With Tip Later, the cashier authorizes a credit card and comes back to the order at a later point to enter the gratuity. This frees up the register and simplifies the customer interaction.
Watch our Tip Later video below:
Table of Contents
Enable Paper Receipts
Tip Later is only available when customers sign and tip on paper receipts. Learn how to enable paper receipts for credit card transactions to begin using Tip Later at the register.
- Sign into BackOffice as the Business Owner.
- Click 'Settings' and select 'Receipts and Tips'.
- Click the 'Paper Receipt' tab.
- Change 'Tips and Signature' to 'Tip and signature on paper receipt'.
- (Optional) Add tip suggestions to paper receipts.Check the box to enable this feature.Customize each tip’s value and type (‘Amount’ or ‘Percent’).
- Click 'Save' to confirm the change.
- In the ShopKeep app, tap 'Get Updates' to sync the change to the register.
Receiving an error while getting updates? Visit our Troubleshooting Guide for help.
Pay Now, Tip Later
Once a customer places their order and the cashier processes their card, use Tip Later to return to the order after the customer signs the receipt to enter their tip.
To learn how to use Tip Later on the ShopKeep Register on The Mini or The Station, visit our help article here.
- Ring up a sale as usual.
Not sure how to start? Visit our Running Sales at the Register article for help.
- Tap 'Credit' to tender the transaction.
- Swipe, tap, insert, or manually enter a credit card.
Visit our Accepting Credit Cards article for help processing a credit card.
- On the tip screen, tap 'Adjust Tip Later'.
- Enter a name for the check (optional) and tap 'Save'.
By default, the check’s name is set to the name of the customer tagged to the sale. If no customer is selected, the name defaults to Walk-in plus the current time.
- After the customer signs the receipt, open the Control Panel and tap 'Checks'.
- Select the check marked 'Awaiting Tip'.
To learn more about the Checks screen, visit our Open Checks article.
- Enter the tip amount from the receipt and tap 'Charge'.
- If prompted, the cashier either taps ‘Yes’ to confirm the gratuity amount or ‘Re-enter Gratuity’ to enter a different amount.
This warning appears when the gratuity entered is less than 5% or more than 50% of the sale total. The 5% tip warning is available on the on the ShopKeep Register for iOS v3.0.0 and above. For help updating the app, visit our Introduction to the iPad article.
- Select a receipt option and tap ‘Done’ or tap 'No Receipt'.