ShopKeep Pay Troubleshooting
This guide provides solutions to issues you may experience while logging into the ShopKeep Pay app and using it to tender and close saved sales and eCommerce online orders.
Need help downloading and using ShopKeep Pay for the first time? Visit our ShopKeep Pay for iOS article.
Table of Contents
This section covers issues related to logging into the ShopKeep Pay app.
I am unable to log into ShopKeep Pay.
If you receive an error when logging into ShopKeep Pay, make sure you have BackOffice access, check that your login details are entered correctly in ShopKeep Pay, and try again.
- Ask the Business Owner or an employee with relevant permissions to check if you have BackOffice access.
Cashiers and Register Managers must have a valid BackOffice login and cannot use a register code to log in. To prevent employees from accessing most BackOffice features while still being able to use ShopKeep Pay, assign them the ‘Receive Inventory’ role or uncheck all boxes on the ‘Permission List’.
For help managing employee permissions, visit the Manage Staff article.
- Re-enter the store name.
The store name is one word, lowercase, and contains no spaces.
- Re-enter the email address.
- For Business Owners, this is the email originally used to create the ShopKeep account.
- Other BackOffice users must provide the ‘Login Email’ entered for them in the Staff List.
- Re-enter the password.
The password is case-sensitive and should be entered the same as when signing into BackOffice. Can’t remember your password? Follow the steps here to reset it.
- Tap 'Log In'.
I need to log out of ShopKeep Pay
Logging out of the ShopKeep Pay app is not currently supported, but you can delete the app if it is no longer needed or reinstall the app to allow a different employee to use ShopKeep Pay on the same device.
- In ShopKeep Pay, open the Main Menu, tap 'System Diagnostics', and make sure there are 0 items in the 'Pending/Delayed Queue'.
If there are more than 0 items, follow the steps here to troubleshoot the pending/delayed queue before completing the next step. Failure to resolve the queue will result in data loss after completing step 2.
- Follow the steps here to delete the ShopKeep Pay app.
Failure to complete step 1 may result in data loss after completing this step.
- (Optional) Redownload ShopKeep Pay from the Apple App Store, and log in.
For help with this step, visit our ShopKeep Pay for iOS article.
Saved Sale Syncing Issues
This section covers issues related to how saved sales sync to ShopKeep Pay from the ShopKeep Register app and ShopKeep eCommerce.
Saved sales are not appearing in ShopKeep Pay.
This issue usually indicates Saved Sales Sync is not enabled on each register, there are internet connection issues, or eCommerce online ordering is not enabled. After troubleshooting these potential causes, manually refresh the Saved Sales screen if necessary.
- Follow the steps here to enable Saved Sales Sync on all relevant registers.
- Troubleshoot the internet connection on the iPhone running ShopKeep Pay and on each register.
For help completing this step, visit the next issue below.
- If online orders are not appearing in ShopKeep Pay, follow step 1 here to enable the online ordering feature in BackOffice.
- In ShopKeep Pay, open the Main Menu, tap 'Get Updates from BackOffice', and select 'Get Updates'.
“Register is Offline” or “Saved Sales Sync Unavailable”
These errors will appear when the device running ShopKeep Pay is experiencing an internet connection issue.
- Troubleshoot the internet connection on your device.
- Make sure at least 2 cellular or Wi-Fi signal bars are lit up.
- If connected to a Wi-Fi network, open the Settings app and check that you are still connected to the correct network.
- Open Safari and perform an internet search.
- If search results load, force quit and re-open ShopKeep Pay.
- If search results do not load, proceed to step 3.
- If the problem persists, perform steps 3a - 3b below.If connected to a Wi-Fi network, make sure your network follows our best practices. Ask someone familiar with the network to reboot the modem and router.Contact your internet service provider for help restoring the internet connection.
Credit Card Processing Issues
This section covers issues related to processing credit cards in ShopKeep Pay.
“Open on Register to Add Tip”
This error appears when attempting to close a Tip Later sale. This type of sale is not supported in ShopKeep Pay and must be closed in the ShopKeep Register app.
- Open the ShopKeep Register app.
- Visit the Saved Sales screen, and select the sale marked 'Awaiting Tip'.
- Follow steps 8 - 10 here to enter the tip and close the sale.
“Signature on Credit Receipts Not Supported”
This error appears when a ShopKeep account is set up to accept credit card signatures on paper receipts, a setting that is not supported in ShopKeep Pay.
Complete only one of the steps below to resolve this issue and finish the sale.
- Open the ShopKeep Register app, and finish the sale; OR:
- Tender the sale to 'Cash' instead of 'Credit' in ShopKeep Pay; OR:
- Follow the steps here to update the 'Signature' setting to 'On screen', then Get Updates in ShopKeep Pay and tender the sale to 'Credit'.
This error means the Card Number, Expiration Date, Billing ZIP, and/or CVV code were entered incorrectly for the credit transaction.
- Tap 'OK' to dismiss the error.
- Re-enter the card information.
- Most credit card numbers are at least 14 digits and begin with 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6.
- For Discover, MasterCard, & Visa: CVV is the 3 digits on the back of the card next to its last 4 digits.
- For American Express: CVV is 4 digits on the front of the card above the card number.
“Gateway Couldn’t be Reached”
This error occurs as a result of the device running ShopKeep Pay having little to no internet connection.
- Follow the steps here to troubleshoot this issue.
"Card Declined" Or "Decline"
‘Card declined’ and ‘Decline’ both mean the attempted charge was refused by the customer’s bank.
- Tap 'Retry' to try charging the card again.
- If declined again, have the customer contact their bank, or finish the sale with a different card or tender.
My credit card processing error is not listed here.
- Visit a credit card reader troubleshooting guide on this page to see if the error is documented.
- If unable to resolve the error, contact Customer Care for assistance.
This section covers miscellaneous issues not included in the sections above.
- Follow the steps here to troubleshoot this issue.
Tapping a Pay by Link sale does not open the receipt screen.
Pay by Link sales are not currently supported in ShopKeep Pay and must be closed from the ShopKeep Register app.
- Open the ShopKeep Register app.
- Follow the steps here to complete the sale at the register.
Sales closed in ShopKeep Pay do not appear on X and Z reports or the Shifts Summary report.
Because ShopKeep Pay does not use register shifts, saved sales closed in the app will not appear on X and Z reports run at the register or in the BackOffice Shifts Summary report. Saved sales closed in ShopKeep Pay are included in other BackOffice reporting, such as the Dashboard and Transactions Report.
On the Diagnostics screen, there are items in the Pending / Delayed Queue.
The Pending Queue / Delayed Queue represents the amount of data on its way to BackOffice from ShopKeep Pay. If the number of items in these queues is more than 0, follow the steps below to fix the issue.
- Make note of the number of items in the queue.
- Follow the steps here to troubleshoot the internet connection of the device.
- Wait 10 minutes, then check the queue again.
- Follow the set of steps below that reflects the behavior of the queue.
Wait until the queue reaches 0.
- If the number of items in the queue has decreased:
Make sure ShopKeep Pay has an internet connection.Load a website or perform another function that requires internet.If connected via Wi-Fi, ask someone familiar with your network to reboot the modem and router.Contact your internet service provider for help restoring the internet connection.
- If the number of items in the queue has not decreased:
The ShopKeep Pay app crashed.
The ShopKeep Register app may close unexpectedly or crash if it encounters an error. Follow the steps below to troubleshoot and fix this issue.
After each step, check to see if the problem is resolved before completing the next step.
- Update the ShopKeep Pay app to the latest version.
For help updating, visit our Introduction to the iPad article.
- Force quit, then reopen ShopKeep Pay.
- Turn your device off, then back on.
- Follow the steps here to delete and reinstall ShopKeep Pay.