With Tip Later, the cashier authorizes a credit card and comes back to the order at a later point to enter the gratuity. This frees up the register and simplifies the customer interaction.
Watch our Tip Later video below:
Table of Contents
Enable Paper Receipts
Tip Later is only available when customers sign and tip on paper receipts. Learn how to enable paper receipts for credit card transactions to begin using Tip Later at the register.
- Sign into BackOffice as the Business Owner.
- Click 'Settings' and select 'Receipts and Tips'.
- Click the 'Paper Receipt' tab.
- Change 'Tips and Signature' to 'Tip and signature on paper receipt'.
- Click 'Save' to confirm the change.
- In the ShopKeep app, tap 'Get Updates' to sync the change to the register.
Receiving an error while getting updates? Visit our Troubleshooting Guide for help.
Pay Now, Tip Later
Once a customer places their order and the cashier processes their card, use Tip Later to return to the order after the customer signs the receipt to enter their tip.
- Ring up a sale as usual.
Not sure how to start? Visit our Running Sales at the Register article for help.
- Tap 'Credit' to tender the transaction.
- Swipe, tap, insert, or manually enter a credit card.
Visit our Accepting Credit Cards article for help processing a credit card.
- On the tip screen, tap 'Adjust Tip Later'.
- Enter a name for the check (optional) and tap 'Save'.
By default, the check’s name is set to the name of the customer tagged to the sale. If no customer is selected, the name defaults to Walk-in plus the current time.
- After the customer signs the receipt, open the Control Panel and tap 'Checks'.
- Select the check marked 'Awaiting Tip'.
To learn more about the Checks screen, visit our Open Checks article.
- Enter the tip amount from the receipt and tap 'Charge'.
- Select an option for the order's final receipt (optional) and tap 'Done'.