Running Sales at the Register
From ringing up items, applying discounts, and tagging customers to accepting payment, learn what you need to know about running sales at the register.
Watch our Run a Sale & Return video:
Table of Contents
Ring Up Items
Every sale starts by ringing up the items a customer is purchasing. After adding items to the sale, a cashier can change item quantities, remove items, or discard the entire order.
Add Items to the Sale
- Tap a button, search by item name, SKU, or UPC, or scan an item to add it to the sale.
Change Item Quantities
There are two different ways to change the quantity of an item on the sale:
- Tap + or – to increase of decrease the sale quantity.
- Tap the quantity, enter a new number, and tap 'Done'.
Remove Items from the Sale
Cashiers can either remove individual sale items or discard the entire sale:
- Swipe right-to-left across a line-item and tap 'Delete' to remove it.
- Tap 'Discard' to get rid of all items on the sale.
Tag a Customer
If you want to track customer purchases and contact details, tag a customer to the sale. Customers added at the register sync directly to your BackOffice.
Visit the Manage Customers article to learn how to edit customers at the register and in BackOffice.
- Tap 'Select Customer' to tag a customer to the sale.
Tag a customer at any point during the transaction to add them to the sale. You cannot tag a customer after the sale is complete.
- Select a customer from the list or tap the + to add a new customer.
When adding a new customer, a warning will prevent you from adding duplicate email addresses.
Check out the Sales by Customer Report in BackOffice to see your top customers by sales count and amount spent.
Apply a Discount
Discounts allow the cashier to remove a dollar amount or percentage from a line item or the entire sale.
Visit the Discounts article to learn how to set up your own custom preset discounts.
- Tap the discount button on a line item to discount that item.
- Tap 'Discount' to discount the entire sale.
By default, sale-level discounts include non-discountable items. Visit our troubleshooting guide to learn how to change your discount settings.
Check out the Sales by Discount Report in BackOffice to see your top discount by sales count and amount discounted.
Remove the Tax
If a customer is tax exempt, the cashier may need to remove the sales tax from a sale or individual items.
- Tap the green check button next to 'Tax' to toggle the tax off or on.
Save the Check
After selecting items, save the sale as a check to come back and process its payment at a later time.
- Tap 'Save'.
- Enter a name for the check and tap 'Save'.
Visit the Open Checks article to learn more about using checks at the register.
Payment & Receipt
When a customer is ready to pay, select their payment tender and print/email a receipt to finish the sale.
- Select a tender to accept payment for the sale.
Cash – Tell customers the total due, make change, and offer a receipt.
Print Check | Prints a non-final receipt copy.
Gift Card | Customer pays with a store gift card.
Other | Used for any alternate tender not built in.
Save | Keep the sale open to revisit later.
Split Tender | Accept up to 9 different payments in one sale.
- Select an option for receipt (optional) and tap 'Done'.
Email Receipt – A copy of the sales receipt is sent to an email address.
Click here to learn how to customize your email receipt.
Print Receipt – A copy of the sales receipt prints out at your receipt printer.
Click here to learn how to set up your paper receipt.
Print Gift Receipt – Print a copy of the sales receipt without the price.