This guide is meant to help you fix common BackOffice inventory issues. If you’re having trouble managing items or using Bulk Management, continue below for help.
Table of Contents
- Inventory Item Issues
- The Items List only displays 10 items.
- An item’s quantity is stuck at 0.
- Some items have a negative quantity.
- I added new items but don't see them on the register.
- The cost / quantity of an item is wrong.
- How do I delete an inventory item?
- Bulk Management Issues
- “Imported file is invalid”
- "Uploaded file is already being processed"
- There were errors with my Bulk Management job.
Inventory Item Issues
This section covers problems you may run into while browsing and managing inventory.
The Items List only displays 10 items.
By default, the Items List displays the 10 most recently modified stock items. To view more, change the number of items displayed per page or navigate through the other pages.
- Click to adjust the number of items per page.
- Click through the page numbers to browse the rest of the items.
Want to view all items in a spreadsheet? Visit this support article to learn how to export your inventory.
An item’s quantity is stuck at 0.
If sales/returns do not affect the quantity, then the item’s ‘Track Inventory’ setting is disabled. Sales/returns are still recorded, but the system does not track the number of units on hand for the item.
Follow the steps below to begin tracking an item’s quantity.
- Select an item from the Items List.
- Turn on the 'Track Inventory' setting.
For basic items, change ‘Track Inventory’ to ‘True’ and click ‘OK’.
For items with variants, toggle on ‘Track inventory’ and click ‘Save’.
- Adjust the item's quantity on hand to the correct amount.
Visit the Receive & Adjust article to learn how to adjust items.
If you have many items to update, use Bulk Management to modify them all at once using a spreadsheet.
Some items have a negative quantity.
When an item’s quantity is 0 and you continue selling it, the quantity becomes negative.
I added new items but don't see them on the register.
Whenever you add or modify items, update the register to sync the iPad with BackOffice.
- Sign in to the register as a manager.
- Open the Control Panel and tap 'Get Updates'.
The cost / quantity of an item is wrong.
If you need to fix only the quantity of an item, use Adjust Inventory.
If an item’s cost is wrong, visit our Weighted Average Cost article to learn how fix it. If you have weighted average cost enabled, realize that correcting cost will overwrite your items’ average cost calculations.
How do I delete an inventory item?
Delete an item in BackOffice to completely remove it from your inventory.
If you delete an item and re-add it later, labels printed for that item will not scan at the register. New item labels will need to be printed.
- Select an item from the Items List.
- Click 'Delete' or 'Delete Item'.
- Click 'Continue'.
- At the register, open the Control Panel and tap 'Get Updates'.
Bulk Management Issues
This section focuses on issues you may run into while using Bulk Management.
“Imported file is invalid”
If you see this error or run into an error page, it means you did not save the import file correctly. Visit the Spreadsheets for Bulk Imports article for help saving your spreadsheet in the right format.
"Uploaded file is already being processed"
This error occurs when the current file upload is being processed and the status is pending. Check the upload status of the file from the Export Center.
There were errors with my Bulk Management job.
The first step in resolving Bulk Management errors is to figure out what went wrong. Luckily, an error log accompanies each faulty Bulk Management job.
- On the Bulk Management page, click 'Download errors (CSV)'.
- Open the file in spreadsheet software.
- Review the first column to see each item’s error:
Name already used – Items with the same Name exist in inventory or the import. Names must be unique, so remove all duplicates from the file.
- CSV file contains duplicate item names – Multiple items on the import spreadsheet have the same name. Remove all duplicates from the file.
- Name can’t be blank – The Name field was left blank. Fill in a name for each blank item.
- Name is too long – Item names must be under 255 characters. Shorten any Name over this length.
- Option Name cannot have more than 25 characters – Shorten any Option over this length.
- Option Value(s) cannot be blank if Option Name has a value – Each Option must have some Values. Add values to each Option.
- Option Value(s) cannot contain a value of Option Name is blank – Each set of Option Values must have a Name. Add an Option Name for each set of Values.
UPC must be either 8, 12, or 13 digits – Fix UPC codes that do not match this length. If UPC’s are in scientific notation or missing leading 0’s, check the formatting of this column.
UPC may not begin with 2, 4, or 5. – Fix UPC codes that begin with these numbers. If UPC’s are in scientific notation or missing leading 0’s, check the formatting of this column.
UPC already used – An item with the same UPC exists in inventory or the import, so remove duplicate UPC’s. If UPC’s are in scientific notation or missing leading 0’s, check the formatting of this column.
UPC may only contain digits – UPC’s can contain only digits 0-9, so remove any letters.
Cost and Quantity must both be zero when Track Inventory is ‘false’ – Set Track Inventory to ‘true’ or leave Quantity and Cost blank.
There is no Tax Group called ‘(tax)‘. Please use an existing group or create a new one. – Tax groups must be manually added to BackOffice before you can assign items to them. If all of your items use the same tax rate, delete the ‘Tax Rate’ column and try the import again.
Register Status must be either active or inactive – The Register Status column can only accept a value of ‘active’ or ‘inactive’. Set the status of each item to one of these values.
Unit is too long – Unit must be two characters or less. Fix any Units that exceed this length.
No item associated with ID – ShopKeep needs each item’s Item UUID to modify or delete items in bulk. Run a fresh Stock Items Export and try again.
- Correct each error and re-import the affected items.