Cashier Functions Troubleshooting
This guide covers issues that may occur while performing cashier functions from the register’s Control Panel.
Table of Contents
- History / Returns Issues
- I accidentally returned a sale.
- The sale I need to return is not on the 'History / Returns' screen.
- "No transactions match that receipt number."
- The 'Credit' button is grayed out on the return screen.
- “Returning too much” / "Already returned"
- "Connection failed"
- I cannot find the receipt I need to reprint.
- I get an error message when I try to reprint a receipt.
- Shift Report Issues
- I cannot print my X/Z report.
- Gift Card Issues
- "This register does not have gift cards set up yet."
- “Couldn’t connect to gateway”
- Why do I have to manually enter the gift card number?
- When manually entering a gift card, where can I find the expiration date?
History / Returns Issues
This section deals with problems you might run into when returning a sale or reprinting a receipt.
I accidentally returned a sale.
Don’t worry, mistakes happen. You cannot cancel or undo a return, but you can balance out your net sales and inventory quantities by running another sale.
- Run a sale for the same items that you returned.
- Tender the sale the same way you did the return.
If the return was for Credit, you need to swipe the customer’s card again to charge them.
The sale I need to return is not on the 'History / Returns' screen.
This screen only shows transactions from the current shift.
For transactions made outside of the current shift, tap the search bar to search for the transaction number by the transaction number (found on the receipt) or the last 4 digits of the credit card used. You can also tap the arrow to filter your search by customer contact information (name, email, or phone number) or to scroll through your customer list.
Visit our complete Performing Returns article for more information.
"No transactions match that receipt number."
If you see this error when searching for a transaction by receipt number, there was a problem with how you entered the number. Try searching by the last 4 digits of the credit card used or the customer’s contact information instead.
- Check that you entered the correct number from the receipt.
It is the 19 digit Transaction #, not the Order #.
- Re-enter the receipt number and try again.
Be careful not to make a mistake or miss a digit.
The 'Credit' button is grayed out on the return screen.
A cashier can only return a sale to ‘Credit’ if the original sale was paid for with a credit card. If the ‘Credit’ button is grayed out, you must return the sale to a different tender.
“Returning too much” / "Already returned"
These errors indicate that the amount you are trying to refund is more than the original sale. This is because either a portion of the sale or the entire sale was already returned.
- Remove items from the return or process a manual return.
ShopKeep must be connected to the internet to make sure a sale was not already returned.
- Troubleshoot your network connection.
- Attempt the return again.
- If still unable to complete the return, process a manual return.
I cannot find the receipt I need to reprint.
By default, the History / Returns screen only displays transactions from the current shift. If you cannot find the transaction you need to reprint, use the search bar to search all shifts, past and present.
Visit the Using the Register article to learn how to search by transaction #, by the last 4 digits of a credit card, or by customer.
I get an error message when I try to reprint a receipt.
Check out one of our printer troubleshooting guides to resolve the issue with your printer.
Shift Report Issues
Trouble with the Shift Report? We’ve got you covered.
I cannot print my X/Z report.
Use one of our printer troubleshooting guides to diagnose and solve the problem.
Gift Card Issues
Trouble checking the balance of a gift card? Keep reading for answers.
"This register does not have gift cards set up yet."
If you got an email stating your account is set up for gift cards, follow the steps below to fix this issue.
- Make sure you followed all of our setup instructions.
- Get Updates on your register.
- Try checking the gift card's balance again.
“Couldn’t connect to gateway”
Gateway errors happen when the iPad has a poor connection to the internet or no connection at all.
- Press your iPad’s home button to exit ShopKeep.
- Open the Safari web browser and try to visit a webpage.
If you are able to load a webpage, try to manually enter the gift card. Otherwise, continue below.
- Open the iPad’s Settings app.
- Check that you are connected to your normal WiFi network.
- If connected to WiFi and the problem persists, troubleshoot your router / modem or contact your internet service provider (ISP).
Why do I have to manually enter the gift card number?
This means there is a problem with the connection between ShopKeep and your credit card reader.
Check out our credit card reader troubleshooting guides for help with this problem.
When manually entering a gift card, where can I find the expiration date?
ShopKeep gift cards do not expire and do not have expiration dates printed on them. The processing gateway requires an expiration date, so simply enter any future date into the field.