Barcode Scanner Troubleshooting
If you’re having trouble printing labels, visit DYMO LabelWriter Troubleshooting instead.
Table of Contents
- Connection & Pairing Issues
- My Settings say the scanner is “Not Connected.”
- My Bluetooth scanner and card reader disconnect frequently (nearly every 10 minutes).
- I can't pair my scanner with another iPad.
- I still can't connect my scanner.
- Scanning Issues
- Items don't appear on the iPad when I scan them.
- The iPad's keyboard/keypad won't pop up.
- Miscellaneous Issues
- I'm having issues with my charging cradle or QX stand.
- I need to factory reset my scanner or change its connection mode.
- The scanner's light blinks or the scanner makes a "beep" sound.
Connection & Pairing Issues
This section covers connection issues that might appear after you’ve connected the scanner.
My Settings say the scanner is “Not Connected.”
Make sure the scanner is powered on and near the iPad, then follow the steps below.
- On the iPad, open Settings and tap 'Bluetooth'.
- Press the Bluetooth info icon ('i') next to the Socket CHS device.
- Tap 'Forget This Device'. Then, 'OK'.
- Power the scanner OFF and then back ON to get the device to reappear in your Bluetooth Settings.
- Tap 'Socket CHS' in your Bluetooth settings to reconnect the scanner.
My Bluetooth scanner and card reader disconnect frequently (nearly every 10 minutes).
If your Bluetooth devices frequently disconnect, go through these troubleshooting suggestions to try and understand why the iPad is struggling to maintain a strong connection.
- Turn off the iPad's auto-lock if it's still on. Follow the steps here to do so.
- Check your iPad's model.
Older iPad models may struggle to maintain a Bluetooth connection. Follow the steps here to check the iPad’s model.
I can't pair my scanner with another iPad.
Scanners only connect to one device at a time. Reset it to its factory settings to pair with another iPad.
- Hold the large scan button until the laser disappears.
- While continuing to hold the scan button, tap the small power button once.
- Keep holding the scan button until you hear the scanner beep.
- Release the scan button. The scanner will beep 5 times and turn off.
- Power the scanner back on and pair it with your iPad.
I still can't connect my scanner.
Having problems with the scanner after you’ve connected it? We’ve got you covered.
Items don't appear on the iPad when I scan them.
Check to see if your scanner is actually paired with the iPad and communicating with ShopKeep from inside the register app.
- In ShopKeep, tap the item search field in the top right and scan a barcode.
- If no numbers appear in the search field, reconnect the scanner to the iPad.
- If numbers do appear in the search field, follow the additional steps below.
- Sign in to BackOffice, open the Items List, and enter the number from the iPad into the ‘Search’ field.
- If an item appears, return to ShopKeep, tap ‘Get Updates’ on the Control Panel, and scan the item.
- If no item appears, it means the UPC you scanned is not associated with any item in your inventory. Either add a new item with that UPC or enter the UPC for an existing item.
Don’t see ‘Get Updates’? It’s because you’re not signed in as a manager. Have a manager sign in to the app.
The iPad's keyboard/keypad won't pop up.
Are you using a barcode scanner? Double-tap the small power button on top of the scanner to open the iPad’s onscreen keyboard. For a long term solution, put your scanner into iOS mode.
Print and scan the barcodes below to quickly switch the mode your scanner is in.
I'm having issues with my charging cradle or QX stand.
Not to worry, just visit one of the guides below for help:
I need to factory reset my scanner or change its connection mode.
First, remove the scanner’s battery cover to locate its model number and determine which set of barcodes you need. The command barcodes need to be printed and cannot be scanned from a screen.
If changing the scanner’s mode, forget the device on your iPad, scan the barcode, and reconnect it.
View barcodes here:
The scanner's light blinks or the scanner makes a "beep" sound.
The scanner has a number of indicator lights and beeps to indicate powering off and on, if it’s connected to a computer, or if it’s successfully scanning a barcode, among other things. Follow the quick guide below to translate indicator lights and beeps.