for Quick-Service Restaurants
After setting up BackOffice, check out part 2: ShopKeep Register for Quick-Service Restaurants.
BackOffice is your first step in running a smarter quick-service restaurant, such as a café or fast food business, with ShopKeep. Set up your menu, assign register access to employees, and design your receipts, all from one central hub.
Table of Contents
Build Your Menu
Before you can sell your world famous coffee, you need to set up your menu in BackOffice. Check out the sections below to add a menu item, tweak its options, and put it on the register layout.
If you have questions about adding or managing menu items, visit our Inventory FAQ.
Add Menu Items
To get started building your menu, add each menu item one at a time.
- Click 'Items' and select 'Item List'.
- Click 'Add New'.
- Select 'Create' under 'Basic Item'.
- Fill in the menu item's details.
Category | A subset of Department that is used for ticket printing.
Sales Price | The amount customers pay.
Track Inventory | Determines whether the menu item’s quantity is tracked.
Set to ‘True’ for countable items such as retail goods or bottled drinks.
Set to ‘False’ for made-to-order items or those without a quantity.
- Click 'Save'.
For more on adding items, like how to track costs, visit our Add Basic Items article.
Set Up Modifiers
Add modifiers to an item to allow customers to customize their order. Modifiers represent the different options a customer has when they order – like the size of a drink.
- Click the 'Modifiers' tab.
Groups – Single Choice
These are for either/or choices you give the customer. For example, a cup of coffee can be small or medium, but not both at the same time.
- Press 'Add a group' and enter a 'Group name'.
- Enter the group’s default selection.
- Use 'Add another option' to create more choices.
Add to price | Amount to add to the sales price if selected.
Green Check | The base or default choice the item starts with.
Trash Can | Deletes the group / option.
- Press 'OK' to save changes.
Add-ons include extra toppings, customizations, etc. Customers can select as many of these multiple choice modifiers as they want.
- Click 'Add an option'.
- Enter a name and optional 'Add to price'.
- Use 'Add another option' to create more options.
- Click 'OK' to save changes.
Set up “NO” options so customers can exclude ingredients that normally come standard with an item.
- Click 'Add an option'.
- Enter a name and optional 'Discount when OFF' price.
Discount when OFF | Amount to subtract from the price if the customer doesn’t want the ingredient.
- Click 'Add another option' to set up more.
- Press 'OK' to save changes.
For more on modifiers, like how to copy them from one item to another, visit our Modifiers article.
An organized register layout makes it easy for cashiers to find menu items and quickly add them to a customer’s order.
- Click 'Items' and select 'Register Layout'.
- Type the name of an item to find it on the list.
- Drag and drop the item into a position on the layout below.
For more help with the register layout, such as how to add pages, see our Register Layout article.
Staff & Privileges
Managers need to be able to open and close the shift, cashiers need to ring sales, and prep staff need to clock in and out. Set up each staff member so they can use the register.
If you have questions about adding your staff, visit our BackOffice FAQ.
Add each of your staff members to give them register access and to track their contact details.
- Click 'Staff' and select 'Staff List'.
- Click 'Add Staff'.
- Fill in the employee's information.
Enter at least a first name, last name, & register code.
Register Code | A 4-digit code that allows an employee to clock in and out of the register and perform cashier functions.
Register Permission | Check the ‘Manager’ box to give access to manager functions at the register.
BackOffice Permission | Select a level of BackOffice access to give to an employee. Visit our Manage Staff article to learn about the different types of BackOffice permissions.
Don’t see ‘BackOffice Permission’? Visit our Staff Troubleshooting guide for help.
- Click 'Save' to finish up.
To learn more about adding employees in BackOffice, visit our Manage Staff article.
Set Manager Privileges
Manager privileges allow you to restrict access to particular discounts so employees need a manager to enter their register code before applying the discount.
- Click 'Settings' and select 'Discounts'.
- Select any discount or 'Add Discount' to create a new one.
- Check 'Requires Manager' to enable permissions.
- Click 'OK' to confirm.
Check out our full Manage Staff support article for more information on adding employees.
Receipt & Gratuity Settings
Enter the business details that will print on customer receipts and decide how customers will sign and tip for credit card sales in BackOffice or from the iOS ShopKeep Register app (must be on v4.0 or above).
Most quick-serve businesses prefer to print receipts since it’s quicker than emailing them. If you want to set up email receipts, see our Receipt Setup article.
- Sign into BackOffice or the iOS ShopKeep Register app as the Business Owner and open receipt settings.BackOfficeiOS ShopKeep Register App
The receipt is a reminder of a customer’s experience at your business. Enter your business information to give them a record of where they ordered that delicious meal last week.
- Click the ‘Business Info’ tab.
- Fill in as much ‘Business Info’ as desired for receipts.
- Click ‘Save’ to save changes.
Finish receipt setup by configuring the Tips and Signature settings for credit sales.
- Click the ‘Tips and Signature’ tab.
- Click the 'Signature' drop-down and select an option, then enable the ‘Tips’ setting.
- Many quick-serve eateries prefer ‘On screen’. It’s faster and saves paper.
- Note: The ‘Combine tip options and signature on the same screen’ setting is only available on the ShopKeep Register for iOS when EMV payments are not enabled.
- (Optional) Customize each suggested tip value and type (‘$’ or ‘%’).
Suggestions appear on the register’s gratuity screen with tips enabled on screen (see step 2). Visit our Tips and Gratuity article to learn how to enable tip suggestions for paper receipts.
- Click 'Save'.
To learn about the other tip and gratuity options, check out our Tips and Gratuity article.
Maybe everything you sell is taxed the same or maybe you sell other goods (e.g. alcohol) that require a different rate. Enter the default tax rate that will be automatically applied to taxable items, then set up additional rates to override the default for specific items.
If you have questions about tax reporting, visit our Reporting FAQ.
- Click 'Settings' and select 'Taxes'.
- Click the default tax rate indicated by the checkmark.
- Enter the tax rate details, then click ‘Update’.
Name | Name of the tax rate as it appears in BackOffice reporting (e.g. “Prepared Food Tax”).
Rate | Percentage of tax charged for this tax rate (e.g. 7%, 8.875%, etc.).
Set as Default | When checked, the tax rate becomes the default tax applied to all items not assigned to a tax rate.
- (Optional) Follow the steps here to set up additional tax rates and assign items to taxes.