iCMP Credit Card Reader Troubleshooting
This guide will help you identify and resolve issues that may arise while using the Ingenico iCMP Credit Card Reader. If this is your first time setting up the iCMP, check out our setup guide.
Table of Contents
- Pairing Issues
- The iCMP won’t display “BT Pairing Required.”
- “Pairing Unsuccessful. Pairing took too long.”
- "App Not Installed...".
- My iPad is not listed as an available device on the iCMP.
- Common Error Messages
- "No Payment Processor Found"
- “Couldn’t connect to processor”, “Couldn’t connect to gateway”, or “Can’t reach payment processor”
- “Error communicating with processor”
- “Not a Credit Card”
- "Activating Card Reader"
- iCMP Device Errors
- "This Lane Closed"
- "Alert Irruption" or "Ready to Download"
- Miscellaneous Issues
- I'm having problems accepting Apple Pay.
- Nothing happens when I swipe a card.
- ShopKeep displays a manual card entry screen.
- My iCMP is stuck on the “ShopKeep” screen.
- My iCMP displays "Swipe or Tap Card" when I’m not on a payment screen.
- My iCMP does not process EMV/chip card transactions.
- I’m having trouble with my iCMP Simplicity Stand.
This section focuses on issues that could arise while attempting to pair the iCMP with the iPad.
The iCMP won’t display “BT Pairing Required.”
- If your iPad asks for a PIN, tap 'Cancel'.
- Tap the black 'F' key four times in rapid succession.
- Pair the iCMP with your iPad.
“Pairing Unsuccessful. Pairing took too long.”
This error message appears on the iPad when you do not enter the iCMP pairing PIN in time. The entire PIN must be entered within one minute of initiating the pairing request.
- Tap 'OK'.
- If the iCMP still displays the PIN, wait a few moments for the iPad to ask for it again and reenter the PIN.
- If the iCMP displays “BT Pairing Required,” start the pairing process over.
"App Not Installed...".
Simply tap ‘Ignore’ to disregard this iPad error message and continue with the pairing process.
My iPad is not listed as an available device on the iCMP.
- Check to see if Bluetooth is turned off on your iPad.
If it’s off, switch it on. Your iPad should appear within just a couple of moments.
- If Bluetooth is on, hold the button above the iCMP’s micro USB port for 2-3 seconds to reboot the reader. Then, try to pair the device.
Common Error Messages
This section covers common errors related to processing transactions with the iCMP in ShopKeep. Visit our Credit Card Readers Troubleshooting homepage for any errors not listed here.
"No Payment Processor Found"
This error message means the account has not been set up for credit card processing.
- Contact your Point of Sale Specialist to sign up for ShopKeep Payments.
- Have an existing credit card provider? Ask them to fill out our Boarding Form.
- If you received an email stating the account was boarded, close the shift and open a new one.
“Couldn’t connect to processor”, “Couldn’t connect to gateway”, or “Can’t reach payment processor”
These errors occur as the result of the iPad having poor or no internet connectivity.
- Press the iPad’s home button to exit ShopKeep.
- Open a web browser and perform a Google search.
If results load, force quit and re-open ShopKeep, then run the credit transaction again.
If search results DO NOT load, follow these additional steps:
- Open Settings and tap 'Wi-Fi'.
- Check that the iPad is connected to the correct network. If not, switch to the right one, force quit ShopKeep, and try the sale again.
- If the problem persists, troubleshoot the router or contact your Internet service provider for help.
“Decline” means the attempted charge was refused by the customer’s bank.
- Tap 'Retry' to try charging the card again.
- If declined again, have the customer contact their bank or finish the sale with a different card / tender.
This may appear if the iPad is running an old version of ShopKeep or if the swiper is no longer functional.
- Update ShopKeep and try the transaction again.
- If the problem persists, contact ShopKeep Customer Care.
“Error communicating with processor”
This error is different from “Couldn’t connect to processor”. It most often indicates an issue with how the account is set up. Contact ShopKeep Customer Care for assistance.
“Not a Credit Card”
This message appears when an employee swipes something other than a credit card, like a gift card. It can also occur if a credit card’s magnetic strip is faulty or damaged and hard to read by the card reader.
- Swipe a valid credit card.
- If the swipe fails, try to manually enter the card information.
- If the card is a ShopKeep gift card, tender the sale as Gift Card and swipe again.
- If the problem persists, contact ShopKeep Customer Care for further assistance.
"Activating Card Reader"
This message indicates an error in the Bluetooth connection between your iPad and iCMP.
- Disable auto-lock on your iPad.
- Force quit the ShopKeep app, then open ShopKeep back up.
- In ShopKeep, open the Control Panel and tap 'Hardware Setup'.
- Select 'Card Readers'.
- If the iCMP is listed on this screen, tap on it and wait for a green checkmark to appear.
- If the iCMP is not listed on the Card Readers screen, follow the additional steps below.
- Unpair the iCMP from the iPad.
- Hold the button above the iCMP’s micro USB port for 2-3 seconds to reboot the reader.
- Wait for the iCMP to power off, power back on, and go through a few start-up screens.
- If the iCMP displays BT Pairing Required: re-pair the reader with the iPad.
- If the iCMP displays ShopKeep: quickly tap the iCMP’s F button 4 times and re-pair the reader.
If the problem persists, try moving your iPad and iCMP away from any potential sources of interferences like other Bluetooth devices, microwaves, and cordless phones.
iCMP Device Errors
This section covers error messages that may appear on the screen of the iCMP itself.
"This Lane Closed"
Just restart the iCMP to solve this problem and get back to business.
- Hold the button above the micro USB port for 2-3 seconds to reboot the reader.
- Run the transaction again.
"Alert Irruption" or "Ready to Download"
These errors indicate a hardware or software problem. Contact ShopKeep Customer Care for assistance.
This section covers miscellaneous issues that are not accompanied by an error message.
I'm having problems accepting Apple Pay.
If you set up Apple Pay but have trouble using it at the register, follow these steps to troubleshoot the issue.
- If an error message appears in ShopKeep or on the iCMP, follow the steps for that specific error.
- Have the customer hold their device closer to the iCMP.
They must hold their device within 1 inch of the reader.
- Check if the customer is using a compatible Apple Pay device.
Visit Apple Support for a list of devices supported for Apple Pay.
- Make sure the customer has set up Apple Pay on their device.
Visit Apple Support to learn how to set up Apple Pay on an eligible device.
- Ask the customer to restart their device, then try processing the transaction again.
Nothing happens when I swipe a card.
- Verify that the magnetic strip on the card is facing up as you slide it through the reader.
- If you’re swiping it correctly, there could be a problem with the card. Try using a different credit card.
- If multiple cards exhibit the same behavior, force quit the ShopKeep app.
- If everything else fails, unpair the iCMP from the iPad. Then, pair it and attempt again.
ShopKeep displays a manual card entry screen.
- Open the iPad’s Settings app and tap 'Bluetooth'.
- Look for “Ingenico” under My Devices. Most likely, its status will be “Not Connected.”
- If the iCMP screen displays “BT Pairing Required,” proceed by pairing the device again with your iPad.
- If the iCMP screen displays “ShopKeep,” tap the F key four times in rapid succession. Then, proceed by pairing the device again with your iPad.
My iCMP is stuck on the “ShopKeep” screen.
- On the Control Panel, tap 'Hardware Setup'. Then, press 'Card Readers'.
iCMP is listed, but there’s no green check mark: tap iCMP to reconnect.
iCMP is listed with a green check mark: force quit and reopen ShopKeep.
iCMP is not listed: tap the reader’s F button 4 times and re-pair the reader.
My iCMP displays "Swipe or Tap Card" when I’m not on a payment screen.
- Tap the 'Credit' button in ShopKeep. Does the ShopKeep app also display "Swipe or Tap Card"?
If it DOES:
- Cancel the transaction in ShopKeep. The iCMP should return to the ShopKeep screen.
If it DOESN’T:
- Force quit the ShopKeep app.
- Reopen ShopKeep on the iPad. The iCMP should now display the ShopKeep screen.
- If the iCMP is still stuck on “Swipe or Tap Card,” reboot it by holding the button above its micro USB port.
- Run a credit or gift card transaction to make sure everything is working as expected.
My iCMP does not process EMV/chip card transactions.
This is probably because your account is not currently yet set up for EMV. EMV is currently only available to ShopKeep Payments customers who are processing with a compatible card reader. To learn more about processing EMV with ShopKeep, visit our ShopKeep and EMV, EMV FAQ, and our ShopKeep EMV Liability Promise articles.
I’m having trouble with my iCMP Simplicity Stand.
Not to worry, just visit one the Simplicity Stand for iCMP Troubleshooting guide for help.