Add Basic Items
Basic items are individual inventory items sold without multiple options or variations, such as color or material. Basic items can, however, have modifiers attached to them to allow for item customizations to be made at the register.
For adding large quantities of items, use Bulk Management to import inventory by spreadsheet.
Table of Contents
Create a Basic Item
Enter details such as item name, price, and cost to create a basic inventory item. Decide whether to track the item’s quantity, set its register status, and customize other attributes that control how the item works. Employees with the relevant BackOffice permissions also have the ability to create items from the ShopKeep Register app.
Changing the name, department, category, or supplier of an item after creating it will also update this information in some historical reporting. To learn more, visit the article for a specific report from our BackOffice support page.
- Visit the Item List in BackOffice or from the ShopKeep Register app (employees with BackOffice permissions only.
- In BackOffice, click ‘Items’ and select ‘Item List’.
iOS ShopKeep Register AppAndroid ShopKeep Register App
- In the iOS ShopKeep Register app, tap ‘Manage Items’ on the Main Menu. For the Android ShopKeep Register app, tap ‘Setup’ on the register menu, then select ‘Manage Items’.
- Click ‘Add New’.
- Click ‘Create’ under 'Basic Item'.
To learn how to create items with variants, visit our Add an Item with Variants article.
- Quickly add a basic item by entering an ‘Item Name’ and ‘Item Price’, then clicking ‘Save’. If more details such as a UPC code, Department, or Supplier are required, tap ‘More fields…’ and follow the steps below.
- Fill in the item detail fields.
Name | What cashiers see at the register and what prints on receipts. Cashiers can search for items by Name at the register. An item can be given a nickname on the item shortcuts panel.
Category | Subgroup within a Department, also used for organization, ticket printing, and reporting.
Register Status | If Active, the item appears on the register and can be sold. If Inactive, the item remains on your Item List but cannot be sold at the register.
SKU | Unique identifier automatically created for each item and used to generate barcodes for ShopKeep Label Printing. Cashiers can search for items by SKU at the register.
UPC | 8, 12, or 13 digit product barcode that can be scanned to ring up the item. Cashiers can search for items by UPC at the register.
- 8 and 12 digit UPC codes cannot begin with 2, 4, or 5. No UPC codes can contain letters. If a UPC does not meet these criteria, print a new label via ShopKeep Label Printing to scan the item at the register.
Sales Price | Amount the customer pays for the item at the register. This field is only available if the item’s Price Type is Fixed or Unit Price.
Discounts | If Discountable, discounts can be applied to the item. If Non-discountable, the item cannot have a discount applied to it.
Taxable | If Yes, tax will be charged for the item. If No, tax will not be charged.
Tax Rate | Select an existing tax rate, or create a new one to override the default tax rate for the item. This field is only active when ‘Taxable’ is set to ‘Yes’.
Price Type | How the item’s price is entered: Fixed, At the Register, or by Unit Price (lb, oz, etc.).
Cost per Item | How much the business pays to acquire the item.
Track Quantity On Hand | Toggle on to update the item’s Current Quantity after sales and returns. Toggle off to not track the quantity (usually used for services or made-to-order items).
Current Quantity | Total amount of the item in stock. Once the quantity reaches 0, it becomes negative if the item continues to sell. This field only appears if Track Inventory is toggled on.
Learn how to view an item’s quantity in BackOffice and at the register here.
Reorder Trigger | Low quantity amount that prompts the item to appear on the Reorder Report. This field only appears if Track Inventory is toggled on.
Recommended Order | Quantity required for the item to be considered fully stocked. This field only appears if Track Inventory is toggled on.
Supplier’s Item ID | Any reorder code associated with the item.
Ticket Printer Group | Assign the item to a printer group for ticket printing.
- (Optional for multi-location accounts) Check the box to create the item in all linked locations.
This option is available for merchants with multiple linked locations and is only visible to the Business Owner in BackOffice.
- In linked locations where the item is created, it is given a quantity on hand of 0, charged the default tax for that location, and not assigned to a printer group. Separate labels must be printed from the BackOffice of each location as the item will have a different SKU in each store.
- In locations where an item with the same name or UPC already exists, the new item will not be created.
- Liability items cannot be created in all locations and must be manually set up in each store.
- Click the default save option or click the arrow to select another save option to finish creating the item.
Save and create new | Save the current item and create a new basic item.
Save and keep editing | Save the current item and remain on the details page to make adjustments.
Save and close | Save the current item and return to the Item List.
The last used selection will be remembered as the default save option.
- (Optional) If creating the item in all linked locations (step 5), finish setting it up in the other store(s).Refresh the Item List to check the status of the item.Once created in all linked locations, the blue status bar will disappear when the page is refreshed.After the item is created, switch to another location.c – g below are optional. Do only what matches your business needs.From the Item List or Bulk Management, update item properties that are different for the new store (e.g. price changes, reorder triggers, etc.)Items are not synced between stores. Each store’s inventory is separate and must be managed independently from that location’s BackOffice.Adjust the quantity on hand of each item to the correct quantity for that location.Assign the item to an existing tax rate or create a new one.Assign the item to a printer group.Repeat b – g in step 7 for each additional location.
- If creating items from BackOffice, get updates on the iOS or Android register to sync the changes made to the register.
Receiving an error when getting updates? Visit our Login / Access Troubleshooting guide for help.
Basic Item FAQ
What are the differences between Basic Items and Items with Variants?
Should I create a basic item or an item with variants?
Visit our Variants vs. Modifiers article to compare the benefits of using items with variants against using basic items with modifiers to decide which is best for your business.
Is it possible to change basic items to variant items?
No. However, existing basic items can be recreated as items with variants. Visit our Transition to Items with Variants article to learn how to switch over.
Is there a limit on how many items I can have in my inventory?
No, there is no limit on how many items can be added.
Is it possible to modify or add on to an item at the register?
Yes, simply set up modifiers to allow customers to customize items at the register.
Can I create an item at the register?
Yes. Employees with the relevant BackOffice permissions can create and modify items in the ShopKeep Register app.
Is it possible to add an item description that cashiers can see at the register?
No. An item’s Name or its nickname on the item shortcuts panel is its sole identifier at the register. Items do not have additional fields for including descriptions.
How can I view my current inventory?
The Item List shows every item currently in inventory. From the Item List, you can browse all items, customize what information is displayed, search, sort, and filter to find specific items, view details of individual items and item variants, add new items, and edit existing ones, and download an export of the list.
How can I check an item’s quantity on hand?
Visit our Inventory Tracking & Reorder Report article to learn how to view an item’s quantity both in BackOffice and at the register.
How do I delete an item?
From the Item List, click to edit an existing item and select ‘Delete’. Check the box to delete the item in all linked locations (optional for multi-location accounts) and select ‘Continue’ to confirm the deletion. To delete many items at once from a single location, use Bulk Management.
Please be aware that if a deleted item is re-added later, labels printed for the original item must be re-printed. Deleted items appear on sales reports, but do not appear on certain other reports. Visit our Inventory FAQ to learn which reports are not supported.
After creating a basic item, let’s move on to more advanced inventory topics. Build the register’s shortcut panel, set up modifiers to allow on-the-fly customizations, attach raw goods to track an item’s components, and print barcode labels for items without UPC codes.
The item shortcuts panel refers to the group of register shortcuts cashiers tap to ring up items. Visit our Item Shortcuts article to learn how to add shortcuts to the layout and customize how it looks.
Modifiers are often used in restaurants to allow customers to customize, add to, or hold ingredients from items on an order. Modifiers print on kitchen tickets to make communicating adjustments to the kitchen easier. Visit our Modifiers article to learn how to set up and use modifiers.
Raw goods exist separately from inventory items and are used to track the components of those items. Visit our Using Raw Goods article to learn how to enable raw goods and when to use them.
ShopKeep Label Printing
Print barcode labels for items without UPC codes to allow cashiers to scan those items at the register. Visit our ShopKeep Label Printing article to learn how to print labels directly from BackOffice.