Variants Vs. Modifiers
It’s important to understand the benefits of using items with variants versus basic items with modifiers. Items with variants are trackable and ideal for retail stores. Modifiers are ideal for restaurants requiring fast order customization and for businesses that need to print to a ticket printer.
Table of Contents
Advantages of Variants
Variants make it easy to sell a single item with multiple attributes such as size, color, or material. Each variant is tracked individually and reflected in sales and inventory reporting.
For more help understanding, creating, and using items with variants, visit our Items with Variants Index.
- Each variant has its own SKU, allowing individual tracking.
- Information can be quickly copied from one variant to others.
- Inventory can be received and adjusted for each variant.
Visit this support article to learn how receiving and adjusting items with variants works.
- Each variant can have its own reorder trigger.
- Variants can be found on the iPad by scanning the item with a barcode scanner.
- Easily make variants active and inactive in BackOffice.
Uncheck the box next to each variant to make it inactive if you’ve run out of stock. Check the box to make it active again once more inventory has been received.
- Track sales of individual variants.
The Transactions Report is one example of where you can see variants listed individually among sales.
- Duplicate UPCs can be assigned to multiple variants within a single item.
There are some BackOffice features that items with variants do not support. Visit our Items with Variants in BackOffice article to learn about these limitations.
Advantages of Modifiers
Modifiers are ideal for restaurants, bars, and quick-service environments because they can print to ticket printers. Modifiers also offer the ability to customize price and item specifications (i.e. add-ons, size differentiation, and ingredient exclusion) at the point of sale.
- Modifiers are more flexible at the point of sale.
- Modifiers print to ticket printers, making it simple to create a customized order.
- The Sales by Modifier report tracks how much of an item and its modifiers have been sold over a specified period of time (up to 31 days).
Still unsure whether to use basic items or items with variants? Visit this interactive support article for help figuring it out.