Sales by Item Report
Track your most popular stock items with the Sales by Item report. See which items sell the best, which are most profitable, and which are discounted most often over any period of time.
IMPORTANT: Sales tax figures in reporting are estimates based on how you have configured your Tax Groups in BackOffice. For official filings, always verify your current local rates, then manually calculate tax using net taxable and non-taxable revenues. Be aware that tax laws can change at any time and you should contact a tax professional for specific tax advice regarding your business.
Table of Contents
Run the Report
From BackOffice, run the Sales by Item report for an overview of individual item sales.
- Click 'Analytics' and select 'Items'.
- Click the Date icon to choose a preset or custom range, then click 'Retrieve'.
Read the Report
The Sales by Item report shows which stock items are in demand and which are not. Learn to read this report so you can understand its data and discover new insights about your business.
The charts show your top items by quantity sold & by sales amount for the selected date range.
The term Other is a combination of all items outside the top 10.
- Hover over or tap on a bar to see the quantity/amount and percent of total for that item.
The Table View provides more detailed information about sold items over the selected date range. The first row, Totals, gives the total for each column.
Quantity Sold | Total number of the item that was sold.
Sales Total | Total sales amount before discounts, returns, gratuity, and tax.
Quantity Returned | Total number of the item that was returned.
Returns Total | Total amount refunded before tax, gratuity, and discounts.
Costs | Cost of all sold items minus the cost of the returned items.
By default, Cost is calculated using the weighted average cost at the time of sale for each item.
To use last cost, follow the steps here to disable the weighted average cost feature.
Discounts | Discounts on all sold items minus discounts on returns.
Want to see more detail on discount usage? Check out the Sales by Discount report.
Margin | Percentage of Net Sales left after accounting for Cost.
Gross Profit | Net Sales minus Cost.
Net Sales | Sales Total, minus Returns Total, and minus Discounts.
- Click any header with arrows to sort the table ascending. Click again to sort descending.
- Click any underlined item to see the modifiers or variants sold for that item.
Example of an item with modifiers:
Example of an item with variants:
Filter the Report
Use the filter tool to hide items or columns you do not want to see.
- Click 'Filter'.
- To hide an item, uncheck its box.
- To hide a table column, click 'Show/Hide Columns' and uncheck a box.
Export the Report
Download a copy of your Sales by Item report to analyze and filter the data using spreadsheet software.
- On the Table View, click 'Export' and select 'Sales by Item', 'Variants', or 'Modifiers'.
Sale by Item | Sales information for every item sold over the time period. See sample report.
Variants* | Shows all items sold while displaying details for individual variants. See sample report.
Modifiers | Displays a breakdown of modifier usage for items with modifiers. See sample report.
* The Variants Export includes Product Name and Line Item Name columns, however basic items will have the item’s name listed in both columns (i.e. Toaster | Toaster), while items with variants will list the item name in the Product Name column and the variant in the Line Item Name column (i.e. Pants | Large Stone-Washed).
- Wait for the export to be generated. Check the box to be notified by email when exports are ready for download (optional).
Exports ready in a few seconds will automatically download to your computer. Click ‘Close’ to close the message box.
Exports that take more than a few seconds to generate are downloadable via the Export Center when ready. Click ‘OK’ to close the message box.
- After downloading, the export is ready to open in any spreadsheet software.
Print the Report
Use the Print feature to generate the report in a printer-friendly format that can be printed or saved.
- Click 'Print'.
- Wait for the report to open in a new tab in your browser.
- Click 'File' on the web browser’s menu and select 'Print'.
You can also choose to save the print view as a PDF for easy sharing.