After setting up your BackOffice, check out part 2: ShopKeep Register for Grocery Stores.
BackOffice is where you set up your business in ShopKeep. Import the grocery store’s inventory items, customize receipt settings, set up a register button layout, and explore additional features selected to help you run the business.
Table of Contents
Import Inventory Items
Grocery stores usually carry thousands of different SKUs, making it impractical to set up items one at a time. Import your entire inventory at once from a spreadsheet for a more efficient experience.
If you have questions about importing or managing items, visit our Inventory FAQ.
- Click 'Items' and select 'Bulk Manage Items'.
- Select 'New Job'.
- With 'Create New Items' selected, click 'Next'.
- Click 'Download a blank inventory template'.
- Follow the steps in our support article to fill in and import the template.
Paper Receipt Setup
Enter the business details that will appear on customer receipts plus any additional information you want printed at the bottom.
Most grocery stores prefer to print receipts. To learn how to set up email receipts, visit our Email Receipts article.
Check out our Receipt Settings video below:
- Click 'Settings' and select 'Receipts and Tips'.
- Click the 'Paper Receipt' tab.
- Fill in as much 'Business Info' as desired.
- Select a tip and signature option for credit card sales.
Most grocery stores pick one of the ‘Tip disabled’ options.
- Enter other information you want to include in 'Extra Text'.
Add a return policy, advertise an upcoming sale, etc.
- Click 'Save' to finish up.
Register Button Layout
Set up a register button layout so cashiers can quickly ring up unscannable items, such as produce.
Watch our Register Button Layout video below:
- Click 'Items' and select 'Register Button Layout'.
- Enter an item's name to find it on the list.
- Drag and drop the item into a position on the layout below.
Visit our Register Button Layout article to learn how to customize buttons and add additional pages to the layout.
Here are a few more key features we have handpicked for grocery stores.
Add your staff to BackOffice to track their sales and enable them to use the time clock.
If you have questions about adding or managing staff, visit our BackOffice FAQ.
- Click 'Staff and select 'Staff List'.
- Press 'Add Staff'.
- Enter the employee's information.
Register Code | For clocking in and out, ringing sales, and cashier controls.
Register Manager | Check this box to give access to manager controls.
BackOffice Manager | Check this box to assign the employee their own BackOffice login.
Don’t see ‘BackOffice Manager’? Visit our Staff Troubleshooting guide for help.
- Click 'Save' to finish up.
Visit our Manage Staff article to learn how to edit and delete employees and change employee settings.
Do you accept EBT cards through an external terminal, personal checks, or any tenders other than cash and credit? Here’s how to enable those tenders and more.
- Click 'Settings' and select 'Tenders'.
- Check the box to enable a tender.
Please note that these tenders are used for reporting purposes only and do not represent integrations with ShopKeep. Payment must be processed separately outside of the register for most tenders.
Visit our Tender Settings article to learn how to use these tenders at the register.
Maybe everything you sell is taxed the same or maybe you sell some goods that require a different rate. Learn how to set up tax rates so you can charge the right amount at the register for every item.
If you have questions about tax reporting, visit our Reporting FAQ.
The default tax rate is the percentage automatically applied to all taxable stock items.
- Click 'Settings' and select 'Taxes'.
- Click the default tax group.
In this case, Sales Tax is set as the default.
- Enter your rate and press 'Update'.
Additional Tax Groups
Create additional tax groups for items that are taxed at a rate different from the default (e.g. grocery items vs. retail goods).
- Click 'Add Tax'.
- Enter a name and rate, then click 'Save'.
- Assign relevant items to the new tax group.
This overrides the default tax rate for those items.
To learn how to change which rate is set as the default, visit our Manage Tax Settings article.