Set up the Socket Bluetooth barcode scanner so you can use it with your register. Charge the scanner, pair it with the iPad, and add your item UPC codes to BackOffice.
Setting up The Mini USB Barcode Scanner by ID Tech or a Zebra USB Barcode Scanner? Find the setup article for your scanner here.
Watch our Barcode Scanner Setup video below:
Table of Contents
In the Box
The Socket Barcode Scanner ships with all of the parts listed below.
Charge the Scanner
Socket scanners use rechargeable batteries to keep your store’s operations moving for a full day. Plug the scanner in to charge before using it the first time and whenever its batteries are running low.
- Plug the USB charging cable into the scanner or charging dock (sold separately).
- Plug the USB end of the charging cable into a 5V/1A charging adapter (sold separately).
Purchase a compatible charging adapter here.
- Plug the charging adapter into a power outlet.
- If using a charging dock, place the scanner on the dock.
- If setting up the scanner for the first time, allow it to charge for 6 hours.
Having trouble charging the scanner? Visit one of the troubleshooting guides below for help:
Pair the Socket scanner with the iPad to begin using it at the register.
- Hold the power button to turn the scanner on.
- Open the iPad's 'Settings' app.
- Tap 'Bluetooth'.
- Switch Bluetooth on and tap the 'Socket' device.
- Wait for the Socket's status to change to Connected'.
The scanner will remain paired with the iPad until powered off or disconnected.
If you have difficulty pairing the scanner, visit our Barcode Scanner Troubleshooting guide for help.
Unpair the scanner from the iPad to pair it with a different device or to change the scanner’s mode.
- Open Settings on the iPad.
- Tap 'Bluetooth'.
- Tap the blue ⓘ next to the scanner.
- Select 'Forget This Device'.
- Tap 'OK' to confirm.
Socket scanners support multiple modes of operation. Basic Mode (HID) is the default for all scanners, but ShopKeep also supports Application Mode for iOS devices. Learn about each mode below to decide which to use with your scanner.
Before switching your scanner’s mode, unpair the scanner from your iPad.
Look at the label on the bottom of your scanner to find its model number.
Add UPC Codes
Add item UPC codes to BackOffice so you can scan them at the register. For large quantities of items, consider using Bulk Management to import UPC codes from a spreadsheet.
- In BackOffice, click 'Items' and select 'Items List'.
- Select an item to edit or add a new item.
- Click the 'UPC' field and enter/scan the item’s UPC code.
UPC codes must be 8, 12, or 13 digits in length and cannot begin with 2, 4, or 5.
- Press 'OK' or 'Save' to save changes.
- Get Updates on each register to sync the changes.