This page focuses on solving issues related to staff/employees and BackOffice time clock punch reporting.
Table of Contents
Staff List Issues
From missing employees to missing settings, this section has solutions to common Staff List problems.
Some employees are missing from the Staff List.
BackOffice Managers and Custom Users without the proper permissions see a limited staff list that excludes other employees with BackOffice access. Log in as the Business Owner or as a Custom User with ‘Manage Staff’ and ‘Manage BackOffice Access’ permissions to view all staff.
- Click the arrow at the top and select 'Logout'.
- Enter the login information of the Business Owner or a Custom User with ‘Manage Staff’ and ‘Manage BackOffice Access’ permissions and click 'Log in'.
The Business Owner login is the email and password used to create the store.
I can't add, edit, delete, or give BackOffice permissions to employees.
The Business Owner and Custom Users with ‘Manage Staff’ and/or ‘Manage BackOffice Access’ permissions are the only users who can manage employees. If you are unable to add, edit, and delete employees or don’t see ‘BackOffice Access’ when adding or editing an employee, you are not signed in as a user with the proper permissions.
- Log out of BackOffice.
- Log back in as the Business Owner or a Custom User with ‘Manage Staff’ and/or ‘Manage BackOffice Access’ permissions.
If you need step-by-step help logging in and out, follow the steps above.
I created a new employee in BackOffice, but they can't sign in.
This error can occur if employee information is not saved on the Staff List, or ‘Get Updates’ has not been completed on the register.
- After an employee is entered or employee information is updated, click 'Save' on the employee information page.
- 'Get Updates' on the register.
I accidentally deactivated an employee.
Employees cannot be reactivated. If you delete an employee, manually add them back to the Staff List.
Time Clock Issues
If you are having problems with the Time Clock in BackOffice, we have you covered in this section.
Time clock punches in BackOffice show the wrong time.
There are a few date and time settings that affect how time clock punches display. Follow the steps below to troubleshoot each potential cause of this issue.
- Make sure the time zone is set correctly on the device from which you’re accessing BackOffice.
- Check the BackOffice time zone setting.
- Check the date, time, and time zone settings on the iPad register.
- Clock in/out to verify if a new clock punch displays the right time.
If this displays the correct time but older punches still do not, manually edit the older punches.
Some time clock punches are missing.
There are a few reasons why time clock punches may be missing from BackOffice. Follow the steps below to troubleshoot each potential cause. After each step, check to see if the punches are still missing.
- Make sure employees know how to clock in and out.
Clocking in and out is different than signing in and out of the register. Learn more about using the time clock here.
- Verify the date and time range.
You may have selected the wrong date/time range or not chosen a range at all.
- Follow the steps here to troubleshoot the register’s network connection.
This ensures future clock punches will sync to BackOffice but does not sync previous clock punch attempts that failed due to internet issues.
An employee forgot to clock in/out or clocked in/out at the wrong time.
Visit the Using the Time Clock article to learn how a BackOffice Manager can add missed clock punches and edit existing ones.
An employee has multiple shifts listed for the same day.
The Time Clock displays more than one shift when an employee clocks in and out multiple times. Delete unneeded shifts and adjust the in/out times on the other shift(s) if necessary.
- Click the trash can to delete one of the shifts.
- Click 'Confirm' to confirm the deletion.
- If necessary, manually edit the remaining clock punches.
Some shifts are shorter or longer than expected.
Employees must be clocked in to be able to clock out and vice versa. If an employee records a clock punch at an erroneous time to start or end a shift so they can clock in or out, the shift will not be the correct length and will need to be adjusted.
- Fix mistakes on the report.
Labor Tracking Issues
This section covers issues related to the Labor Tracking Report available in BackOffice.
The report’s overtime, double time, or total hours worked look incorrect.
The Labor Tracking Report is generated based on clock punches recorded in the Time Clock and the BackOffice overtime settings that control the start of your pay week and how overtime is earned. Verify these details to ensure the report displays correct information.
- Follow the steps here to verify all employee hours in the Time Clock.
- Follow the steps here to check and, if necessary, update overtime and double time rules.
Please note that the pay week starting day cannot be changed.
New overtime settings take effect at the start of the following pay week and apply to hours worked from then forward. This ensures future reporting is accurate but does not affect historical reporting.
I cannot select a particular date range.
The Labor Tracking Report only provides data for date ranges of one or more pay weeks that occur after overtime settings initially take effect. A partial week range can only be selected for the current pay week. Other date ranges cannot be selected.
I need to change my overtime and double time rules.
If local labor laws change, update your overtime settings to make sure the Labor Tracking Report correctly calculates employee overtime and double time hours. New overtime settings take effect at the start of the following pay week and apply to hours worked from then forward.
Please note that the pay week starting day cannot be changed.
- Follow the steps here to update your overtime settings.
This ensures future reporting is accurate but does not affect historical reporting.
“Welcome to the new Labor Tracking report!”
Initial setup of overtime settings in BackOffice must happen before running the Labor Tracking Report for the first time. Follow the steps below to configure your overtime settings.
- Click ‘Add Wage Settings Now’ to go to the overtime settings page.
- Follow the steps here to set up your overtime settings.
“This report will be available to use from…”
This error appears on the Labor Tracking Report after overtime settings are initially configured, but before they have taken effect. Overtime settings go into effect at the beginning of the following pay week.
- Run the Labor Tracking Report after the date listed on the error.