This page focuses on solving issues related to staff/employees and BackOffice time clock punch reporting.
Table of Contents
- Staff List Issues
- Some employees are missing from the Staff List.
- I can't give BackOffice permissions to an employee.
- I created a new employee in BackOffice, but they can't sign in.
- I accidentally deleted an employee.
- Time Clock Issues
- Time punches in BackOffice show the wrong time.
- Some time clock punches are missing.
- An employee forgot to clock in/out or clocked in/out at the wrong time.
- An employee clocked in/out two times for their shift.
- Labor Tracking Issues
- The report’s overtime, double time, or total hours worked look incorrect.
- I cannot select a particular date range.
- I need to change my overtime and double time rules.
- “Welcome to the new Labor Tracking report!”
- “This report will be available to use from…”
Staff List Issues
From missing employees to missing settings, this section has solutions to common Staff List problems.
Some employees are missing from the Staff List.
BackOffice managers see a limited staff list which excludes other BackOffice managers. Log in as the Business Owner to view all staff.
- Click the arrow at the top and select 'Logout'.
- Enter the Business Owner login information and click 'Log in'.
The Business Owner login is the email and password used to create the store.
I can't give BackOffice permissions to an employee.
The Business Owner is the only user who can give an employee BackOffice access. If you don’t see ‘BackOffice Permission’ when adding/editing an employee, you are not signed in as the Business Owner.
- Log out of BackOffice.
- Log back in as the Business Owner.
If you need step-by-step help logging in and out, follow the steps above.
I created a new employee in BackOffice, but they can't sign in.
This error can occur if employee information is not saved on the Staff List, or ‘Get Updates’ has not been completed on the register.
- After an employee is entered or employee information is updated, click 'Save' on the employee information page.
- Click 'OK' on the Staff List.
- 'Get Updates' on the register.
I accidentally deleted an employee.
Employees cannot be undeleted. If you delete an employee, manually add them back to the Staff List.
Time Clock Issues
If you are having problems with the Time Clock in BackOffice, we have you covered in this section.
Time punches in BackOffice show the wrong time.
There are a few date and time settings that affect how time clock punches display. Follow the steps below to troubleshoot each potential cause of this issue.
- Make sure the time zone is set correctly on the device from which you’re accessing BackOffice.
- Check the BackOffice time zone setting.
- Check the date, time, and time zone settings on the iPad register.
- Clock in/out to verify if a new clock punch displays the right time.
If this displays the correct time but older punches still do not, manually edit the older punches.
Some time clock punches are missing.
There are a few reasons why time clock punches may be missing from BackOffice. Follow the steps below to troubleshoot each potential cause.
- Make sure employees know how to clock in and out.
Clocking in and out is different than signing in and out of the register. Learn more about using the time clock here.
- Verify the date and time range.
You may have selected the wrong date/time range or not chosen a range at all.
- Sign in to the register as a manager and troubleshoot the pending queue.
The Pending Queue shows if there is data on the register that has not synced to BackOffice.
An employee forgot to clock in/out or clocked in/out at the wrong time.
Visit the Using the Time Clock article to learn how a BackOffice Manager can add missed clock punches and edit existing ones.
An employee clocked in/out two times for their shift.
The Time Clock displays more than one shift when an employee clocks in/out multiple times. To fix this issue, simply delete one of the duplicate shifts and adjust the in/out times on the other shift if needed.
- Click the trash can to delete one of the shifts.
- Click 'Confirm' to confirm the deletion.
- If necessary, manually edit the remaining clock punches.
Labor Tracking Issues
This section covers issues related to the Labor Tracking Report available in BackOffice.
The Labor Tracking and Wage Settings features are limited pre-release beta versions. To learn what to expect and how to provide feedback, visit our Labor Tracking Beta Overview.
The report’s overtime, double time, or total hours worked look incorrect.
The Labor Tracking Report is generated based on clock punches recorded in the Time Clock and the BackOffice wage settings that control the start of your pay week and how overtime is earned. Verify these details to ensure the report displays correct information.
- Follow the steps here to verify all employee hours in the Time Clock.
- Follow the steps here to check and, if necessary, update overtime and double time rules.
Please note that the pay week starting day cannot be changed.
New wage settings take effect at the start of the following pay week and apply to hours worked from then forward. This ensures future reporting is accurate but does not affect historical reporting.
I cannot select a particular date range.
The Labor Tracking Report only provides data for date ranges of one or more pay weeks that occur after wage settings initially take effect. A partial week range can only be selected for the current pay week. Other date ranges cannot be selected.
I need to change my overtime and double time rules.
If local labor laws change, update your wage settings to make sure the Labor Tracking Report correctly calculates employee overtime and double time hours. New wage settings take effect at the start of the following pay week and apply to hours worked from then forward.
Please note that the pay week starting day cannot be changed.
- Follow the steps here to update your wage settings.
This ensures future reporting is accurate but does not affect historical reporting.
“Welcome to the new Labor Tracking report!”
Initial setup of wage settings in BackOffice must happen before running the Labor Tracking Report for the first time. Follow the steps below to configure your wage settings.
- Click ‘Add Wage Settings Now’ to go to the wage settings page.
- Follow the steps here to set up your wage settings.
“This report will be available to use from…”
This error appears on the Labor Tracking Report after wage settings are initially configured, but before they have taken effect. Wage settings go into effect at the beginning of the following pay week.
- Run the Labor Tracking Report after the date listed on the error.