Zebra USB Barcode Scanner Setup
Set up the Zebra DS2208 USB Barcode Scanner and stand with the ShopKeep Register for iOS to ring up items by scanning 1D product barcodes and verify age-restricted items by scanning 2D barcodes from state-issued IDs and driver’s licenses. Use the included stand to enable hands-free scanning for quicker transactions. After setting up this device, add item UPC codes and set up sales restrictions in BackOffice.
To learn how to set up the Zebra scanner with the Sunmi T2 Lite, visit our setup article here.
Table of Contents
In the Box
The Zebra DS2208 USB Barcode Scanner ships with the parts listed below.
Set up the Zebra USB barcode scanner by connecting it to a ShopKeep iPad register to begin using it to ring up items and verify age-restricted products.
- Plug a Lightning cable into the Lightning to USB Adapter.
- Plug the USB end of the Lightning cable into an iPad power adapter.
Be sure to use the power adapter that came with the iPad. Other adapters may not provide enough energy to charge the iPad and power the scanner.
- Plug the power adapter into a power outlet.
- Connect the Lightning to USB Adapter to the iPad’s charging port.
- Plug the non-USB end of the scanner cable into the barcode scanner.
- Plug the USB end of the scanner cable into the Lightning to USB adapter.
- Scan the 'Add Enter Key' barcode found below or on page 8 of the quick start guide to complete setup.
Failure to complete this step will prevent the scanner from working in the ShopKeep Register app.
Set up the stand included with the Zebra USB barcode scanner to enable hands-free scanning for easy access and quick transactions.
- Unscrew the wingnut from the stand shaft.
- Insert the shaft into the stand base and tighten the wingnut.
- Place the scanner in the stand.
Add UPC Codes
Add item UPC codes to BackOffice to be able to scan those items at the register. For large quantities of items, consider using Bulk Management to import UPC codes from a spreadsheet.
For items without UPC codes, use a DYMO LabelWriter 450 Label Printer to print barcode labels from BackOffice.
- Visit the Item List in BackOffice or from the iOS ShopKeep Register app.
In BackOffice, click ‘Items’ and select ‘Item List’. In the iOS ShopKeep Register app (v4.0 and above, Business Owners and BackOffice Managers only), select ‘Manage Items’ from the Main Menu.BackOfficeiOS ShopKeep Register App
- Select an item to edit or add a new item.
- Click the 'UPC' field and scan (or manually type) the UPC code on the item.
UPC codes must be 8, 12, or 13 digits long and cannot begin with 2, 4, or 5.
- Select a save option to finish editing or creating the item.
- If adding UPC codes in BackOffice, Get Updates from BackOffice on each register to sync the changes.
Set Up Sales Restrictions
In BackOffice, set up sales restrictions to set a minimum age and maximum purchase quantity for specific departments and categories of items. With age-restricted items, cashiers must scan the customer’s ID before the register will allow the restricted item to be sold.
- In BackOffice, click ‘Items’ and select ‘Sales Restrictions’.
- Click ‘Add New’.
- Fill in the ‘Details’ and ‘Settings’ fields.
For a complete explanation of each field, visit our Sales Restrictions article.
- Click ‘Save’.
- On each register, Get Updates from BackOffice to sync the changes.
The scanner is now ready to scan state-issued IDs and driver’s licenses to verify age-restricted items in ShopKeep. To learn how to ring up restricted items at the register, visit our Sales Restrictions article.