BackOffice Settings Troubleshooting
This guide covers issues related to the Settings section of BackOffice. From help with linking your multiple locations to syncing any changes made in BackOffice with the register app, we’re here to help you find the solutions you need.
Table of Contents
- General Settings Issues
- Some settings, such as Manage Account, are missing from the menu.
- I changed some settings, but the changes did not affect my register.
- Store Settings Issues
- I can't find the setting that lets customers sign and tip on the same screen.
- Prices do not appear on labels I print from BackOffice.
- How do I change the BackOffice time zone setting?
- "We couldn't find a store with that name"
- "Email or password incorrect"
- "Sorry. There's been an error linking your stores"
- “We’re unable to copy inventory because there are duplicate items.”
- “Adding location failed”
- Register Settings Issues
- My account has too many or too few register licenses.
General Settings Issues
In this section, learn how to resolve some common problems that apply to all BackOffice settings.
Some settings, such as Manage Account, are missing from the menu.
Some settings and features are only accessible to the Business Owner. If settings or features are missing or inaccessible, it means you are signed in as a BackOffice Manager, Receive Inventory User, or Custom User and not as the Business Owner. Follow the steps below to sign out of BackOffice and log in as the Business Owner.
- Click the arrow in the upper right and select 'Logout'.
- Enter the Business Owner email address and password.
The Business Owner email address is the email originally used to set up the account.
- Click 'Log in'.
To learn more about employee privileges in BackOffice, visit our Manage Staff article.
- (Optional) Edit BackOffice permissions for employees from the Staff List to change which areas of BackOffice they can access.
I changed some settings, but the changes did not affect my register.
Whenever you adjust a setting, get updates on the iPad to sync those changes to your register.
- Tap 'Get Updates' on the Control Panel.
Store Settings Issues
This section shows you how to solve issues related to the Store Settings section.
I can't find the setting that lets customers sign and tip on the same screen.
The ‘Combine tip options and signature on the same screen’ setting only appears when certain conditions are met. Follow the steps below to figure out why this feature is missing from your Receipt and Tip Settings.
This setting is not compatible with EMV payments and will not appear if EMV payments are enabled.
- In Receipt and Tip Settings, check that 'Tips & Signature' is set to 'Tip and signature on screen'.
- If this is not set to ‘Tip and signature on screen’, the same screen setting will not appear.
- Visit our Tips and Gratuity article to learn how to check tip and gratuity settings.
Prices do not appear on labels I print from BackOffice.
Just change one setting to set the item price to print on BackOffice labels.
- Click 'Settings' and select 'Label Printing'.
- Change 'Print Price on Label' to 'Yes' and click 'Update'.
How do I change the BackOffice time zone setting?
The time zone setting affects the timestamps on transactions and time clock punches in BackOffice reporting. If you suspect the BackOffice time zone is set incorrectly, follow the steps below to fix it.
- Sign into BackOffice as the Business Owner.
- Click ‘Settings’, then ‘Locations’.
- Select a location.
- Select the location’s time zone from the drop-down.
- Click 'Save'.
If timestamps on reporting are incorrect after setting the BackOffice time zone, make sure each register’s date and time is correct. Learn how to check the register’s date and time setting here.
"We couldn't find a store with that name"
If you see this error when linking locations, it means that the ‘Store Name’ is spelled wrong. Double check the spelling and make sure it is entered lowercase and as one word.
"Email or password incorrect"
If you get this error when linking locations, make sure you are entering the Business Owner login for the store you want to link. Your password is case-sensitive, so upper and lowercase letters do make a difference.
To reset your password, click the ‘Need Help Logging In?’ link on the BackOffice login page to request a password reset link. Shortly after receipting the request, we’ll send the store name and reset password link to the Business Owner email address on file. BackOffice users that are not the Business Owner can only reset their password through the Business Owner. You can do this in the Manage Staff section of BackOffice. If you need more help, visit our BackOffice Settings & Password article.
"Sorry. There's been an error linking your stores"
Follow the steps below to troubleshoot this problem. After each step, check to see if the issue was resolved.
- Check your internet connection and refresh the page.
- Log out of BackOffice and log back in.
- Contact Customer Care if the issue persists.
“We’re unable to copy inventory because there are duplicate items.”
This error appears when automatically copying inventory to a new linked store if the existing store has multiple items, departments, categories, or suppliers with the same name. Since names are not case-sensitive, each must be spelled differently. Follow the steps below to resolve this issue.
- Review what types of duplicates exist and how many there are of each.
- Either fix all duplicates to be able to copy inventory to the new store (2a) or create the store without copying inventory (2b).To fix the duplicates, click a type of duplicate to go to the relevant BackOffice page, then skip to step 3.Items link to the Item List, departments and categories link to the Departments & Categories page, and suppliers link to the Supplier List.To create the store without copying inventory, click ‘Skip Inventory’, then skip the rest of this section.After the store is created, inventory can only be copied manually.
- Fix items with duplicate names if necessary.
If no duplicate items exist, skip to step 4.From the Item List, click to sort by the ‘Item’ column.Look for a group of two or more items with the same name.Either rename or delete items from step 3b so the item name is no longer duplicated.
Renaming an item will change its name in all historical sales reporting.
- To rename an item: click the item to edit it, then enter a new name and click ‘OK’ or ‘Save’ to save.
Repeat steps 3a – 3c until all items have unique names.
- To delete an item: click the item to edit it, then click ‘Delete’ and ‘Continue’ to confirm the deletion.
- Fix departments and categories with duplicate names if necessary.
If no duplicate departments or categories exist, skip to step 5.From the Departments & Categories page, look for a group of two or more departments or categories with the same name.Only categories within a single department need unique names. Categories in separate departments can have the same name.Delete departments and categories from step 4a so the department or category name is no longer duplicated.
If a department or category contains items, first follow the steps here to reassign the items to a different department or category.Repeat steps 4a and 4b until all departments and categories have unique names.
- To delete an empty department or category: click ‘Delete’, then ‘Yes’ to confirm the deletion.
- Fix suppliers with duplicate names if necessary.
If no duplicate suppliers exist, skip to step 6.From the Supplier List, look for a group of two or more suppliers with the same name.Either rename or delete suppliers from step 5a so the supplier name is no longer duplicated.
Renaming a supplier will change its name in all historical reporting.
- To rename a supplier: click ‘Edit’, then enter a new name and click ‘Continue’ to save.
If a supplier has items assigned to it, deleting it will automatically unassign the items. Follow the steps here to assign the items to a new supplier.Repeat steps 5a and 5b until all suppliers have unique names.
- To delete a supplier: click ‘Edit’, then click ‘Delete supplier’ and ‘Delete’ to confirm the deletion.
- At the register, open the Control Panel and tap ‘Get Updates’.
“Adding location failed”
This error appears when adding a new linked location if the existing location contains duplicate suppliers. Follow the steps below to resolve this issue.
- From the Suppliers screen, locate and delete any duplicate suppliers.
- Assign items associated with the deleted supplier to a supplier.Export stock items, then locate items on the export with ‘not tracked’ in the ‘Suppliers’ column.Assign the items to a relevant supplier.
- Create the new location again.
Register Settings Issues
This section covers issues related to settings available in the Register Settings section.
My account has too many or too few register licenses.
Register licenses tie the ShopKeep Register app to BackOffice and affect billing rates. If you have too many or too few licenses, just remove licenses from or add them to your account.
- Follow the steps here to add or remove register licenses.