Customer Management Troubleshooting
This page offers solutions for issues that you might encounter while managing customers in BackOffice.
Table of Contents
- Customer Management
- I want to search the Customer List by email address.
- The Customer List doesn’t display all of my customers.
- I receive an error when I upload a spreadsheet to import new customer information.
- When I modify my Customer List, I receive an error: "Record ID must be mapped to proceed."
- My add / modify / delete import job is complete, but there were errors.
I want to search the Customer List by email address.
You can only search the BackOffice Customer List by first/last name. Export the customer list to a spreadsheet to view all customers and their details.
- Click 'Marketing'.
- Choose 'Export Customers'.
- Press 'Download'.
- Open the file in a spreadsheet editor (e.g. Excel) to see the complete list.
The Customer List doesn’t display all of my customers.
The Customer List is displays your 20 most recent customers. For the full list, follow the instructions above to export customers.
I receive an error when I upload a spreadsheet to import new customer information.
There are a few errors you might see: “CSV file contains invalid characters,” “Imported file is invalid,” “Imported file content type is invalid,” and “CSV file must include both a header and a record.”
Open the import spreadsheet and:
When I modify my Customer List, I receive an error: "Record ID must be mapped to proceed."
You cannot delete or change the Customer Record ID column on the spreadsheet you are using to bulk modify/delete customers. Modifying/deleting the Customer Record ID column causes this error.
My add / modify / delete import job is complete, but there were errors.
- Click 'Download errors (CSV)'.
- Open the file when finished downloading.
- Look at the first column (Errors) to see what went wrong.
“Either first name, last name, or email address must be present” – Customers must have at least one of these. This error also appears for blank rows left in the spreadsheet.
“Email is invalid” – The email entered is in the wrong format. Check that its not missing the @ or the .com/.org/etc. Emails should look like this: firstname.lastname@example.org
“Sales tax number can’t be blank” – If you entered ‘Yes’ in the Tax Exempt column, you must enter the customer’s tax number in the following column.
“No customer associated with this ID” – This happens when Bulk Management can’t find a customer associated with that Customer Record ID. See above.
- Fix the errors and try the import again.