Using the Register
The ShopKeep Register app is where you’ll run sales, place orders, open shifts, close shifts, and perform returns among other things. Let’s take a tour of the register and all that it has to offer.
If you have questions about using the register, check out our iPad Register FAQ page.
Table of Contents
Transaction Screen Help
Here’s a quick guide to some of your register’s functions. It’s available on the Control Panel by tapping ‘Help‘.
Running a Sale
Every sale is made up of a few things: the customer’s order, available inventory, and tender(s) the customer is paying with. After a manager opens the shift, follow the quick introduction below to run a sale.
View our Running a Sale video:
- Tap a button, search by item name, SKU, or UPC, or scan an item to add it to the sale.
To hide the register button layout, tap the icon in the bottom left. This feature is available on the ShopKeep Register on The Mini / The Station and on the ShopKeep Register for iOS v2.42.0 and above. For help updating the app, visit our Introduction to the iPad article.
- Select the customer's payment tender.
To learn how to apply discounts, remove tax, and more, visit our Running Sales at the Register article.
Having problems running sales? See our troubleshooting guide.
Issuing Gift Cards
Gift Cards are sold like any other item on your register. Setting open pricing from your BackOffice lets you choose the value when you sell it.
View our Gift Card video below:
- Tap to add the Gift Card item to a sale.
- Use the keypad to enter an amount to load on the card. Press 'Done'.
- Choose a tender to process the sale as usual.
- Swipe the gift card to activate it.
- Finish the sale and print/email a receipt.
To learn how to set up gift cards, visit the full ShopKeep Gift Cards article.
If you have questions about gift card ordering, processing, or setup, visit our Gift Card FAQ.
Saving a Check
- Add items to the check as usual.
- Tap 'Save' to create a check for later.
- Leave as Walk-in with timestamp, or name it by typing a name or swiping their card.
Tag a customer to the sale before saving to put their name on the check automatically.
- Tap 'Save' to save the check.
Visit the complete Open Checks article to learn how to manage your open checks.
If you are having trouble with open checks, visit the Checks Screen Troubleshooting guide.
Performing a Return
Reverse past and present shift transactions at your register by processing a return.
- Tap History / Returns on the Control Panel.
- Tap the 3 dot menu on any sale then tap 'Begin Return'.
To return a sale from a previous shift, search by transaction number (found on the original receipt), by last 4 digits of the credit card used, by the customer’s contact details (name, email, phone number), or scan the barcode on the original receipt (if enabled).
- Select the items for return.
The highlighted items will be returned. Tap ‘Select all’ to return all items.
- Choose a tender to return to the customer.
The original sale tender is highlighted in red as the suggested tender for return. Tap ‘More…’ to use a different tender, such as ‘Gift Card’. Sales can only be returned to ‘Credit’ if originally paid by credit.
- Select Print or Email Receipt (optional) and tap 'Done'.
To learn about other methods of making returns, visit the full Performing Returns article.
If you have a returns related problem, visit our Cashier Functions Troubleshooting page for help.
Check Quantity on Hand
Look up an item’s quantity on hand (QoH) to see how much is in stock.
To learn how to check an item’s quantity on hand on the ShopKeep Register on The Mini or The Station, visit our help article here.
- Search for an item.
- Tap the blue ‘i’ to view the item’s quantity.
- Review the quantity on hand, then tap ‘Done’ to return to the transaction.For basic items, the total quantity for that one item is displayed.For items with variants, the total item quantity is shown along with a breakdown by individual variant.
ShopKeep offers a few different ways to provide receipts for your customers. Have your customer select between email receipt, printed receipt, or a gift receipt.
At the end of each transaction, you’ll see print options to allow your customer to choose how they want to receive their receipt.
Email Receipt – A copy of the sales receipt is sent to an email address.
Click here to learn how to customize your email receipt.
Print Receipt – A copy of the sales receipt prints out at your receipt printer.
Click here to learn how to set up your paper receipt.
Print Gift Receipt – Print a copy of the sales receipt without the price.
If a customer needs an extra copy of their transaction receipt, visit the History/Returns screen to reprint it.
- Tap 'History / Returns' on the Control Panel.
- If the transaction is from the current shift, find it on the list.
- If the transaction is from a previous shift, use the search bar to look it up.
Search by transaction number or last 4 digits of the customer’s credit card.
Or tap the arrow and select ‘Customer’ to search by customer name, email, or phone #.
- Tap the 3 dot menu on the transaction then tap ‘Print Receipt’.
Tap ‘Print Gift Receipt’ to print a copy without prices.
Note: Gift receipts can only be printed from the current shift.
Receipt not printing? Visit one of our Receipt Printer Troubleshooting guides for help.