This feature is only available for ShopKeep merchants on select pricing packages.
Sales by Item Report
The Sales by Item report allows you to track the business’s sold items. See which items sell best, discover which are most profitable, and view other types of sales data on an item-by-item basis.
Table of Contents
Run the Report
From BackOffice, run the Sales by Item report for an overview of individual inventory item sales.
- Click 'Reports' and select 'Items'.
- Click the date icon to choose a preset or custom range, then click 'Retrieve'.
- (Optional) Click the drop-down to select whether to run the report for the current location only or for all linked locations.
This setting is available to merchants with multiple linked locations and is only visible to the Business Owner. Visit our New Store Setup article to learn how to create a new linked location or our Multi-Store Management guide to learn how to link existing locations.
Read the Report
The Sales by Item report can show you which stock items are in demand and which are not. Learn to read this report to understand its data and discover new insights about the business.
The charts show top items by Quantity Sold and Sales Amount as percentages for the selected date range.
The term Other is a combination of all items outside the top 10.
- Hover over or tap on a bar to see the quantity/amount and percent of total for that item.
The table view provides detailed information about all items sold over the selected date range. The first row, Totals, gives the total for each column.
Quantity Sold | Total item quantity sold.
Sales Amount | Total item sales amount before discounts, returns, gratuity, and tax.
Quantity Returned | Total item quantity returned.
Returns Amount | Total item amount refunded before tax, gratuity, and discounts.
Costs | Cost of all sold items minus the cost of returned items.
By default, Cost is calculated using the weighted average cost at the time of sale for each item.
Discounts | Discounts on all sold items minus discounts on returns.
Want to see more detail on discount usage? Check out the Sales by Discount report.
Gross Margin | Percentage of Net Sales left after accounting for Costs.
Gross Profit | Net Sales minus Costs.
Net Sales | Sales Amount, minus Returns Amount, and minus Discounts.
- Click any header with arrows to sort the table.
- Click an underlined item to see the modifiers or variants sold for that item.
Example of an item with modifiers:
Example of an item with variants:
Looking for more detail on modifier and variant usage? Visit the Modifiers and Variants report.
Filter the Report
Filter the report by item to hide items you don’t want to see or to display only specific items. Filter by column to customize which table columns appear on the report.
- Click 'Filter'.
- To hide an item, uncheck its box.
- To show the item again, re-check its box.
- Use the filter controls to search for an item, select all items, and clear all selections.
- To hide a table column, click 'Show/Hide Columns' and uncheck a box.
- To show a column, re-check its box.
Export the Report
Download a copy of the Sales by Item report to analyze and filter its data using spreadsheet software.
- On the Table View, click 'Export' and select 'Sales by Item', 'Variants', or 'Modifiers'.
Sale by Item | Sales information for every item sold over the time period. See sample report.
Variants* | Shows all sold items and displays details for individual variants. See sample report.
Modifiers | Breaks down modifier usage for items with modifiers. See sample report.
*This export has ‘Product Name’ and ‘Line Item Name’ columns. For basic items, the item name is listed in both columns (i.e. Toaster | Toaster). For items with variants, the item name is listed in the first column and the variant name in the second (i.e. Pants | Large Blue)
- Wait for the export to be generated. Check the box to be notified by email when exports are ready for download (optional).
Exports ready in a few seconds will automatically download. Click ‘Close’ to close the message box.
Exports that take more than a few seconds to generate are downloadable via the Export Center when ready. Click ‘OK’ to close the message box.
- After downloading, the export is ready to open in any spreadsheet software.
Print the Report
Use the Print feature to generate the report in a printer-friendly format that can be printed or saved.
- Click 'Print'.
- Wait for the report to open in a new browser tab.
- Click 'File' on the web browser’s menu and select 'Print'.
Or choose to save the print view as a PDF for easy sharing.
Have questions about BackOffice reporting? Visit our Reporting FAQ for help.