue between the drawer and receipt printer.
- Verify that the drawer is connected to the receipt printer's cash drawer port.
Try disconnecting and reconnecting the cable from both the drawer and the printer.
- On Star printers, this port is labeled with the letters DK.
- On Epson printers, this port is labeled with a cash drawer icon.
- Force quit and reopen the ShopKeep app.
- If the problem persists, troubleshoot the receipt printer.
Take a look at the lights on your printer. If anything looks unusual, visit one of our Printer Troubleshooting guides for help resolving the issue.
My drawer does not open when I perform a sale or a No Sale.
This issue can happen for a variety of reasons. After each step below, check to see if the problem is resolved.
- If performing a sale, make sure you tendered it to Cash.
The drawer opens for Cash sales but not for other tenders like Credit.
- Check that your drawer is unlocked.
The lock should be in the vertical position.
- Check the connection between the receipt printer and cash drawer.
- On the register Control Panel, tap 'Hardware Setup' and select 'Printer Setup'.
The cash drawer is triggered through the receipt printer, so make sure your receipt printer is toggled on.
- If you don't see your printer on the setup screen, troubleshoot your receipt printer.
Visit one of our Printer Troubleshooting guides for help.
I lost the keys to my cash drawer.
Don’t worry, visit our online store to learn how to order replacements. You’ll need to know whether you have a Standard or Heavy Duty drawer and you’ll need to provide the 2 or 3 digit code from the lock on the drawer.