Customer Management Troubleshooting
Add, edit, or delete customers from your customer list in a spreadsheet to keep customer contact information updated. This page offers solutions to potential issues that may arise when managing customers.
Table of Contents
I want to search the Customer List by email address.
You can only search the BackOffice Customer List by first/last name. Export the customer list to a spreadsheet to view all customers and their details.
- Click 'Marketing' and select 'Export Customers'.
- Press 'Download'.
- Open the file in a spreadsheet editor (e.g. Excel) to see the complete list.
The Customer List doesn’t display all of my customers.
The Customer List only displays your 20 most recent customers. For the full list, follow the instructions above to export customers.
I receive an error when I select a spreadsheet to import.
There are a few errors you might see: “CSV file contains invalid characters,” “Imported file is invalid,” “Imported file content type is invalid,” and “CSV file must include both a header and a record.”
Open the import spreadsheet and:
- Check that you saved it as a .CSV file.
- Eliminate any nonstandard characters that may cause problems.
- Ensure the spreadsheet contains more than just a header row.
- Try to import the file again.
"Record ID must be mapped to proceed."
You cannot delete or change the Customer Record ID column on the spreadsheet you are using to bulk modify/delete customers. Modifying/deleting the Customer Record ID column causes this error.
There were errors with my add / modify / delete import job.
- Click 'Download errors (CSV)'.
- Open the file when finished downloading.
- Look at the first column (Errors) to see what went wrong.
“Either first name, last name, or email address must be present” – Customers must have at least one of these. This error also appears for blank rows left in the spreadsheet.
“Email is invalid” – The email entered is in the wrong format. Check that its not missing the @ or the .com/.org/etc. Emails should look like this: firstname.lastname@example.org
“Sales tax number can’t be blank” – If you entered ‘Yes’ in the Tax Exempt column, you must enter the customer’s tax number in the following column.
“No customer associated with this ID” – This happens when Bulk Management can’t find a customer associated with that Customer Record ID. See above.
- Fix the errors and try the import again.