Barcode Scanner Troubleshooting
If you’re having trouble printing labels, visit DYMO LabelWriter Troubleshooting instead.
Table of Contents
- Connection & Pairing Issues
- My Settings say the scanner is “Not Connected.”
- My scanner turns off automatically on its own.
- My scanner and Bluetooth card reader disconnect frequently (nearly every 10 minutes).
- I can't pair my scanner with another iPad.
- I still can't connect my scanner.
- Scanning Issues
- Items don't appear on the register when I scan them.
- The iPad's keyboard/keypad won't pop up.
- Miscellaneous Issues
- I'm having issues with my charging dock, cradle, or QX stand.
- I need to factory reset my scanner or change its connection mode.
- The scanner's light blinks or the scanner makes a "beep" sound.
Connection & Pairing Issues
This section covers connection issues that might appear after you’ve connected the scanner.
My Settings say the scanner is “Not Connected.”
Make sure the scanner is powered on and near the iPad, then follow the steps below.
- On the iPad, open Settings and tap 'Bluetooth'.
- Press the blue ⓘ next to the Socket scanner.
- Tap 'Forget This Device'. Then, 'OK'.
- Power the scanner OFF and then back ON to get the device to reappear in your Bluetooth Settings.
- Tap the 'Socket’ device in your Bluetooth settings to reconnect the scanner.
My scanner turns off automatically on its own.
A scanner that is not being charged will power off after 2 hours of inactivity if it is paired with an iPad or after 5 minutes if it is unpaired. Follow these steps to power the scanner back on and, if needed, re-pair it.
- Hold the power button to turn on the scanner.
- Open the iPad's 'Settings' app.
- Tap 'Bluetooth'.
- Check the Socket device’s status.
- Continue troubleshooting below based on the scanner's status.
- If the scanner is ‘Connected’, it is ready to be used again with the register.
- If the scanner is ‘Not Connected’, follow these steps to disconnect and re-pair it.
- If there is no status next to the Socket device, tap on it to connect.
- If the Socket device is not listed, toggle the Bluetooth setting on.
To prevent the scanner from turning off in the future, keep it connected to power when not in use.
My scanner and Bluetooth card reader disconnect frequently (nearly every 10 minutes).
If your Bluetooth devices frequently disconnect, go through these troubleshooting suggestions to try and understand why the iPad is struggling to maintain a strong connection.
- Turn off the iPad's auto-lock if it's still on. Follow the steps here to do so.
- Check your iPad's model.
Older iPad models may struggle to maintain a Bluetooth connection. Follow the steps here to check the iPad’s model.
I can't pair my scanner with another iPad.
Scanners only connect to one device at a time. Reset it to its factory settings to pair with another iPad.
- Hold the large scan button until the laser disappears.
- While continuing to hold the scan button, tap the small power button once.
- Keep holding the scan button until you hear the scanner beep.
- Release the scan button. The scanner will beep 5 times and turn off.
- Power the scanner back on and pair it with your iPad.Having trouble with the steps above? You can also scan the Factory Reset barcode from the owner’s manual to reset the scanner.
I still can't connect my scanner.
Having problems with the scanner after you’ve connected it? We’ve got you covered.
Items don't appear on the register when I scan them.
Check to see if your scanner is actually paired with the iPad and communicating with ShopKeep from inside the register app.
- In ShopKeep, tap the item search field and scan a barcode.
- If numbers appear in the search field, follow the bullets below this step. Otherwise, skip to step 3.
- In BackOffice, open the Items List and search for the number from the register.
- If an item appears on the Items List, return to the register and tap ‘Get Updates’ on the Control Panel. Then, go to the Transaction screen and scan the item.
- If no item appears on the Items List, it means the scanned UPC is not associated with an item in inventory. Either add a new item with that UPC or enter the UPC for an existing item. If the item’s barcode was printed using ShopKeep Label Printing, print a new label for the item.
- If numbers do not appear in the search field, follow the bullets below this step.
The iPad's keyboard/keypad won't pop up.
Are you using a barcode scanner? Double-tap the small power button on top of the scanner to open the iPad’s onscreen keyboard. For a long-term solution, put your scanner into Application Mode for iOS devices.
I'm having issues with my charging dock, cradle, or QX stand.
Not to worry, just visit our Socket Scanner Accessories Troubleshooting guide for help.
I need to factory reset my scanner or change its connection mode.
Unpair the scanner, then scan one of the command barcodes to reset the scanner to factory settings or change the its connection mode.
- Follow the steps here to unpair the scanner from your iPad.
- Print and scan the relevant barcode for changing the scanner’s mode or resetting it.
The scanner's light blinks or the scanner makes a "beep" sound.
The scanner lights up and beeps in a number of ways to indicate when it is powering off and on, if it is connected to a device, or if it successfully scans a barcode, among other things. A full explanation of the scanner’s status indicators can be found in the manuals below: