R7000 Nighthawk Smart Wireless Router
The R7000 Nighthawk Router takes your existing internet connection and makes it wireless so you can enjoy WiFi access in your business. Follow this guide to learn how to set up the Nighthawk step by step.
Watch our setup video below:
Table of Contents
In the Box
Set up the Nighthawk by connecting it to power and to the internet.
Visit our Best Practices for Network Setup guide for tips on where to place the router and general network recommendations.
- Remove the cap from each antenna. Screw the antennas into the posts on the back of the router.
Place the outside antennas at 45° angles and position the center antenna vertically.
- Unplug your modem from power to turn it off.
- Connect the ethernet cable to the yellow port on back of the router.
- Connect the other end of the ethernet cable to the modem.
- Plug the modem in to power to turn it back on.
- Press the power button on the Nighthawk to turn it on.
- On the iPad, open Settings and connect to the router's WiFi network.
The network name (SSID) and password (network key) are printed on the bottom of the Nighthawk.
- Open a web browser and wait for the NETGEAR genie to automatically load.
- Follow the on screen prompts to finish setting up the Nighthawk.
After setup, log in to the router to change the network name, create a guest network, and configure other router settings.
- Connect to the router's WiFi network from your iPad or another device.
- Open a web browser and visit www.routerlogin.net.
- Enter the admin username and password.
The default username is admin and the default password is password.
Welcome to the Basic Home page.
This is where to change network names/passwords, set up a guest network, and view other settings.
Go to Advanced > Administration > Set Password to change the administrator username/password.
Network Names & Passwords
Change the names and passwords of the Nighthawk’s WiFi networks so you can easily identify them and connect your registers.
- On the Basic Home page, tap 'Wireless'.
- Enter a name, select a security type, and choose a password for the router's 2.4GHz network.
- Scroll down and repeat step 2 for the 5GHz network.
- Tap 'Apply' to save changes.
- Reconnect to the WiFi network.
Create a Guest Network
If you want to open the network up to customers, create a guest network. That way, customers can connect to the internet without accessing your secure private network.
- On the Basic Home page, tap 'Guest Network'.
- Check 'Enable Guest Network' and enter a name for the network.
- (Optional) Choose a security type and enter a password.
Leave security set to ‘None’ if you do not want guests to enter a password to connect.
- Tap 'Apply' to save changes.
Reset the Router
If you run into problems while setting up or using the Nighthawk, you can reset it to factory settings.
Resetting the Nighthawk reverts the network names/passwords, admin login, and all other settings back to factory defaults.
- Use a paper clip to hold the 'Reset' button for at least seven seconds.
Release the reset button when the power light begins blinking orange.
- Wait for the router to reboot.
The router is finished rebooting when the power light turns solid white.