Learn what you need to know about the iPad itself, such as the location of the Home button, and how to download and update the ShopKeep App on the iPad.
Check out our best practices guide to learn which iPad models are compatible with ShopKeep.
Table of Contents
From the iPad hardware and buttons to settings and apps, continue through the sections below to learn all the basics.
Get to know the buttons, ports, and plugs on the iPad.
The only physical button on the face of the iPad used to return the iPad to its main screen with the apps.
Volume up/down buttons are located on the side near the camera. Some models also have a switch that mutes the iPad or locks its screen orientation.
Apple’s standard cable and port for mobile devices. This connector appears on iPads, iPad Minis, and iPhones.
Can’t find the Lightning port? Visit our iPad Troubleshooting guide for help.
Located on the side (near the camera) is a standard 3.5mm jack that works with headphones and speakers.
Sleep / Wake (Power) Button
Flat button on the frame of the iPad. Tap this to turn the screen off/on or hold it down to power off the iPad.
Once acquainted with the iPad, visit our iPad Best Practices guide to learn how to best take care of it.
Control the iPad’s features and functions from the built-in Settings app.
Connect to a Network
Connect the iPad to your network wirelessly via Wi-Fi or physically with an ethernet adapter and cable to download ShopKeep, sync transactions to BackOffice, and run credit cards.
Note: If using the iDynamo credit card reader, you must connect the iPad to your network via Wi-Fi.
Connect via Wi-Fi
- In the Settings app, tap 'Wi-Fi' to view a list of nearby networks.
- Select your network.
- Enter the network’s password and tap ‘Join’.
A check mark will appear to indicate the iPad is connected.
Connect via Ethernet
- Plug a Lightning cable into the Lightning to USB Adapter.
- Plug the USB end of the Lightning cable into the iPad’s power adapter.
Be sure to use the power adapter that came with the iPad. Other adapters may not provide enough energy to charge the device.
- Plug the power adapter into a power outlet.
- Connect the Lightning to USB Adapter to the iPad’s charging port.
- Connect the USB Ethernet Adapter to the Lightning to USB Adapter.
- Plug an ethernet cable into the USB Ethernet Adapter and the other end into your router.
In the Settings app, ‘Ethernet’ will appear to indicate the adapter is properly connected.
Apps are software that run on the iPad and allow it to perform various functions.
Apple’s App Store
The App Store is where apps can be downloaded and updated. Using the App Store requires an Apple ID.
ShopKeep Register App
The ShopKeep app is your register. Ring up customers, process returns, clock in and out, and lots more. Learn what’s new in the latest version by reading our ShopKeep Register App Release Notes.
Browse the App Store to download apps, such as the ShopKeep app or ShopKeep Pocket, to the iPad.
Downloading ShopKeep requires an Apple ID.
Don’t have an Apple ID? Visit Apple Support to learn how to set one up.
Watch our Download & Activate video below:
- Open the App Store.
- Tap 'Search'.
- Type 'ShopKeep' in the search bar.
- Select 'ShopKeep' to visit the download page.
- Tap 'Get', then 'Install' to begin downloading.
Depending on your internet speed, the register app downloads in a few moments.
Update the ShopKeep App
ShopKeep software updates deliver new features, bug fixes, and more reliable performance to the register app. For the best possible experience, update the ShopKeep app whenever a new version is released.
For help updating iOS, the iPad’s operating system, visit the Updating iOS article instead.
Before updating the ShopKeep app…
Watch our Update the ShopKeep App video below:
- Open the App Store.
- Tap 'Updates' in the bottom right corner.
- Press 'Update' next to the ShopKeep app.
- After the update has downloaded, open the ShopKeep app.
- Wait for the register to update its database.
Once the update is complete, the sign in screen will appear.