Using the Register
The ShopKeep Register app is where you’ll run sales, place orders, open shifts, close shifts, and perform returns among other things. Let’s take a tour of the register and all that it has to offer.
If you have questions about using the register, check out our iPad Register FAQ page.
Table of Contents
Transaction Screen Help
Here’s a quick guide to some of your register’s functions. It’s available on the Control Panel by tapping ‘Help‘.
Running a Sale
Every sale is made up of a few things: the customer’s order, available inventory, and tender(s) the customer is paying with. After having a manager open the shift, follow the quick introduction below to run a sale.
View our Running a Sale video:
- Tap a button, search by name, or scan an item to add to the sale.
- Choose a tender / payment option.
To learn how to modify sales, visit the complete Running Sales at the Register article.
If you are having problems running sales, check out our Transaction Screen Troubleshooting guide.
Issuing Gift Cards
Gift Cards are sold like any other item on your register. Setting open pricing from your BackOffice lets you choose the value when you sell it.
View our Gift Card video below:
- Tap to add the Gift Card item to a sale.
- Use the keypad to enter an amount to load on the card. Press 'Done'.
- Choose a tender to process the sale as usual.
- Swipe the gift card to activate it.
- Finish the sale and print/email a receipt.
To learn how to set up gift cards, visit the full ShopKeep Gift Cards article.
If you have questions about gift card ordering, processing, or setup, visit our Gift Card FAQ.
Saving a Check
- Add items to the check as usual.
- Tap 'Save' to create a check for later.
- Leave as Walk-in with timestamp, or name it by typing a name or swiping their card.
Tag a customer to the sale before saving to put their name on the check automatically.
- Tap 'Save' to save the check.
Visit the complete Open Checks article to learn how to manage your open checks.
If you are having trouble with open checks, visit the Checks Screen Troubleshooting guide.
Performing a Return
Reverse past and present shift transactions at your register by processing a return.
- Tap History / Returns on the Control Panel.
- Choose a sale from the current shift and tap 'Begin Return'.
For transactions from a previous shift, tap the search bar to search past transaction history. Search by the transaction number found on the original receipt, the last 4 digits of the credit card used, or the customer’s contact information (name, email, phone number).
- Select the items for return.
The highlighted items will be returned. Tap ‘Select all’ to return all items.
- Choose a tender to return to the customer.
The original sale tender is the suggested tender for return. Sales can only be returned to Credit if originally paid by credit.
- Select Print or Email Receipt (optional) and tap 'Done'.
To learn about other methods of making returns, visit the full Performing Returns article.
If you have a returns related problem, visit our Cashier Functions Troubleshooting page for help.
ShopKeep offers a few different ways to provide receipts for your customers. Have your customer select between email receipt, printed receipt, or a gift receipt.
At the end of each transaction, you’ll see print options to allow your customer to choose how they want to receive their receipt.
Email Receipt – A copy of the sales receipt is sent to an email address.
Click here to learn how to customize your email receipt.
Print Receipt – A copy of the sales receipt prints out at your receipt printer.
Click here to learn how to set up your paper receipt.
Print Gift Receipt – Print a copy of the sales receipt without the price.
If a customer needs an extra copy of their transaction receipt, visit the History/Returns screen to reprint it.
- Tap 'History / Returns' on the Control Panel.
- If the transaction is from the current shift, find it on the list.
- If the transaction is from a previous shift, use the search bar to look it up.
Search by transaction number or last 4 digits of the customer’s credit card.
Or tap the arrow and select ‘Customer’ to search by customer name, email, or phone #.
- Select the transaction and tap ‘Print Receipt’
Or tap the arrow and ‘Print Gift Receipt’ to print a copy without prices.
Receipt not printing? Visit one of our Receipt Printer Troubleshooting guides for help.