Sales by Category Report
Analyze the sales performance of item categories with the Sales by Category report. See which categories generate the most sales/returns, which have the highest costs, and which are most profitable.
Table of Contents
Run the Report
From BackOffice, run the Sales by Category report for an overview of sales activity across all categories during a specific time period.
- Click 'Analytics' and select 'Categories'.
- Click the Date icon to choose a preset or custom range, then click 'Retrieve'.
Read the Report
The Sales by Category report shows which types of stock items are in demand and which are not. Learn to read this report and master its data to make more informed business decisions.
The charts show top categories by quantity of items sold & by sales amount for the selected date range.
The term Other is a combination of all categories outside the top 10.
- Hover over or tap on a bar to see the quantity/amount and percent of total for that category.
The Table View provides more specific details about each category for the selected date range.
The following table columns display by default:
Sales Amount | Total sales amount before discounts, returns, gratuity, and tax.
Costs | The business cost of items sold minus the cost of items returned.
By default, Cost is calculated using the weighted average cost at the time of sale for each item.
To use last cost, follow the steps here to disable the weighted average cost feature.
Discounts | Discounts on sold items minus discounts on returns.
Want more detail on discount usage? Check out the Sales by Discount report.
Net Sales | Sales Amount, minus Returns Amount, and minus Discounts.
Gross Margin | Percentage of Net Sales left after accounting for cost.
Gross Profit | Net Sales minus Costs.
Returns Amount | Total returns amount before discounts, gratuity, and tax.
- Click any header with arrows to sort the table ascending/descending.
- Click any row to view the sold/returned items for that category.
Check out the related Sales by Department report next. Visit the Sales by Department article to learn how to access and read this report.
Filter the Report
Use the filter tool to hide categories from the report or to enable additional table columns.
- Click 'Filter'.
- To hide a category, uncheck its box.
- To show a table column, click 'Show/Hide Columns' and check its box.
Export the Report
Download a copy of the Sales by Category report to analyze and filter its data using spreadsheet software.
- On the Table View, click 'Export'.
- Wait for the export to be generated. Check the box to be notified by email when exports are ready for download (optional).
Exports ready in a few seconds will automatically download. Click ‘Close’ to close the message box.
Exports that take more than a few seconds to generate are downloadable via the Export Center when ready. Click ‘OK’ to close the message box.
- After downloading, the export is ready to open in any spreadsheet software.
Print the Report
Use the Print feature to generate the report in a printer-friendly format that can be printed or saved.
- Click 'Print'.
- Wait for the report to open in a new browser tab.
- Click 'File' on the web browser’s menu and select 'Print'.
Or, save the print view as a PDF for easy sharing.