This feature is only available for ShopKeep merchants on select pricing packages.
ShopKeep eCommerce Integration
Sell items online with ShopKeep eCommerce to acquire new customers and grow your business. Items added to BackOffice sync automatically and can be enabled for sale online as desired. After enabling items, configure store settings, such as shipping and payments, and preview the store before sharing it with customers.
Table of Contents
Enable eCommerce Integration
Enable eCommerce integration in BackOffice to begin setting up an online store with ShopKeep eCommerce.
- Sign into BackOffice as the Business Owner.
- Click ‘Integrations’ and select ‘eCommerce’.
- Click ‘Enable ShopKeep eCommerce’ to set up ShopKeep eCommerce for the account.
Don’t see the ‘Enable’ button? Click ‘Add ShopKeep eCommerce’ and follow the prompts to upgrade to a pricing package that includes this feature. Only the Business Owner or an employee with ‘Manage Account’ and ‘Manage eCommerce Integration’ permissions can add eCommerce Integration.
Open the ShopKeep eCommerce Dashboard to access the tools needed to set up and manage your online store. The Dashboard is only available after eCommerce integration has been enabled for your account.
- Sign into BackOffice as the Business Owner.
- Click ‘Integrations’ and select ‘eCommerce’.
- Click ‘Go to Dashboard’.
Most BackOffice inventory items automatically sync to ShopKeep eCommerce, but items must be manually enabled before they will appear in the online store. After reviewing how item syncing works, customize synced items with photos and descriptions, if desired, and enable them for sale online.
Let’s take a look at how items sync from BackOffice to ShopKeep eCommerce, which item properties sync, and what types of items do not sync to ShopKeep eCommerce.
Having issues with items syncing to ShopKeep eCommerce? Visit our troubleshooting guide for help.
When the integration is enabled, inventory items present in BackOffice automatically sync to ShopKeep eCommerce. After that, new items will automatically sync as they are added to BackOffice. Synced items are disabled in ShopKeep eCommerce and do not appear for sale in your online store until you manually enable them. If you modify or delete items in BackOffice, those changes will also sync. Synchronization is one-way and items added, modified, or deleted in ShopKeep eCommerce will not sync to BackOffice.
Quantity on hand of items will update in both BackOffice and ShopKeep eCommerce as items are sold and returned at the ShopKeep Register, adjusted and received in BackOffice, and sold online through ShopKeep eCommerce. Quantity on hand will not update in BackOffice if it is manually adjusted in ShopKeep eCommerce or if an order is canceled or refunded.
Item names, prices, quantities on hand, SKUs, modifiers, and variants all sync from BackOffice to ShopKeep eCommerce.
Unit priced items, open priced items, “NO” option modifiers, and all other item properties not specifically mentioned above will not sync from BackOffice to ShopKeep eCommerce.
Customize Synced Items
Customize synced inventory items to add product photos, descriptions, and shipping weights. Each step is optional, so do only what matches your business needs.
Changes made to items in ShopKeep eCommerce will not sync to BackOffice. Editing names, prices, quantities on hand, SKUs, modifiers, or variants in ShopKeep eCommerce will create discrepancies with BackOffice.
- From the eCommerce Dashboard, click 'Catalog' and select 'Products'.
- Click 'Edit Product' next to an item.
- Select 'General'.
- (Optional) To add images to the product page of the item, click 'Upload Images', select one or more image files, and click 'Open'.
Each image file must be less than 20MB.
- (Optional) Enter a description to appear on the product page of the item.
- (Optional) Enter a shipping weight.
This is used to automatically calculate shipping charges after adding a shipping method.
- Click 'Save' to save changes.
- (Optional) Repeat steps 1 - 7 as needed to customize additional items.
Enable and Disable Items
Enable inventory items to make them immediately available for purchase on your online store and disable items to prevent from being sold online. By default, items are disabled after syncing to ShopKeep eCommerce and stay that way until they are manually enabled.
After enabling items, visit our Advanced Topics article to learn how to advertise and sell items on other platforms, such as Facebook and Google.
- From the eCommerce Dashboard, click 'Catalog' and select 'Items'.
- Enable or disable items one at a time or in bulk.
- To enable or disable a single item, toggle the switch under the item name.
- To enable or disable multiple items, check the boxes next to one or more items, then click ‘Bulk Update’ and select ‘Enable’ or ‘Disable Selected’.
Configure webstore settings by entering business information, setting up taxes, adding shipping methods, and deciding how to accept payment for orders.
Enter the store name, company name, email address, and company address that will appear on order confirmations and other emails sent to customers.
- From the eCommerce Dashboard, click 'Settings' and select 'General'.
- Click 'Store Profile'.
- Fill in as much of the store profile as desired, but leave 'Store location' blank.
‘Store location’ is configured by default as the URL of the online store.
- Click ‘Save’ to save changes.
Manage tax settings to ensure the correct tax amount is charged for every order, no matter where a customer orders from. Set up a separate tax for each state or location in which your business has a sales tax nexus to charge tax on orders placed from those locations.
IMPORTANT: Sales tax figures in order reporting are estimates based on how you have configured your tax settings. For official filings, always verify the current applicable local tax rates, then manually calculate tax using net taxable and non-taxable revenues. Be aware that tax laws can change at any time and you should contact a tax professional for specific tax advice regarding your business.
- Create a destination zone for a location where your business has a sales tax nexus or physical presence.From the eCommerce Dashboard, click ‘Shipping & Pickup’ and select ‘Zones’.Click ‘Add New Zone’.Enter a name for the zone.Click ‘Add State’ or ‘Add Region’, then click the + next to a state or region where your business has a sales tax nexus or physical presence.Click ‘Save’ to save changes.Learn more about managing destination zones here.
- Click 'Settings' and select 'Taxes'.
- Click 'Manage Tax Rates'.
- Click 'Add New Tax'.
- Fill in the tax details.
Tax Name | Name of the tax. This appears on the customer checkout page of the online store.
Enabled by default for all products | When checked, the tax will be automatically applied to all products.
Tax applies to | Select whether to apply tax to the order subtotal or to the subtotal plus shipping costs.
Include tax in product prices | If checked, the prices displayed for items in the online store will be adjusted to include tax.
Zone defines by | Select whether to charge the tax based on the shipping address or the billing address of the customer.
Rates per zone | Enter a rate to apply to orders from all destination zones or add zone-specific rates.
- Click 'Specify rates per zone'.
- Select the zone created in step 1 and enter the tax rate to charge for orders placed from that location.
- Click 'Save' to save changes.
- Repeat steps 1 - 8 for each additional state or location where your business has a sales tax nexus.
Learn more about managing taxes here.
Shipping and Pickup
Set up shipping and pickup options to allow customers to get their order shipped directly to them via USPS, UPS, FedEx, etc.
- From the eCommerce Dashboard, click 'Shipping and Pickup' and select 'Shipping and Pickup'.
- To set up a shipping method, click 'Add Shipping Method', then click 'Set Up' next to a shipping carrier and follow the prompts.
To restrict shipping to a specific region, add a shipping markup, or enter a default package size for automatically calculating shipping rates, click ‘Edit’ after adding the shipping method.
- (Optional) Repeat step 2 to add additional shipping methods.
- Verify the 'Shipping Origin' is correct. If necessary, click 'Change Address' to enter a new address.
Select a payment provider to give customers the option to pay for orders online with a credit card. To accept order payments outside of your online store, edit the default manual payment method to add instructions, or disable this option to not allow manual payments.
- From the eCommerce Dashboard, click 'Payment'.
- Select a payment processing option and follow the prompts to complete setup.
- Edit the 'Phone order' payment method to add customer instructions for making manual order payments (e.g. by phone, in person, etc.) or disable this option to not allow manual payments.
Learn more about setting up and managing payment methods here.
Preview Your Store
Preview your online store to decide whether additional changes are needed before sharing it with customers.
- From the eCommerce Dashboard, click 'Website'.
- Select 'View'.
- Review the store and items.
- If necessary, click 'Edit Site' to select a different theme, edit the headline, and make other changes to the site content and appearance.
Learn more about customizing your Instant Site here.
- When satisfied, repeat step 1 and share the 'Instant Site' URL with customers to allow them to access the online store.
After the Business Owner is notified by email that a customer placed an order, visit ShopKeep eCommerce to view the details of the order, change its payment status, ship it out, and mark it as shipped.
- From the eCommerce Dashboard, click 'My Sales' and select 'Orders'.
- Select an order number to view details.
- If the customer submitted a manual payment (e.g. by phone, in person, etc.), click the 'Payment Status' drop-down to update the status to ‘Paid’.
If the customer paid online by credit card, the status will automatically update to ‘Paid’.
- Ship the order to the customer using the selected shipping method.
- After shipping the order, click the 'Fulfillment Status' drop-down to update the order status to 'Shipped'.
Continue below for answers to common questions about ShopKeep eCommerce integration.
How can I get more help setting up and managing my online store?
Visit our ShopKeep eCommerce: Advanced Topics article to learn how to set up product categories, manage shipping regions, use your own domain name, add your online store to WordPress, advertise and sell products on social media, and enable online gift cards.
How can I get help with a problem affecting ShopKeep eCommerce?
Visit our ShopKeep eCommerce Troubleshooting guide for help with some common issues.
Are there additional features I can add to my online store?
Yes. Upgrade your ShopKeep eCommerce package to enable advanced functionality for your online store. For more information on upgrading, send an email to email@example.com.
What kinds of items do not sync from BackOffice?
Open priced and unit priced items are not supported and do not sync from BackOffice to ShopKeep eCommerce. Additionally, “NO” Option modifiers added to items in BackOffice do not sync with those items.
Will changes made to items in ShopKeep eCommerce sync to BackOffice?
No. Synchronization is one-way with information syncing from BackOffice to ShopKeep eCommerce only.
When I sell an item online will the quantity of the item automatically update in BackOffice?
Yes. The quantity of a sold item will be automatically removed from BackOffice and from ShopKeep eCommerce when a customer purchases the item online.
When I sell or return an item in store will the quantity of the item update in ShopKeep eCommerce?
Yes. The quantity of a sold item will be automatically removed from ShopKeep eCommerce and from BackOffice when the item is rung up in the ShopKeep Register app. For returns processed in the ShopKeep Register app, the returned quantity will be automatically added to ShopKeep eCommerce and to BackOffice.
Do quantity on hand adjustments made in ShopKeep eCommerce sync to BackOffice?
No. Changes made to the quantity on hand of an item in ShopKeep eCommerce will not sync to BackOffice and will cause a discrepancy between the quantity shown in both places.
Will the quantity on hand of an item automatically update if I cancel or refund an order in ShopKeep eCommerce?
If you cancel or refund an order in ShopKeep eCommerce, the quantity of the returned item will be automatically added to ShopKeep eCommerce but will not be added to BackOffice.
How can I prevent out-of-stock items from being sold?
Items and item variants will be automatically marked out of stock on your online store when their quantity on hand in ShopKeep eCommerce reaches 0, preventing customers from purchasing them. When you receive more of an item, update its quantity in BackOffice to start selling it again online.
Can I enable or disable individual item variations?
No, only entire items can be enabled or disabled.
What is the URL of my online store?
To find the URL of your online store, visit the eCommerce Dashboard and click ‘Website’.
Can I change the URL of my online store?
Sure. Change the subdomain of your ShopKeep eCommerce store by visiting the eCommerce Dashboard, clicking ‘Website’, and selecting ‘Change URL’.
Can I accept ShopKeep gift cards in my online store?
No, ShopKeep gift cards cannot be accepted as payment for online purchases.
Can I customize the layout of my online store?
Yes. From the eCommerce Dashboard, click ‘Website’ and select ‘Edit’ to customize the look and feel of your online store. Select a preset theme or use the editor to change individual settings. Learn more about customizing your online store here.
Are online orders included in BackOffice reporting?
No. To view the orders placed through your online store, click ‘My Sales’ and select ‘Orders’ from the eCommerce Dashboard.